Notices
Lexus Customer Service (archive) The Lexus Customer Service forum on Club Lexus has been inactivated at this time, but past posts will be left as a visible archive forum for a period of time.

lifetime transmission fluid

Old 03-14-15, 01:33 PM
JffGRY706
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
Default lifetime transmission fluid

I love my 2005 LS430, but I have 2 issues with the transmission and would like your input. 1st I do not think any transmission fluid can last forever and would like your maintence suggestions for the 6 speed transmission in my car. if I were to aquire a car that had no record of transmission service and was approaching 100,000 miles, how would you suggest an owner to get back on schedule? my 2nd issue is with TC006-04 and if my car has had it or not? this is a shift update that was for '04 and some '05 LS430's I have no problem, but I live in wide open west Texas and had some issues in bumper to bumper big city traffic on vacation last year. last 6 numbers of my vin are 0177304 and manufacture date 08/2004.
The following users liked this post:
Bulfur (04-17-18)
Old 03-16-15, 01:28 PM
LexCareSP
Lexus Customer Service

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The World Standard (WS) Automatic Transmission Fluid was introduced to reduce maintenance costs and increase the mileage between scheduled maintenance checks. Here are some important tips when working with ATF-WS in Lexus vehicles requiring its use. You can find the information provided in the Repair Manual listen below. Unfortunately, this is all the information we can provide. Please consult with your Lexus dealer if you have additional questions.

Last edited by LexCareSP; 03-16-15 at 01:29 PM. Reason: Modify message
Old 04-15-15, 01:34 PM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

My understanding is if you tow there is a service interval?
Old 04-15-15, 01:48 PM
LexCareSP
Lexus Customer Service

Hi Max707, the service interval would still be based on inspection even if you tow with the vehicle. If the fluid is discolored it should be replaced...
Old 06-16-15, 08:44 AM
Raidin
Advanced

Received 202 Likes on 121 Posts

I understand that Lexus customer service can only say what Lexus advertises, therefore if we were to ask about when we should change the transmission fluid if were to keep our car for say, 500k miles, Lexus CS would probably still have to say the same thing the service schedule says.

So instead, I will just ask this: what does Lexus consider the "life" of the vehicle in terms of time intervals?
The following users liked this post:
thedude910 (01-11-22)
Old 06-18-15, 04:16 PM
LexCareSP
Lexus Customer Service

Raidin, we do not create time intervals around the "life" of the vehicle. To Lexus the life of the vehicle would continue until the vehicle is no longer in operation. As a result based on the date of first use the fluid should be inspected every 100k miles. This does not prevent the owner from inspecting the fluid more frequently according t their comfort. We hope this information helps...
Old 06-19-15, 07:19 AM
Raidin
Advanced

Thank you, good to know!
Old 06-19-15, 06:35 PM
burny
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by LexCareSP
Raidin, we do not create time intervals around the "life" of the vehicle. To Lexus the life of the vehicle would continue until the vehicle is no longer in operation. As a result based on the date of first use the fluid should be inspected every 100k miles. This does not prevent the owner from inspecting the fluid more frequently according t their comfort. We hope this information helps...

Don't worry, it won't be in operation long if you do not change it after 100k mikes. I have seen the Blackstone analysis of the fluid after 80k and its viscosity was breaking down at that point. Wonder why so many Toyota/lexus shops are suddenly getting dedicated machines just for WS fluid now?
Old 07-18-15, 03:25 AM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by burny
Don't worry, it won't be in operation long if you do not change it after 100k mikes. I have seen the Blackstone analysis of the fluid after 80k and its viscosity was breaking down at that point. Wonder why so many Toyota/lexus shops are suddenly getting dedicated machines just for WS fluid now?
To make it more convenient for the consumer in regards to maintaining your vehicle. It's just 1 less thing to worry about. However, it's something I worry about. 100k miles is too long in my opinion. Same thing with the diff fluid intervals. And with the dedicated machines for tranny flushes, makes it more inconvenient for the consumer in regards to maintaining your vehicle. What you gonna do?
Old 07-20-15, 06:02 PM
burny
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by nabbun
What you gonna do?
I changed mine myself.
Old 07-21-15, 07:27 AM
Raidin
Advanced

