Lexus Prototypes and Next-Gen Technology

Lexus VX (yes, VX, not a typo)?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-06, 04:15 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Lexus VX (yes, VX, not a typo)?

Saw a blurb on MotorTrend.com's future vehicle forcast for a 2008 Lexus VX.

From what it said it will be a car-based SUV based on the GS' chassis and V6/V8/hybrid drivetrain. Not intended to replace anything but rather to add an SUV option that's larger than the current RX but not as rough around the edges as, say, the GX (due to being a true truck based platform).

Any additional info on this? The really confusing part is after doing some searches for "Lexus VX" on google I found lots of people referring to it as the replacement for the LX and that it'd be based on the new 07 Tundra. That's nothing remotely close to the GS' platform.... so which is it. Is MT.com misinformed or do they know something that most others don't know yet?

I personally think it'd be a good vehicle if priced reasonably. My wife drives an 05 4runner limited at the moment and finds it to be a little too 'trucky'. But she doesn't want to give up her SUV because she likes the more commanding view of the road and we like to be able to occasionally haul stuff around in the back or take it on trips.
Old 01-30-06, 04:16 PM
LEXUS FAN!
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

originally it was rumored to be the LX replacement, but now JX has been registered for that, so VX is now a crossover SUV
Old 01-30-06, 04:19 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Another car to capitalize/expand on the RX market, perhaps?

Sort of like how Lexus hopes the IS will expand and capitalize on the ES price range category of buyers, but for a different type of customer?

So a future lineup will be: RX, VX, GX, and JX...

Last edited by encore888; 01-30-06 at 04:50 PM.
Old 01-30-06, 04:28 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by enigma354
Another car to capitalize/expand on the RX market, perhaps?

Sort of like how Lexus hopes the IS will expand and capitalize on the ES market?

So a future lineup will be: RX, VX, GX, and JX...
Well if you reference the chassis they're based on, I'd say it's more like RX is to VX as ES is to GS. At least that's how the car-based chassis plays out.

But yeah to me I'd expect the VX to be about the same size as the GX, but marketed as more of a luxury/sporty suv, kinda like the Infiniti FX, but larger.

Probably a much sportier and less utilitarian look and more luxurious ride, with significantly decreased off-roading and towing capabilities (though I must say, VW Toureg/Porsche Cayenne is unibody and can tow an amazing amount!)

The IS is not really meant to compete or expand upon the ES' market, but rather capture the BMW/Audi/C-class market that the ES would never dream of doing for fear of alienating its more luxury-oriented drivers.
Old 01-30-06, 04:33 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 130 Posts

The Lexus HPX concept introduced a couple years ago is said to be GS-based, so are they finally putting it into production as the VX ?

They should make it with a third row of seats . . .
Old 01-30-06, 04:34 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

[QUOTE=LexArazzo]The Lexus HPX concept introduced a couple years ago is said to be GS-based, so are they finally putting it into production as the VX ?

Edit: Please do not "quote" images

The GS back then and the GS now are pretty significantly different outside and inside (chassis/drivetrain). I wonder if it will even be close to the same?

Last edited by genearch; 01-30-06 at 11:20 PM.
Old 01-30-06, 04:36 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 130 Posts

Even back then, I think the new GS had already been unveiled, so I think they 're referring to the new GS even back then.
Old 01-30-06, 04:50 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Threxx
Well if you reference the chassis they're based on, I'd say it's more like RX is to VX as ES is to GS. At least that's how the car-based chassis plays out.

But yeah to me I'd expect the VX to be about the same size as the GX, but marketed as more of a luxury/sporty suv, kinda like the Infiniti FX, but larger.

Probably a much sportier and less utilitarian look and more luxurious ride, with significantly decreased off-roading and towing capabilities (though I must say, VW Toureg/Porsche Cayenne is unibody and can tow an amazing amount!)

The IS is not really meant to compete or expand upon the ES' market, but rather capture the BMW/Audi/C-class market that the ES would never dream of doing for fear of alienating its more luxury-oriented drivers.
Agreed. However I meant that the IS hopes to expand upon Lexus' success in the $30,000+ price range that the ES has done well in. It is not for the ES' market, I should not have said that...rather it is for the ES' price range, but a different market of performance-focused drivers.

It's also interesting that the 'VX' would be GS-based, yet not be given the 'GX' designation...I guess with the 'LX' being changed to the "JX," Lexus is moving away from SUV-sedan equivalent designations...which apparently sort of occurred with the RX.
Old 01-30-06, 05:18 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What numbers were trademarked with "VX"? I know that when they trademarked JX it was "JX470" but I don't remember the number for the VX.
Old 01-30-06, 05:22 PM
LexFather

I see no point in this. That market is pretty much full with some sporty SUVs, which are not big sellers anyway. The majority of people do want the actual U part, utility.

And its not like Lexus is going to make the sportiest, SUV, so why bother? Let the FX/X5, Range sport/Cayenne, etc have this small piece of the pie.
Old 01-30-06, 05:22 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Yuck yuck and double yuck.. I think the RX is the best looking in the Lexus SUV stable. Dont create that Infiniti FX knock off Lexus.
Old 01-30-06, 05:28 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

VX gas?
Old 01-30-06, 06:24 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

lexus has enough SUVs already
Old 01-30-06, 09:20 PM
BrickHead
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds good to me. So are we gonna see it in fall of '07?
Old 01-30-06, 09:27 PM
Trexus

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Personally in my opinion the Lexus VX is probably going to compete against the Mercedes R class. Also similar to the Chrysler Pacifica.

Quick Reply: Lexus VX (yes, VX, not a typo)?