Lexus Prototypes and Next-Gen Technology

Toyota bets the farm on hybrids...

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-06, 09:26 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts
Default Toyota bets the farm on hybrids...

Toyota's Long View
Tuesday June 13, 5:00 pm ET
By Brian Gorman

Toyota (NYSE: TM - News) is the darling of the automotive world. Whereas American giants like Ford (NYSE: F - News) and General Motors (NYSE: GM - News) seem to stumble from crisis to crisis, Toyota has blazed a path to torrid growth. Now, the Japanese juggernaut is laying out another bold plan -- to rapidly increase the number of hybrid vehicles in its lineup. The company's aspiration doesn't make a lot of sense based on current data, but its plan seems to have less to do with today and more to do with the not-so-distant future.

Toyota currently offers five hybrid models, but by 2010, it plans to offer 10, with a target of 1 million hybrid sales annually after that year. Reuters quotes Masatami Takimoto, Toyota's executive vice president for technology development, as saying that hybrids "will be the core technology of the 21st century."

Takimoto's prediction seems fairly bold. True, Toyota's Prius continues to sell well, with 8,103 units purchased last month. However, sales of Toyota's other hybrids have not been nearly so robust. The new Camry hybrid, for example, had sales of 3,032 units in May, the first full month it was available.

The message from the divergence in Prius and the hybrid Camry sales numbers seems to be that consumers are looking for more fuel-efficient alternatives, but that price trumps all. The trend toward an increased interest in fuel miserliness also seems to be backed up by robust sales of the low-priced and highly fuel-efficient Yaris, a subcompact introduced a month before the Camry hybrid. With the Camry hybrid priced at $6,000 more than the base conventional model, though, consumer interest seems destined to stay limited.

However, just because the Camry hybrid is much more expensive than its conventional counterpart today, that doesn't mean the price difference will hold forever. Even if Toyota is not seeing strong hybrid sales beyond its Prius model at the moment, increasing hybrid production now is likely to help the automaker achieve its goal of halving the cost of hybrid powertrains and closing the price gap between hybrid and conventional models. If Toyota can make good on these plans, its darling status is likely to be secure for years to come.
Old 06-13-06, 09:33 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Toyota's Long View
Tuesday June 13, 5:00 pm ET
By Brian Gorman

Toyota (NYSE: TM - News) is the darling of the automotive world. Whereas American giants like Ford (NYSE: F - News) and General Motors (NYSE: GM - News) seem to stumble from crisis to crisis, Toyota has blazed a path to torrid growth. Now, the Japanese juggernaut is laying out another bold plan -- to rapidly increase the number of hybrid vehicles in its lineup. The company's aspiration doesn't make a lot of sense based on current data, but its plan seems to have less to do with today and more to do with the not-so-distant future.

Toyota currently offers five hybrid models, but by 2010, it plans to offer 10, with a target of 1 million hybrid sales annually after that year. Reuters quotes Masatami Takimoto, Toyota's executive vice president for technology development, as saying that hybrids "will be the core technology of the 21st century."

Takimoto's prediction seems fairly bold. True, Toyota's Prius continues to sell well, with 8,103 units purchased last month. However, sales of Toyota's other hybrids have not been nearly so robust. The new Camry hybrid, for example, had sales of 3,032 units in May, the first full month it was available.

The message from the divergence in Prius and the hybrid Camry sales numbers seems to be that consumers are looking for more fuel-efficient alternatives, but that price trumps all. The trend toward an increased interest in fuel miserliness also seems to be backed up by robust sales of the low-priced and highly fuel-efficient Yaris, a subcompact introduced a month before the Camry hybrid. With the Camry hybrid priced at $6,000 more than the base conventional model, though, consumer interest seems destined to stay limited.

However, just because the Camry hybrid is much more expensive than its conventional counterpart today, that doesn't mean the price difference will hold forever. Even if Toyota is not seeing strong hybrid sales beyond its Prius model at the moment, increasing hybrid production now is likely to help the automaker achieve its goal of halving the cost of hybrid powertrains and closing the price gap between hybrid and conventional models. If Toyota can make good on these plans, its darling status is likely to be secure for years to come.

Good find. The writer though, cannot compare a more expensive Camry Hyrbids sales with the Prius. Not to mention, the Prius production has been up and running for the last 3 years and has workers on overtime, while the Camry is BRAND NEW.

3k Camry hybrid sales is really incredible, about what 8% of sales?

Hyrids are not the final solution but they are one and kudos to Toyota for offering them
Old 06-13-06, 09:39 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 130 Posts

In a wide-ranging announcement in Tokyo of programs to develop and market environmental technologies and environmentally-friendly vehicles, Toyota Motor Corporation pledged Tuesday to double the number of hybrid models in its product line in the next five years.

The company also said it is pushing ahead on the development of plug-in hybrids, and is currently working on a next-generation hybrid that is capable of a greater range of electric-only operation.

In parallel with its hybrid program, Toyota announced that it will completely revamp its gasoline engine and transmission lineup by 2010 to improve fuel efficiency and reduce exhaust emissions. As part of this initiative, the company unveiled a new 1.8-liter gasoline engine and continuously-variable transmission that will be its main powertrain for compact and midsize passenger vehicles, starting with new-model vehicles due out this fall.

With a nod to the flex-fuel alternative touted by U.S. automakers, Toyota announced a 2007 launch of flex-fuel vehicles for the Brazilian market that can run on 100 percent ethanol. The company also said it's considering flex-fuel vehicles for the U.S. market.

Looking ahead, the company said it is continuing its fuel cell development program, with current efforts focusing on practical drivability issues like cold-weather startup.

