Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Whistling sound comes from speakers!

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-03, 11:59 AM
chuckisc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Whistling sound comes from speakers!

Here is the story:

I have an aftermarket AV system installed in my 1999 GS300.

Systems:
Eclipse AV8132 with DVD/MP3/CD and 6.5" Motorized Monitor
Eclipse CH5061 6-CD In-Dash Changer
Stock speakers, tweeters, sub
450W Kenwood amp
Monster wiring to amp from Battery.

Issue:
Everytimes I step on the acceleration paddle, there is whistling noise coming out from the speakers, wwwzzzeeeeeshhhhh!!!! It becomes unbareable at this point, since I don't listen to my stereo super loud all the times. I don't watch DVD all the times either. But I listen to talk-radio quite often and the whistling noise is driving me crazy!

I brought the car back to the shop, www.highendstereos.com they told me that there is nothing they can do about it but me spending another $40 for two (2) filters. This won't guaranteed the noise will go away.

My question is that:

- what cause the whistling noise? My stock Piorneer never does that, and this $2000 systems gives out such loud noise.

- Will the filters help to reduce or eliminate the whistles?

- Is there such thing as bad grounding that could cause the problem?

Any help will be greatly appreciated...

Last edited by chuckisc; 09-29-03 at 12:02 PM.
Old 09-29-03, 10:16 PM
chuckisc
Lexus Test Driver

Default Anyone?

HELP!
Old 09-30-03, 09:24 AM
Pianoman72
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You need to do a search for "engine noise." A lot of people have had what I think is the same problem but they didn't describe it as a whistle.

Do install shops check for this sort of thing before they turn a car over to the customer? Because you would think....

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=87850

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=43142
Old 09-30-03, 12:37 PM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like alternator whine... bad ground maybe? Try relocating your ground wire. The filters may help if the whine continues after fiddling with the wires, though. Your stereo shop should know about this...
Old 09-30-03, 02:17 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

This IS alternator whine. Your installer needs to worry about how things are grounded first, making sure that very solid grounds are maintained throughout, and possibly using a single point system ground. If that doesn't solve the problem, filters can be added that are specifically designed to filter out alternator whine.
Old 10-02-03, 06:34 PM
phill671
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like the installer used a factory amp somewhere in the install I had the same problem with my 92 sc300 I used a High level to low level converter an example would be,headunit speaker output wires to RCA inputs problem solved. I think the factory radios have a very low level output
Attached Thumbnails Whistling sound comes from speakers!-lex2.jpg  
Old 10-02-03, 07:41 PM
chuckisc
Lexus Test Driver

Thank you for such great responses and detail insights. I believe you guys are absolutely right about the grounding issue. About the factory amp, they couldn't use it, so 2001HiTechGS3 gave me his Kenwood 450W amp to run the factory sub. I think here is the situation:

a: Shop installed bad ground
b: Shop installed RCA near power line (?)
c: Head Unit is bad (mind u, this is a brand new Eclipse with 3 years warranty, So if it is bad, i can get a replacement)
d: Alternator?

The car is going back to the shop for Dyno. I just can't stand the whining noise any more... how could it be, spending a lot of cash on this system and it sounds great, just the whining noise is driving me nuts!

Again, Thank you all,
Old 10-03-03, 03:55 PM
DJ SprinklesNJO
Lexus Test Driver

thats a bunch of crap that stereo shop is giving you. I mean that they cant fix it or it will cost u $40 more. any problems you dont like with the system or something they did wrong or not working right. (like ur whinning noise) they should fix free of charge. you should leave happy. just from what u said about ur story, this shop doesnt seem like a respectable place.
id go back and complain and DONT spend a penny more, tell them to fix it or take it all out and get ur money back. (watch them when they remove it so they dont damage anything just to get back at you) BUT ignore all this if you left the shop and like a month later you had this problem. then you really cant prove it was them.
Old 10-03-03, 03:56 PM
DJ SprinklesNJO
Lexus Test Driver

oh by the way, it does seem like a bad ground. also just to be sure, check if any power wires are by your audio signal wires. Just like you said.
Old 10-04-03, 01:35 AM
audiogil
Rookie

Default engine whine

that whine is not your fault or your problem. take it immediately and let the shop deal with it