Sponsored by:

Blown Subwoofer?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-03, 08:01 AM
dsimo
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blown Subwoofer?

Is it possible to blow a subwoofer? At higer volumes with music with deep base I'm hearing a click that seems to be coming from behind the rear seat. This is where the subwoofer resides, right? I noticed it for the first time yesterday and confirmed it today. Anyone else run into this problem?
Old 10-17-03, 09:48 AM
Phu
Pole Position

Did you check the magnetic seatbelt restraints(leather tabs halfway up the rear seats)? Sometimes they will make a clipping sound if not buttoned down.
Old 10-17-03, 11:36 AM
dsimo
Driver

Good call!! One of the seatbelt restraints was bouncing up to an inch. Once I repositioned the restraint into the magnet button, the vibration stopped. Thanks for the help!!
Old 10-17-03, 02:46 PM
JCtx
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

Hey, do we have a sub-woofer????
My car doesn't sound like it has one at all, even at +5; thought only the door woofers reproduced lows.

Coud somebody verify where is it? I want to make sure it's working Is it supposed to work with the fader on 'F' or 'R'? It makes sense to be in the 'R', but in my case I can barely hear the rear side mid-drivers making noise.

Thanks guys.
Old 10-17-03, 02:55 PM
LexPro
Pole Position

The sub works in both FandR. Stick your hand on the backseat you will feel it move. The rear speakers are mostly for delay and rear fill so you wont hear much even if you fade to the back unless the top is down then they play louder and with less delay.
Old 10-17-03, 03:30 PM
dsimo
Driver

I'm not lying...when I unhooked the rear seatbelts from the little magnetic flap and turned up the volume, they literally bounced about an inch up from the seat. Turn on some hip-hop, turn up the volume, and there should be no doubt that you have a subwoofer (audibly and visually).
Old 10-17-03, 03:30 PM
JCtx
Racer

Thanks a lot for your answer Dan. Will try the 'touch' approach to make sure it's working later today.

Hey, may I pick your brains a little more? I'm curious about the specs of our audio system, since only '9-spkr, 240-watt' is given. What size of subwoofer do we have? How about the other drivers? Amplifiers? I assume there's a dedicated one for the sub. As a comment, why did Nakamichis have 280 watts (at least on my GS4), and the more expensive ML only 240? Just curious. I also find the treble lacking on these premium ystems, especially this ML. I heard a more mundane standard (pioneer, I think) system when I was at the dealer the other day and had much better highs than my ML. Any explanation? With some CDs is enough, but others really need more. I rather turn the treble down than not having enough.

Thanks again buddy.
Old 10-17-03, 03:47 PM
RodF
Pole Position

Default subwooer info

Check out this thread:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ight=subwoofer
Old 10-17-03, 03:57 PM
LexPro
Pole Position

The amp is 8 channels and the 7 and 8 are bridged to the sub. The sub is 8". The treble works fine for me and I actually won quite a few United States Autosound Challenge awards with the factory ML setup. Some of the judges recommended changing the tweeters for Focal Utopias. I havent done it but may in the future.
Old 10-18-03, 06:27 AM
golfkwesi
Driver

Hey JC,

Here is a link to the original review of the '02 SC430 that I read:

http://www.kbb.com/kb/ki.dll/ke.kb.r...&02LEXUSSC4303

It states that there are 7 channels , 8" sub and features "DSP" in addition to the "ASL". I've never heard that the system changed in the '03 or '04.

PS: the sub rocks - no problems with it!
Old 10-19-03, 11:27 AM
JCtx
Racer

Hi guys. Checked the sub, and it's working fine. It's only 8", and with no big enclosure (like a trunk), not much 'thumping' can be expected, but the fact that there's one is a great accomplishment. The bass put out by this (now non-rattling) system is perfectly acceptable to my non-rap music tastes. Besides, any more and we'd have to be checking fasteners on a weekly basis.

Read the links requested; thanks. And no, I won't be making any changes to the audio. It's sounds perfectly fine for my modest volume requirements. When I first jumped into the car, I noticed a lower treble, but now that I'm getting used to my car, the overal 'tonal' balance of this stereo is simply phenomenal. Now that I can crank up the base a little more without rattling, I find the base just perfect. I noticed we have a 'DSP', but there's no adjustment; that probably has to do with the 'out of phase' discussion mentioned on the above link. Whatever it is, it sounds great. I have DSP on my other car and it's always 'off'; sounds... artificial. Not this one.

Thanks again for your help. I hope we're not 'obsolete' with the new DVD audio (5.1 dolby) supposedly replacing 'old' CD systems; I want to keep this car for a long time, and hopefully be able to buy CDs until then.

Enjoy the rest of the weekend.