Sponsored by:

FAQs on stereo upgrades for Lexus - help needed-DIY included

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-04, 12:36 AM
claus44
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post SC Pioneer Premium System

After days of searching and reading about conflicting information I finally got tired and decided to take a measure tape with me to measure the factory sub and to crawl into the trunk of my sc with a flash light to take a look at the stamped info.

So, the finaly result from the readings and my finding is

The Lexus Premium Sound System(with CD changer) on SC's :

The front and rear speakers are 4" and 4 Ohms (gotta luv the search)
The sub is 10" and 1 Ohm (this is where the searched info conflicts)

Now, does anyone know the factory power rating of the system going into each of the components? Thanks!

Last edited by claus44; 04-04-04 at 12:38 AM.
Old 04-04-04, 07:48 AM
RSTSpeed
Lexus Test Driver

Default Re: SC Pioneer Premium System

Originally posted by claus44
After days of searching and reading about conflicting information I finally got tired and decided to take a measure tape with me to measure the factory sub and to crawl into the trunk of my sc with a flash light to take a look at the stamped info.

So, the finaly result from the readings and my finding is

The Lexus Premium Sound System(with CD changer) on SC's :

The front and rear speakers are 4" and 4 Ohms (gotta luv the search)
The sub is 10" and 1 Ohm (this is where the searched info conflicts)

Now, does anyone know the factory power rating of the system going into each of the components? Thanks!
I thought the factory sub was 4 ohm impedience (sp?). It should say what it is on the back of the woofer basket. If I can find mine today, I will look. As far as power, I don't know. It may be stamped on speaker amp, which is located under the CD changer. Click here for a how-to on removing the CD changer. And click here for a how-to on removing the amp after the changer is out of the way.
Old 04-04-04, 02:22 PM
claus44
Driver

Default Re: Re: SC Pioneer Premium System

Originally posted by RSTSpeed
I thought the factory sub was 4 ohm impedience (sp?). It should say what it is on the back of the woofer basket. If I can find mine today, I will look. As far as power, I don't know. It may be stamped on speaker amp, which is located under the CD changer. Click here for a how-to on removing the CD changer. And click here for a how-to on removing the amp after the changer is out of the way.
I think u are talking about the Nak system

Yes, from all the stuff I've read the Nak system has the 10" sub with 4 ohms impedance.

I'm just talking about the pioneer premium sound here, not the Nak. All the info about the Nak is pretty consistant, but everything about the pioneer is simply cloudy. BTW, the pioneer system has a seperate amp beside the woofer, the setup is not the same as the Nak 5ch amp under the CD changer.
Old 04-04-04, 09:04 PM
RSTSpeed
Lexus Test Driver

Default Re: Re: Re: SC Pioneer Premium System

Yes, from all the stuff I've read the Nak system has the 10" sub with 4 ohms impedance.

I'm just talking about the pioneer premium sound here, not the Nak. All the info about the Nak is pretty consistant, but everything about the pioneer is simply cloudy. BTW, the pioneer system has a seperate amp beside the woofer, the setup is not the same as the Nak 5ch amp under the CD changer.
I'm talking about the Pioneer sys., too. I have the same amp setup and the sub says Pioneer on it. I'll look again...
Old 04-06-04, 03:51 PM
mikee72
Driver School Candidate

Default Re: Re: Re: SC Pioneer Premium System

Just to clear things up, the 10" sub in the Nak system is 5 ohms, not 4 ohms.
The 10" sub in the Premium system is 1 ohm.

The 10" sub in the Nak system is 5 ohms.

Note: I originally thought it was 1 ohm, because I had assumed that my car had the Nakamichi system due to the fact that it has the 12-disk changer. What I actually have is the "Premium" system, with the 1ohm 10" subwoofer. I hate mis-information on web boards, but I'm ashamed to say that I contributed to it, do to an assumption on my part. I'm sorry for any inconvenience this has caused.

Last edited by mikee72; 07-19-04 at 06:59 AM.
Old 04-06-04, 04:30 PM
claus44
Driver

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: SC Pioneer Premium System

Originally posted by mikee72
Just to clear things up, the 10" sub in the Nak system is 1 ohm, not 4 ohms. Like Pioneer system, it also uses a Pioneer-branded sub. Might be the same one. Let me repeat for the sake of clairity-

The 10" sub in the Nak system is one (1) ohm.
Thanks for correcting!
Old 05-17-04, 08:29 PM
CaVleX
Driver School Candidate

Default Stock Speaker Size

Ok - After a very long and complicated process, I have finally put an aftermarket headunit, speakers and subs in my car here is the info:

1996 LS400

Stock speaker size Front 5.5" Can Fit 6.5"
Stock Speaker size Rear 5.5" Can fit 6.5"
subwoofer ???? Didn't look at it but I think they are 10"

I went from stocks in the front and added boston acoustic component 6.5". They can fit once you cut down the speaker panel a little. In the rear I added 6.5" MB QUartz. Only reason I even put 6.5" is because I bought the wrong sizes.

As far as headunit goes. I went from stock pioneer to an aftermarket Alpine. Much better sound. also added a 10" JL AUDio 10w6 v2, which now sits behind the driver seat. I couldn't put it in the trunk because my gas tank is righ tup against the rear seats, and there is a firewall around the trunk. Couldn't hear the sub well enough. All and all this job was a nightmare. and the whole car had to be rewired. But, I am happy now. Will post pics later.
Old 05-17-04, 08:37 PM
kap0ne
Rookie

why would you put it behind your seat i undertsand the trunk muffles but noone can sit there
Old 05-17-04, 10:13 PM
CaVleX
Driver School Candidate

Default 1996 LS400

I don't want it behind my seat either, but there is never anyone in my back seat anymore (the good old days), but I am thinking of seeing if I can actually take my 10w6 and mount it where the stock subwoofer is? Do you guys think that it can work???
Old 05-17-04, 10:18 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,119 Likes on 1,293 Posts

Guys please start new threads if you have questions you need answered.

Let's please reserve this thread for posting FAQs like speaker sizes in specific model years, etc

At some point sson I'll delete the extra Q&A from this thread.
Old 05-18-04, 08:11 AM
kap0ne
Rookie

i took the stock sub out so there was some sort of port so i could get more sound through the rear cuz of the gas tank
Old 10-18-04, 02:06 PM
detroit572
Driver School Candidate

I see that Emerald hasn't posted since 2003, so does any one else on here no where I can get a dashkit for my 96 sc300. I don't know if I can stand my 12 disk changer any longer.
Old 10-18-04, 03:27 PM
RSTSpeed
Lexus Test Driver

Well, as Dave said, we need to keep this thread to FAQ and not actually asking questions, but...

Try contacting a member named Altran. I got one from a website (can't find the URL anymore) last spring and it was apparently made by him. Here is a pic:

Old 10-23-04, 08:55 PM
e-man
Pole Position

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts
Default GS front door speaker swap (4" to 6.5")

I found Darius' link extremely helpful:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ht=diy+speaker

And here's my link:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ht=diy+speaker

Hope these help.
Old 10-23-04, 11:59 PM
Smitty
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Question

I just bought a 2000 ES300 Platinum series Friday and I need some help with replacing the head unit. I want to know where can I find a good kit for my aftermarket kit to fit in. I also would like any suggestions when it comes to hooking up an aftermarket amp. Thanks.

Smitty

Quick Reply: FAQs on stereo upgrades for Lexus - help needed-DIY included