Lf-cc

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-12, 09:36 AM
NewSpace
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by noncom23
Lexus Enthusiast Daily

The Lexus LF-CC: Next-Generation IS or GS Coupe?
Lexus LF-CC Live Coverage
Video: Lexus LF-CC Designers Discuss the New Concept
The Lexus LF-CC: Next-Generation IS or GS Coupe?
Posted: 27 Sep 2012 09:20 PM PDT

Ever since the Lexus LF-CC was announced, there’s been confusion about what production model it will eventually transform into — more to the point, is it the next-generation IS or a GS coupe?

The uncertainty started with the original press release, which referred to the concept as a mid-size coupe (GS-size), only to suggest it will also be part of the European D-premium segment (IS-size).

Normally, this mystery could be solved by consulting the vehicle dimensions — today, the first-known specifications of the LF-CC were published on the Lexus Global website:

Most of these numbers match closely with the current-generation IS (the LF-CC is 70mm/2.7″ longer, but has an identical wheelbase), except for one difference — the LF-CC width is exactly the same as the current fourth-generation GS. Still, this discrepancy can be explained — the previous GS & current IS shared the same width, so it makes sense that the new IS would mirror the increase of the new GS.

This comparison-by-number backs up the theory that the LF-CC is a precursor to a next-generation IS coupe — however, during today’s introduction of the concept at the Paris Motor Show, Lexus Europe director Paul Van der Burgh used some curious phrasing:

The design direction inspired by LF-CC will be applied to future Lexus vehicles in the D-premium segment and you won’t have to wait very long before seeing the first production vehicle.

Moreover, we can also confirm that Lexus is developing a rear-wheel-drive mid-size coupe, to be launched in the near future.

In the first part of the quote, Van der Burgh stresses that the LF-CC styling will be applied to a D-premium segment vehicle — obviously the IS — but makes no mention that this vehicle will be offered as a coupe. Following this up, he then says that Lexus is developing a RWD mid-size coupe that will be launched “in the near future”, suggesting that there’s also a GS-sized coupe in the pipeline.

Take these two statements together, and the whole question changes — instead of wondering if the LF-CC is the next-generation IS or a GS coupe, what if it was both at the same time?

Lexus LF-CC Live Coverage
Posted: 27 Sep 2012 12:49 PM PDT
This seems spot on. The design contains elements that will carry forward in several Lexus designs, including the IS and the GS coupe. I envision an IS with many of these design cues, but the street-ready version will look much more like a baby GS once the concept car flair goes away.
Old 10-02-12, 08:39 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Lexus to Introduce New Coupe Model?

According to a CarAdvice interview with the president of Lexus International, Kiyotaka Ise, the LF-CC concept that debuted last week at the Paris Motor Show may be a preview of the next-generation IS and a brand new separate coupe model:

Lexus used the 2012 Paris motor show to unveil its LF-CC concept that previews the company’s next-generation IS.

Ise-san, however, suggested the production version of the 3-Series coupe rival may adopt a different badge to the IS sedan.

“We’re not saying this is an IS coupe,” he said, “but it is a D-segment [3 Series class] car.”

Ise-san said the new IS sedan and the spin-off two-door will challenge the BMW 3 Series for driver enjoyment.

This would definitely add weight to the theory that the LF-CC is an composite of two distinct models — in fact, mentioning BMW as a main competitor may foreshadow Lexus’s strategy.

For the first time ever, BMW will be separating their entry-level model into two separate designations — the sedan will remain a 3-series, while the coupe & convertible will become the all-new 4-series. These newly-divided models from BMW will have one other key difference beside the number of doors* — the 4-series will be longer, placing it between the 3-series and 5-series sedans in length.

While it’s just pure guesswork on my part, it’s possible that Lexus may do something similar by making this new coupe bigger than an IS but smaller than the GS — this would have the potential of appealing to both IS & GS buyers looking for a coupe, and it opens the door for a future coupe to sit between the GS & LS.

But beyond all the speculation on size, the name itself makes for a good guessing game — what do you think this new model be called?

