Lexus Prototypes and Next-Gen Technology

Lexus IS CC Coming

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-05, 08:55 AM
Sup
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus IS CC Coming

Watch out BMW - Lexus is getting roofless. The German firm might have thought its forthcoming 3-Series CC was going to have a monopoly in the folding hard-top compact executive market, but there's another new model on the way.
Pictures in this week's mag give the world its first glimpse of Lexus's new IS CC. Currently under top-secret development in Japan, the four-seater will also take on canvas-roofed rivals in the shape of Audi's A4 Cabrio and the Mercedes CLK.

Losing none of the saloon's style, the IS should offer exceptional refinement. The super-slim roof panels will help to maximise space inside, and leave a large luggage area when folded.

Sharing its mechanical parts with the saloon, the IS CC will come with a full range of engines. These will include a 2.5-litre V6 petrol and an all-new 175bhp 2.2-litre four-cylinder diesel powerplant. While the petrol unit will be available with a six-speed automatic gearbox with sequential paddleshifters, the majority of IS variants are likely to have a manual transmission.

The standard saloon version of the IS was unveiled for the first time at March's Geneva Motor Show. With a sharp look and hi-tech underpinnings, it will pick up where its predecessor left off when it goes on sale late this year.

Breaking new ground for the firm, the folding hard-top version is unlikely to appear on price lists before 2007. Official details are being kept under wraps, but expect to see the new convertible in concept form at one of next year's major European motor shows.
Chris Thorp

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/56...e_cc_fold.html
Old 05-18-05, 09:00 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Sup
Watch out BMW - Lexus is getting roofless. The German firm might have thought its forthcoming 3-Series CC was going to have a monopoly in the folding hard-top compact executive market, but there's another new model on the way.
Pictures in this week's mag give the world its first glimpse of Lexus's new IS CC. Currently under top-secret development in Japan, the four-seater will also take on canvas-roofed rivals in the shape of Audi's A4 Cabrio and the Mercedes CLK.

Losing none of the saloon's style, the IS should offer exceptional refinement. The super-slim roof panels will help to maximise space inside, and leave a large luggage area when folded.

Sharing its mechanical parts with the saloon, the IS CC will come with a full range of engines. These will include a 2.5-litre V6 petrol and an all-new 175bhp 2.2-litre four-cylinder diesel powerplant. While the petrol unit will be available with a six-speed automatic gearbox with sequential paddleshifters, the majority of IS variants are likely to have a manual transmission.

The standard saloon version of the IS was unveiled for the first time at March's Geneva Motor Show. With a sharp look and hi-tech underpinnings, it will pick up where its predecessor left off when it goes on sale late this year.

Breaking new ground for the firm, the folding hard-top version is unlikely to appear on price lists before 2007. Official details are being kept under wraps, but expect to see the new convertible in concept form at one of next year's major European motor shows.
Chris Thorp

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/56...e_cc_fold.html

This is going to be one very HOT seller. Lexus like Benz will now offer 2 folding hardtops
Old 05-18-05, 09:22 AM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

That's great news.
I prefer the folding hard-top over those rag ones.
Old 05-18-05, 09:24 AM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sup
Hmm what does CC stand for anyway? Convertible-Coupe?
I actually wish it could lose some of its saloon's style and become more coupe-ish and aerodynamic like the G35. I'm never fond of the look of a "2-door sedan".
No mention of the already known 3.5L V6 for the sedan? So they wanna play this game of saving a better engine option for the 2nd or 3rd year of the product cycle again? Oh well...at least the lower models will be more affordable.
Appearing at a show next year, which is in line with the future Lexus roadmap I found earlier.

Thanks for the heads-up.
Old 05-18-05, 09:30 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts

We knew the IS hardtop convertible is coming, but I' ve heard conflicting reports for the BMW, some reporting the 3 series convertible may not be a hardtop convertible afterall, but a ragtop with a hardtop option that you have to put on manually. They sugggest a hardtop convertible for BMW adds too much weight & conflicts with BMW's philosophy of building truely sporty driver's cars . . .
Old 05-18-05, 09:30 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by XeroK00L
So they wanna play this game of saving a better engine option for the 2nd or 3rd year of the product cycle again?
I dunno about it being a game, it's regular Toyota tradition to add powertrain changes mostly 3rd year of production on a 5 year cycle car. It shouldn't be a surprise at all.
Old 05-18-05, 09:35 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

From channel4/.com/4car :
. . . Some sources believe that the 4-Series convertible will have a solid folding roof, as these pictures appear to suggest. But earlier conjecture held that the roof is likely to be a sophisticated but traditional canvas fold-down item. Indeed, it would be difficult to imagine how space could be found in the boot for the large glass backlight pictured here, so this may be a removable hardtop strictly for winter use, as optional on current 3-Series Convertibles. A steel folding roof would also be quite a departure for BMW, which believes that the weight penalties of such an approach are too onerous.
Link with pics HERE
Old 05-18-05, 09:53 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by AmethySC
From channel4/.com/4car :

Link with pics HERE
Yeah from my understanding, the 3 will come in coupe and hardtop convert. They won't offer just one coupe/convert ala SC 430, SLK, SL.
Old 05-18-05, 10:20 AM
baddis es
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

do u think they will make the 3-way version like the LF-C, hardtop-targa-full convertible...
Old 05-18-05, 10:25 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by baddis es
do u think they will make the 3-way version like the LF-C, hardtop-targa-full convertible...
I hope they do, why would they show that 3-way version in the concept if they don't plan to use it . . .
Old 05-18-05, 12:51 PM
robloc93
Lexus Test Driver

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

I was going to post those up in the otherthread I started but I thought they looked to much like a Rover so I didn't post them