Notices
Lexus Customer Service (archive) The Lexus Customer Service forum on Club Lexus has been inactivated at this time, but past posts will be left as a visible archive forum for a period of time.

4GS - Iphone Text Messages

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-15, 09:49 AM
GregCanada
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts
Default 4GS - Iphone Text Messages

Good afternoon,
How can i send outgoing text messages via the Navigation unit through my Iphone? It gives me an error every time.

2013 GS Premium.

Thanks,
Greg
Old 03-05-15, 10:27 AM
LexCareSC
Lexus Customer Service

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Greg,

Lexus complies with the safety regulations of the government, therefore it does not allow you to send text messages via the navigation system. This would need to be done through your iPhone.

Hope this helps.

SC
Old 03-05-15, 03:42 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Your MY13 GS should be able to receive text messages, however the Reply feature (sometimes there isn't one) will be grayed out. This is due to Apples iOS which does not allow the reply currently. Look for future iOS upgrades to fix this. Most Android phones allow it however some do not. On most 2014 models and up they have Siri Eyes Free which is able to send out a text message by pressing and holding down the 'Off-Hook' button on the steering wheel even though the 'Text' feature through the car still does not work because of the iOS. Unfortunately since SEF can't be added after the fact, sounds like you'll have to wait for a new update from Apple that remedy's this.

Last edited by Hoovey689; 03-06-15 at 11:43 AM.
Old 03-06-15, 11:29 AM
GregCanada
Advanced

Originally Posted by LexCareSC
Hi Greg,

Lexus complies with the safety regulations of the government, therefore it does not allow you to send text messages via the navigation system. This would need to be done through your iPhone.

Hope this helps.

SC
SC,

There are 20 pre-set text messages on the Lexus Nav unit. When i try to send one of them, it gives me an error. However, it works on non-apple phones (such as my GF's blackberry). Any idea? Is there a setting i can change?

Thanks,
Greg
Old 03-06-15, 12:07 PM
LexCareSC
Lexus Customer Service

Originally Posted by GregCanada
SC,

There are 20 pre-set text messages on the Lexus Nav unit. When i try to send one of them, it gives me an error. However, it works on non-apple phones (such as my GF's blackberry). Any idea? Is there a setting i can change?

Thanks,
Greg
I have confirmed that iPhone does not allow for this feature to be used in any vehicles. They have not released the permissions to this feature.
Old 03-06-15, 05:24 PM
charley95
Pole Position

Received 530 Likes on 386 Posts

I have confirmed that iPhone does not allow for this feature to be used in any vehicles. They have not released the permissions to this feature.
I would certainly hope they don't. I have been a victim 4 times in rear end collisions due to distracted cell phone users. I would hope that the poster here means the text feature when the car is in park. For all of you people who don't use HANDS FREE cell phones, Shame on you!

The first distracted driver that hit me was preoccupied in phone conversation upon impact.
Fortunately for me he wasn't insured, I was able to have his license revoked through the state of Illinois.
Old 03-07-15, 11:17 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by charley95
I would certainly hope they don't. I have been a victim 4 times in rear end collisions due to distracted cell phone users. I would hope that the poster here means the text feature when the car is in park. For all of you people who don't use HANDS FREE cell phones, Shame on you!

The first distracted driver that hit me was preoccupied in phone conversation upon impact.
Fortunately for me he wasn't insured, I was able to have his license revoked through the state of Illinois.
No no, this technology that they are talking about is controlled via your voice through the 'off hook' telephone button for Siri Eyes Free equipped vehicles or and what they are talking about 'preset' messages sent via the Remote Touch. No where does it say to pick up the actual phone. The OP just wants to know why he can't use the 'presets', and that's because Apples iOS software currently does not allow that feature. He can still receive a message and the car reads it to him but he cannot reply. Certain Android and Blackberry device do allow for this feature.
Old 03-09-15, 06:31 AM
GregCanada
Advanced

Originally Posted by charley95

The whole point of what i'm asking, is so i don't HAVE to pick up my phone and text, but Apple does not allow it! Strange eh?

Thanks, but that is seriously a drag. Not pleased with Apple on this.

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
No no, this technology that they are talking about is controlled via your voice through the 'off hook' telephone button for Siri Eyes Free equipped vehicles or and what they are talking about 'preset' messages sent via the Remote Touch. No where does it say to pick up the actual phone. The OP just wants to know why he can't use the 'presets', and that's because Apples iOS software currently does not allow that feature. He can still receive a message and the car reads it to him but he cannot reply. Certain Android and Blackberry device do allow for this feature.
I appreciate you explaining the issue thoroughly.
Old 03-09-15, 10:24 AM
charley95
Pole Position

Received 530 Likes on 386 Posts

My bad. I don't understand the whole techno. thing. It just irritates me when I encounter people on the road playing with their phones. When you have been hit by them 4 times I tend to take it personally.
Old 03-22-15, 02:15 PM
kittleson
Driver School Candidate

Default IPHONE 6 messages

Greg, I understand that I can't SEND text messages, but am confused on the thread of the conversation. Apple doesn't allow us to SEND. All I want is to HEAR my text. I can't get it to work on my Lexus. Does APPLE prevent LISTENING TO TEXT as well?

Thanks.
Mark
Originally Posted by GregCanada
SC,

Thanks,
Greg
Old 05-05-15, 08:04 AM
GregCanada
Advanced

Originally Posted by kittleson
Greg, I understand that I can't SEND text messages, but am confused on the thread of the conversation. Apple doesn't allow us to SEND. All I want is to HEAR my text. I can't get it to work on my Lexus. Does APPLE prevent LISTENING TO TEXT as well?

Thanks.
Mark
Yes, they do read texts. There is a setting on your phone you have to change.

Go to Settings > Bluetooth > Car multimedia (click the 'i') then make sure "show notifications" is green (do "sync contacts" as well).

That is how i got mine to work.

Greg