(* I purposely ignored the BMW 4-series four-door gran coupe, which just confuses everything.)
http://lexusenthusiast.com/2012/10/0...el/#more-11855
Old 10-02-12, 08:50 PM
noncom23
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like the "L" thing is taking off. so I would guess "LC". Like the old "SC".
Like the other concept on this forum. Maybe "LC 430"...:-))
Or "GC".
Old 10-03-12, 02:24 AM
Brian@Vossen
Former Sponsor

Thanks........
Old 10-03-12, 08:23 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

^NP

Originally Posted by noncom23
Looks like the "L" thing is taking off. so I would guess "LC". Like the old "SC".
Like the other concept on this forum. Maybe "LC 430"...:-))
Or "GC".
I thinking maybe IC? Lexus should save the SC nameplate for a GS based coupe. Than we have the big daddy, LC (rumored to be build on next gen LS chassis will also use the LS hybrid drivetrain so I guessing it will be called LC 600h?)
Old 10-05-12, 11:31 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Default Lexus LF-CC Coupe Concept Not an IS Coupe

At the recent 2012 Paris Motor Show, Lexus unveiled its LF-CC Concept which lead many to conclude that it was the Japanese automaker’s future IS Coupe model.

It appears, however, that the hybrid coupe won’t be making its production appearance for at last another one to two years, according to Kiyotaka Ise, president of Lexus International. But even more surprising is that Ise confirmed that what we’re looking at with the LF-CC Concept is not an IS coupe, despite it being a similar size to the IS.

There has been a good deal of confusion around the LF-CC Concept as Lexus confirmed it previewed an upcoming D-segment coupe. While the D-segment is the mid-size category for vehicles like the GS in North America, technically, the IS is classified as a D-segment car in Europe.

Now it appears as though Lexus intends to brand an IS-sized coupe as an entirely new model, using new nomenclature.

If there is one thing we can count on it’s that the next-generation Lexus IS will focus on hybrid power. Ise believes that the Japanese automaker is superior in technology, volume, and quality.
http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...-is-coupe.html
Old 10-05-12, 11:32 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Default Lexus hybrid to rival BMW M3

JAPAN is readying a potential rival to the BMW M3.

Lexus is doing the work and it's reflected in the great looking LF-CC concept car at the Paris motor show.

The new coupe is clearly a pointer to next year's replacement for the compact IS four-door sedan but, even more, the pumped-up look and a high-performance hybrid power pack point to a bigger target.

"This is the concept for the coupe that we want to launch as soon as possible. In the near future. One or two years," the president of Lexus International, Kiyotaka Ise, confirms to Carsguide at the Paris motor show.
He laughs when the talk turns to a Lexus rival to the M3.
But there is no denial.

"Steadily I think the driving performance is going up. In terms of driving performance, people are looking for and wanting a more aggressive driving performance," he says.

And what about the size and design future of the IS, as reflected in the LF-CC?

"This is a similar size type to an IS," Ise admits. "We're not really in a position to say anything but we're not denying it. It's not an IS coupe, but I think it will meet your expectation."

Earlier this year, Carsguide was told of a plan for TMG, which produced Toyota's latest hybrid Le Mans racer, to expand its German base into a facility to rival Mercedes AMG and BMW M. The announcement was made by the head of TMG, Yoshiaki Kino****a.

But Ise denies any plan and is defiant on Kino****a's announcement.
"I don't care what he says. We don't have any plans to have TMG be like AMG."

Even so, he says the technology in the Lexus V10-powered supercar, the LF-A, is trickling down through the range and the company is looking to boost its following with luxury buyers.

"For our competitors - Mercedes-Benz, BMW and Audi - driving performance is very important. We want to have an emotional driving connection," he says.
"I think when the car reaches the certain level, it's not whether you win or lose. It's the preference. I think it's more a matter of taste for the driver. But I think we've reached the top."

In the case of the upcoming IS, the focus is switching to hybrid power. The LF-CC concept is fitted with a car that combines a 2.5-litre four-cylinder petrol engine with electric power, aiming for CO2 emissions of less than 100g/km.

But it's still a performance pack and the engine combines an Atkinson combustion cycle with direct fuel injection. The concept is also rear-wheel drive.