Source: Toyota

Looks to us like Toyota is following the classic strategy maxim, "Hit 'em where they ain't," exploiting its lead in hybrid technologies to take away future market share from competitors without as strong a hybrid product line, like General Motors, Ford and Chrysler. At the same time, the company is covering its bets with high efficiency gasoline-only engines and flex-fuel vehicles that raise the bar from E85 to E100.

source : autoblog.com
Old 06-13-06, 10:40 PM
Trexus

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Toyota is definitely thinking long term over five to ten years ahead. Wow! I need to do that. Toyota will be so far ahead in hybrid technology that the other car manufacturers will be left behind. As we see gasoline/electric hybrids getting better and more efficient or we may see diesel/electric hybrids the next trend will be fuel cell(hydrogen)/electric hybrids and Toyota has the capital, technology and expertise to make it happen. I look forward to the future...

Great post of the article Paul...

Last edited by Trexus; 06-28-06 at 08:32 AM.
Old 06-13-06, 10:41 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Toyota currently offers five hybrid models, but by 2010, it plans to offer 10, with a target of 1 million hybrid sales annually after that year.
1 MILLION hybrids per year in 5 years!!?? Sorry but here's my bold prediction: it won't happen!

The market for hybrid is growing for sure, but no, not that fast. That 1M target is simply Toyota being way too optimistic.
Old 06-14-06, 06:00 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by XeroK00L
1 MILLION hybrids per year in 5 years!!?? Sorry but here's my bold prediction: it won't happen!

The market for hybrid is growing for sure, but no, not that fast. That 1M target is simply Toyota being way too optimistic.
with gas problems and prices now and hybrids rapidly approaching the price of a conventional engine which would you pick
Old 06-14-06, 06:09 AM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Question 5

Toyota currently offers five hybrid models, but by 2010, it plans to offer 10, with a target of 1 million hybrid sales annually after that year.

I ponder what the other 5 models will be? I am guessing Tacoma, ES, 4Runner, Rav4 & ummm, Yaris?
Old 06-14-06, 07:54 AM
Trexus

Originally Posted by GS69

I ponder what the other 5 models will be? I am guessing Tacoma, ES, 4Runner, Rav4 & ummm, Yaris?
I was thinking the same thing. Maybe it could be the ES, Avalon, RAV4, Sienna and a Scion model? Who knows but one thing is for sure Toyota will expand the hybrid line...
Old 06-14-06, 08:02 AM
Trexus

Originally Posted by XeroK00L

I'm sure by 2011 Toyota will be able to sell 1million hybrids worldwide annually. Yes it is a bold target but it's feasable...
Old 06-14-06, 08:09 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default People forgot the obvious 6th hybrid coming to the Toyota lineup...

I think Toyota will only use hybrids for their most popular models used for everyday (city) driving. My predictions:

1) Avalon: a car for the whole family, with gas savings in mind. It would need a more potent hybrid (250+ hp) and therefore need bigger batteries. The car's size can accomodate that.

2) Rav4: pretty much the SUV version of the Avalon: big, roomy, economic. It can share the same type of hybrid engine as the current Camry.

3) Corolla (or any Scion): If the hybrid Civic sells well, Toyota will definately add a hybrid for the next gen Corolla. It is the #1 selling car in the world. A Scion compact would benefit from this as well, but it needs to be a completely different model to reflect a hybrid buyer's wants: a car that is stylistically different that any other on the road (think Prius, not Insight). The xB however has the best space to accomodate the hybrid batteries.

4) Sienna: for the family, saves money, and has the space for the hybrid batteries.

5) The sixth hybrid coming out in the future is the LS600hL.

The First Five: Prius, Camry, Highlander, GS, and RX.
Old 06-14-06, 08:29 AM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Corolla

Altho I do agree that a hybrid Corolla would make sense, I did not include in 1 of my 5 choices bc it was so similar to the Prius. Toyota may try to vary out their hybrid lineup by doing something totally different like the Tacoma, especially since Americans have a hybrid truck {I know I know but for the sake of argument .... }.
Old 06-14-06, 11:43 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

The only kink may be if natural gas powererd vehicles get's the nod from other manufacturers. This is definitely a long term decision.

On Modern Marvels Super Tankers, that show had new ships dedicated to natural gas and their comment was fossil fuels would be around but dwindling till about the next 50 years. Interesting.
Old 06-14-06, 12:36 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by RA40
The only kink may be if natural gas powererd vehicles get's the nod from other manufacturers. This is definitely a long term decision.

On Modern Marvels Super Tankers, that show had new ships dedicated to natural gas and their comment was fossil fuels would be around but dwindling till about the next 50 years. Interesting.
yea those LNG tankers are nice, if the NG evaporates in the storage tanks they send the gas to gas turbines on the ship which produce electricity or propulsion instead of using energy to recompress it back to liquid, very efficient, barely anything goes to waste

Heard around the engineering office, BP purchased 6 LNG tankers from hyundai for 3 billion dollars
Old 06-14-06, 03:27 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 111 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Good find. The writer though, cannot compare a more expensive Camry Hyrbids sales with the Prius. Not to mention, the Prius production has been up and running for the last 3 years and has workers on overtime, while the Camry is BRAND NEW.

3k Camry hybrid sales is really incredible, about what 8% of sales?

Hyrids are not the final solution but they are one and kudos to Toyota for offering them
i mean it is just ridicilous article... Camry was on sale for a bit more than a week in May :-).
Old 06-14-06, 03:30 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 111 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by RA40

problem with natural gas is that it will last for as long as the oil lasts... I do believe that in some markets natural gas capable vehicles will become standard, since technology is already there and almost every petrol engine can run it.

Its pricing is also half of the price of petrol as well.

Quick Reply: Toyota bets the farm on hybrids...