Old 06-21-06, 07:45 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 130 Posts
Default Toyota Fuel Cell Hybrid Vehicle - FCHV Spy Photo's

Text by Hans G. Lehmann
Copyright by Lehmann Photo-Syndication
06-21-2006

Summer in Death Valley. A place so hot that the only visitors are an occasional Japanese or German tourist, a few dedicated spy photographers, and a small army of auto company engineers. Here is the searing crucible where every auto company tests to see if their latest vehicles can really take the heat.

Summer days typically hit 115° to 125° F. Sometimes more. Steep hills around the valley provide the perfect place for pulling heavily loaded trailers up the hills, straining the engine and cooling system to the max. These “ideal” conditions for testing are what brings the world’s car makers to this isolated spot every summer.

But this year there is something unusual spotted here. A fuel-cell powered vehicle. A Toyota FCHV to be exact. Actually the Toyota FCHV has been shown to the press and displayed at auto shows for several years now, just like many other fuel-cell vehicles. What is unusual is that this fuel-cell powered hybrid vehicle is being tested in Death Valley just like any normal gas or diesel vehicle. Powering up the hills, driving the highways, idling in the sun, in general doing all the required new-car tests.

While many of today’s fuel-cell vehicles are largely show cars, being displayed at auto shows and “Green-Car” gatherings, this FCHV is already being tested under some of the harshest conditions on the planet. This doesn’t mean that the FCHV is about to be introduced to mass production; but it does show that Toyota is committed to fuel-cell vehicles, and is already doing the real-world testing needed to develop such a car. There are still years of further work, testing, and development needed before such a fuel-cell vehicle is production ready, but it’s nice to know that they have already gotten started.

source : worldcarfans
Old 06-21-06, 08:33 AM
TheRupp
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Next Highlander, anyone?
Old 06-21-06, 09:13 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by TheRupp
Next Highlander, anyone?
That's an odd place to put the front license plate...

When is the next Gen Highlander and RX due?
Old 06-21-06, 09:29 AM
CVsIS250
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TheRupp
Next Highlander, anyone?
Looks like the current Highlander model to me. Minor changes here and there.
CV
Old 06-21-06, 09:30 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

too bad theres no economical way to extract pure hydrogen
Old 06-21-06, 11:40 AM
Overclocker
G35x - RWD/AWD goodness

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like Toyota is gonna beat GM at its own fuel cell game.
Old 06-21-06, 01:43 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

wow...it seems like the current Highlander has been on sale FOREVER.
Old 06-21-06, 02:54 PM
bizzy928
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
That's an odd place to put the front license plate...

When is the next Gen Highlander and RX due?
LOL I thought that was a huge "outlet" to plug the car in at night :P
Old 06-21-06, 03:12 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Overclocker
Looks like Toyota is gonna beat GM at its own fuel cell game.
This is exactly what I've been saying. Specifically, Toyota is committed not only to fuel cells, but to hybrids as well. Toyota has used fuel cell hybrid buses in operation at the World Expo in Tokyo recently, and now they are testing a fuel cell hybrid in the desert.

Anyone who thinks Toyota won't release a diesel hybrid or fuel cell hybrid in the future is only fooling themselves.

Toyota up to now, being a hybrid leader, will have an advantage in terms of fuel cells, since for many practical reasons, the first production fuel cell vehicle is very likely to be a fuel cell hybrid.
Old 06-21-06, 05:12 PM
lexusls430
Lexus Test Driver

Sounds great. I also like the 1st gen RX300 wheels. lol
Old 06-21-06, 07:57 PM
TheRupp
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lexusls430
Sounds great. I also like the 1st gen RX300 wheels. lol
lol good eyes, i didn't even seen those
Old 06-22-06, 04:49 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
This is exactly what I've been saying. Specifically, Toyota is committed not only to fuel cells, but to hybrids as well. Toyota has used fuel cell hybrid buses in operation at the World Expo in Tokyo recently, and now they are testing a fuel cell hybrid in the desert.

Anyone who thinks Toyota won't release a diesel hybrid or fuel cell hybrid in the future is only fooling themselves.

Toyota up to now, being a hybrid leader, will have an advantage in terms of fuel cells, since for many practical reasons, the first production fuel cell vehicle is very likely to be a fuel cell hybrid.
toyota already has an diesel hybrid (first in the world) sold commercially (Its small Van in Japan) since 2004.

Hybrid is an way for any kind of powertrain to get 30% better efficiency, no matter what it is.
Old 06-22-06, 04:55 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Honda is actually ahead of Toyota in the fuel-cell department with the FCX, http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...401_honda_fcx/. It has been in use for awhile now with some municipal governments, but it is essentially a small subcompact...smaller even than the Fit. Toyota, in the Highlander, has produced a much more substantial fuel-cell vehicle.
Old 06-22-06, 05:46 AM
Lvangundy

bah, I knew I should have posted this up back in March!

I saw this car around my area, took a pic on my phone and deleted it thinking nothing of it.

I guess it's time for me to post these new Tundra spy shots I have..
Old 06-22-06, 06:50 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Honda is actually ahead of Toyota in the fuel-cell department with the FCX, http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...401_honda_fcx/. It has been in use for awhile now with some municipal governments, but it is essentially a small subcompact...smaller even than the Fit. Toyota, in the Highlander, has produced a much more substantial fuel-cell vehicle.
actually no, Toyota and GM are considered leaders in Fuel Cell. FCH has been first approved fuel cell vehicle in Japan in 2002. It started development in 1992, first vehicle operating since 1996.

http://www.toyota.co.jp/en/tech/envi...hv/fchv10.html

And GM has an history with fuel cell development as well, and both companies are considered an leaders in the technology. Unfortunatly for GM, fuel cells are decades away from mass production...

Quick Reply: Toyota Fuel Cell Hybrid Vehicle - FCHV Spy Photo's