Sponsored by:

Rx330 non-ML to Mark Levinson stereo upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-03, 04:04 PM
drurywoodson
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Rx330 non-ML to Mark Levinson stereo upgrade

I've got the performance package, and early in the purchase process I had a dream of getting the Mark Levinson stereo with my performance package. I did some research on the topic today, and thought I would post the results in case any of you are interested.

I've been studying the parts lists and wiring diagrams with my dealer, and I think it would be easy to upgrade a non-ML Rx330 to have an ML. As near as I can figure, all you have to do is replace the speakers & the amp. The biggest problem would be that adding the center channel either requires adding a grill to your existing dash or replacing the dash entirely. I think the Mark Levinson uses the same head unit as the standard factory system. From a wiring perspective, the only difference is that the ML adds two wires from the amp to the center channel speaker. If these weren't in the wiring harness already, you might have to run them separately.

Here's a list of the parts:

2x 86160 0W560 front 6x9 woofers $154.93 each
3x 86160 0E030 front dash mid-ranges (left, center, right) $134.97 each
1x 86160 0E150 front driver side tweeter $91.81
1x 86160 0E160 front passenger side tweeter $91.81
2x 86160 0W570 rear door coax speakers $107.59 each
1x amplifier $805-$850 (I don't remember the exact price and I didn't write it down)
1x dash - Mark Levinson

Total -- approx. $2100 + dash + labor

According to the wiring diagram, there seems to be some sort of crossover network between the front dash & tweeter speakers. I'm not sure if this network is different between the two sound systems, so you should check before doing this mod.

Incidentally, the standard system biamplifies the front channels, too. Another interesting tidbit is that the the standard amp and Mark Levinson amp are about the same size size according to the pictures I saw on the dealer's parts screen. The ML amp has active cooling vs. the apparently passive cooling of the standard amp. I suppose that's how they packed more power into the same volume.

After adding all these prices up, it probably makes more sense to go aftermarket. You can get nice speakers for the $763 you are going to spend on the fronts, and $800 will buy you a lot of amp. Of course, if you were to get access to the components at a substantial discount it might make sense. Installation costs would be a lot lower going with the factory ML system.

It's also worth mentioning that I got a summary copy of the instructions for replacing the factory amp. It basically involves ripping out the entire rear end (weatherstripping, floor, and side panels) and rear passenger seats -- not for the faint of heart!! The amp itself is located underneath the rear cargo floor between the tool bay and the rear seats on the passenger side. It's easy to see from the side if you pull out the tool tray, but it's located under a structural metal cross piece that supports the floor.

The other point of interest for those considering an upgrade is that according to the factory wiring diagram, the HU devotes 4 shielded wires to sending one left and one right channel to the amp. It has two wires implementing some sort of serial bus between the HU and amp for sending commands to the amp. This means that all the fading is done in the amp, so unless somebody builds a magic box to decode the commands to the amp, you will not be able to fade an aftermarket system with the factory HU unless you leave the factory amp in the signal path with all of its built in crossovers.
Old 03-13-11, 09:35 PM
Terranovas
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default your post about the speaker upgrades

where did you find these prices.... please let me know
Old 03-14-11, 10:56 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For the same $2100 you could have an aftermarket system that makes the ML system its bit*h!!!!
Old 03-14-11, 07:43 PM
zmanRX350
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The ML option on 2011 RX350 has MSRP at $1,600.
Old 03-14-11, 10:02 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by zmanRX350
The ML option on 2011 RX350 has MSRP at $1,600.
Doesn't change the fact that for that kind of money you can install a very nice system that will run circles around the factory ML - or the fact that this thread is 8 years old and bumped because someone didn't want to search.

Big Mack
Old 03-15-11, 05:00 AM
veleno
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Big Mack
Doesn't change the fact that for that kind of money you can install a very nice system that will run circles around the factory ML - or the fact that this thread is 8 years old and bumped because someone didn't want to search.

Big Mack
hehe...I was about to point out the thread age as well but you beat me to it. Go aftermarket and like mentioned above it's a whole lot better than the ML.
Old 04-06-11, 09:07 PM
RuninRoach
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

i don't know but the only system i heard that i liked better than the ML was the Nakamichi in the original LS400.

my friend upgraded his TL with God knows what that cost him 1500 and still didn't have the nice notes that his Nakamichi had.

What constitutes beating a system?