Notices
Lexus Customer Service (archive) The Lexus Customer Service forum on Club Lexus has been inactivated at this time, but past posts will be left as a visible archive forum for a period of time.

[WWI] Gear Shift Problems With NX

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-15, 07:20 AM
rocdude
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gear Shift Problems With NX

I am having increasing problem with my 3 month old NX.

The gear is not shifting smoothly from Park to Reverse. There is some kind of a metallic restraint when shifting from Park to Reverse. It catches.

Some times it is not bad you can go past this catch. Other times it does not even let you shift to reverse. You have repeatedly and forcefully try to shift the gear from Park to Reverse.

I took it to the dealer and he said this is common in the NX because of the new gear mechanism?
I am getting increasingly frustrated. For an expensive car, this should not happen [not even in a cheap car].

I have not heard back from the dealer. He said they are going to write it up to Lexus and nothing further has happened yet?

What do I do? Who do I contact?

Any help, suggestion appreciated.
Old 05-04-15, 04:57 PM
LexCareSP
Lexus Customer Service

Hello Rocdude, we are sorry to read you are having concerns with the transmission in your NX. We would like to look into this a bit further. Please contact us here: http://www.lexus.com/contact/ as we would like to have one of our Case Managers review the situation
Old 06-11-15, 08:44 AM
Bryan1399
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Within Warranty Inquiries (WWI) Gear Shift Problems With NX

Hi Rocdude,

I am Bryan from Malaysia owned a NX for 3 months as you facing the same annoying problem. Called up the salesman and service technician on this issue, they told me it is normal for NX model. They told me you have to live with this issue. I can't accept this.

I have do my own study on this type of gear box and founds:
1.) There is a Parking Paw to lock the gear when we shift the gear to Park, P.
2.) Parking Paw need time to synchronized at correct speed in order to engaging Park Gear, P.
3.) Parking Paw must be properly lock into position during shift gear to Park (P) for ensure your next shift-out from P to be smooth. If not, you will facing very hard to shift out from P and sometimes with loud "metal colloid noise" with forced shifting.

I have practise the below gear shifting to P and solve/eliminate this problem.
Method for shift gear to Park, P (at incline/flat/decline road surface): See the attached layout.

Holding timing at the "yellow" point in the attached layout is critical for the Parking Paw to lock properly into position. You may look for your own best timing. My experiences 2 to 3 second is the best.

Hope this can help you as well. NX is a good car indeed as long as we get rid of this gear shifting issue.

Regards,

Bryan

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
NX Gear shift to P.pdf (28.9 KB, 305 views)
Old 08-02-15, 08:11 PM
StillLine
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Parking brake?

Are you fully applying the parking brake prior to shifting to park? If not, do it. Even on flat surfaces. Get into the habit of applying the parking brake fully before shifting to park and letting off the brake pedal each and every time you park.
Old 12-27-16, 06:00 AM
Jaclyn
Driver School Candidate

I followed your instructions to the T. Shifts smooth now! Thanks!