"I think it's actually an advantage for us," says Ise, who also believes Toyota still leads on hybrids. "In technology, volume and quality we are superior.
http://www.news.com.au/news/lexus-hy...#ixzz28RO64vGw
Old 10-05-12, 11:33 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Default No Lexus Coupe Until 2014?

A production coupe based on the Lexus LF-CC is still one to two years away, according to a news.com.au interview with the president of Lexus International, Kiyotaka Ise:

“[The LF-CC] is the concept for the coupe that we want to launch as soon as possible. In the near future. One or two years,” the president of Lexus International, Kiyotaka Ise, confirms to Carsguide at the Paris motor show.

And what about the size and design future of the IS, as reflected in the LF-CC?
“This is a similar size type to an IS,” Ise admits. “We’re not really in a position to say anything but we’re not denying it. It’s not an IS coupe, but I think it will meet your expectation.”

While this may be a case of Lexus managing expectations, a two-year timeframe is not unusual — BMW introduced the new 3-series sedan last October and have yet to release the rumored 4-series coupe, while the gap between the Mercedes C-Class sedan and coupe was four years long.

Still, this does mean a long wait until the Lexus lineup has a coupe.
(Ise-san’s comments also confirm one other point — this coupe will not share the same name with the IS.)
http://lexusenthusiast.com/#B2esaCvfJZmWy5T3.99
Old 10-05-12, 12:43 PM
umpalumpa
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default uh, okay then...

...when the heck are we going to see a new IS!?!?!
Old 10-10-12, 12:30 PM
lunaC42
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SSSSHHHH! Completely anonymous source from Lexus...

Both the LF LC and LF CC are "planned for production" in the next 2-3 years, as well as a new CUV based on the RAV4 platform...

LF LC will be a luxury coup to replace the SC. Powertrain unknown, but not wimpy... $100,000+ range, as previously reported.

LF CC will be released STRICTLY as a new IS F, not in the IS range. Aggressive and purpose-built for performance. New V8 with 100 HP more than current IS F (516 HP???). LFA-style wheels. GS platform, so better back seat space. Price??? Unknown. New 2.5 L hybrid engine to find a new home.

New CUV? I love my RAV. Trade - in 2014?

BTW, the new LS F-sport to be released at the ed of October is supposed to have an even more luxurious interior than current LS, but no longer a couch on wheels...
Old 10-10-12, 10:06 PM
Trexus

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

^ ^ ^

Then I can't wait for a full size and mid size coupe...SC/SC hybrid and some form of IS coupe...
Old 10-11-12, 07:20 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

I think its been stated over and over again. The LF-LC is not a SC replacement. A GS base coupe would fill in the spot left by the SC430.
Old 10-11-12, 07:39 AM
noncom23
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Trexus
^ ^ ^

Then I can't wait for a full size and mid size coupe...SC/SC hybrid and some form of IS coupe...
I agree. Really looking for one
of these, hopefully the GS Coupe,
to be my next vehicle.
Old 10-11-12, 01:14 PM
NewSpace
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Coupes are coming in 2013. Still remains to be seen which is first. I'm thinking it might be the GS-class coupe first, then the IS-class. Lexus would be setting a precedent of releasing 4-door, then a year later the 2-door.
Old 10-12-12, 05:57 PM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lunaC42
LF CC will be released STRICTLY as a new IS F, not in the IS range. Aggressive and purpose-built for performance. New V8 with 100 HP more than current IS F (516 HP???). LFA-style wheels. GS platform, so better back seat space. Price??? Unknown. New 2.5 L hybrid engine to find a new home.
Thanks for the rumor. Quite disappointing news if it's true that there aren't more engine options. What's wrong with the 3.5L V6 or even the new 2.5L hybrid? By limiting the engine choice to a big honking V8 it's only going to be another excuse for them to say "coupe don't sell" a few years later and discontinue the model when the real reason is simply that they don't offer enough options to fit different needs like the competitors all do.

Last edited by ydooby; 10-12-12 at 06:01 PM.

Quick Reply: Lf-cc