I'm going to follow the Prius forum recommendation of every 60k (I now drive roughly 150k a year and planning to keep my CT running forever instead of replacing it). I was hoping for some info from Lexus' own engineers, but Lexus just wants to repeat what the manual says instead of asking them.
Old 02-20-16, 12:40 PM
JffGRY706
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts

anyway...if you want to change the fluid, I recommend having a Lexus dealer do it. complicated procedure and only a Lexus dealer will do it right. I had 2 drain and fills done and any issues I had real or imagined have vanished. probably unnecessary but peace of mind
Old 04-17-16, 10:50 AM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

So then newer transmissions that use this fluid do not have a vent system like the ones of the older days?
Since it specifies that the fluid can not be exposed to the atmosphere. Also how is it the be added to the transmission, all special fill system that will not expose the fluid to the atmosphere? Oh and since it is a hygroscopic issue if there was a vent system wouldn't the operating heat scavenge the moisture from the fluid?
I'm curious is the fluid alcohol based ?
Old 04-17-16, 02:50 PM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by dicer
So then newer transmissions that use this fluid do not have a vent system like the ones of the older days?
Since it specifies that the fluid can not be exposed to the atmosphere. Also how is it the be added to the transmission, all special fill system that will not expose the fluid to the atmosphere? Oh and since it is a hygroscopic issue if there was a vent system wouldn't the operating heat scavenge the moisture from the fluid?
Not sure if serious or not... but I'll bite.

You're splitting hairs over their wording. It's like you go to buy a Coke, obviously, it should be sealed for optimal consumption, as to not be: flat & full of bugs, like an open container.

There is a fancy [expensive] machine that some dealers are given to use, but basically, it is this with a vacuum system attached to the shop airlines.

The transmissions still have vents, you won't ever have a sealed system, it needs to vent due to pressures.

The fluid is a semi-synthetic blend. This can be argued over and over, the guys on bobistheoilguy.org have found numerous better counterparts, or rivals to WS.

There is no special fill procedure to this either, pretty much like traditional changes, the fluid should be warm when changing due to its viscocity, but now with the onboard electronics, you *CAN* set it in the car to recognize the temperature when "leveling" the fluid level... basically there's no dipstick, you're cluster tells you that, either the manual way [pins in the OBD2 port & flashes on dash] or via techstream.

My mech does it the old school way, car is driven, dump whatever comes out, measure new fluid, pour into hole on the top side of trans. & done.
Old 04-26-16, 04:44 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by JffGRY706
anyway...if you want to change the fluid, I recommend having a Lexus dealer do it. complicated procedure and only a Lexus dealer will do it right. I had 2 drain and fills done and any issues I had real or imagined have vanished. probably unnecessary but peace of mind
The "procedure" is not complicated and you do not need a Lexus dealer to do it correctly.

Originally Posted by dicer
An alcohol-based ATF would destroy rubber seals. Not sure if post is serious. Any moisture condensing in the system will evaporate once the trans gets to operating temperature.

Originally Posted by 01LEXPL
Not sure if serious or not... but I'll bite.

You're splitting hairs over their wording. It's like you go to buy a Coke, obviously, it should be sealed for optimal consumption, as to not be: flat & full of bugs, like an open container.

There is a fancy [expensive] machine that some dealers are given to use, but basically, it is this with a vacuum system attached to the shop airlines.

lifetime transmission fluid-extractionpump_300_f8e3a6ee1f38f73761038a5d454e89daabd8fc72.jpg

The transmissions still have vents, you won't ever have a sealed system, it needs to vent due to pressures.

The fluid is a semi-synthetic blend. This can be argued over and over, the guys on bobistheoilguy.org have found numerous better counterparts, or rivals to WS.

There is no special fill procedure to this either, pretty much like traditional changes, the fluid should be warm when changing due to its viscocity, but now with the onboard electronics, you *CAN* set it in the car to recognize the temperature when "leveling" the fluid level... basically there's no dipstick, you're cluster tells you that, either the manual way [pins in the OBD2 port & flashes on dash] or via techstream.

My mech does it the old school way, car is driven, dump whatever comes out, measure new fluid, pour into hole on the top side of trans. & done.
Valvoline Maxlife is a good substitute, and if you read the label you'll note it meets all Toyota WS specs. I change mine every 50 to 60K, along with the diffs, transfer case, brake fluid, and power steering fluid.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: lifetime transmission fluid