Sponsored by:

STEALTH Valentine One Project

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-03, 01:27 AM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default STEALTH Valentine One Project

Here's my latest mod just completed a few minutes ago. Gotta go to sleep, so I only have time to post this one pic. More details after the Carson meet. Still trying to get a few more mods in. I've got THREE whole days left ! !

Thanks to Jawnthen for spending the time to take the PIC.

NOW YOU SEE IT
Attached Thumbnails STEALTH Valentine One Project-nite.jpg  

Last edited by RMMGS4; 06-18-03 at 02:23 AM.
Old 06-18-03, 01:33 AM
RMMGS4

Default STEALTH Valentine One Project

NOW YOU DON'T

The ":00" button on the left (originally for the clock reset ) now functions as the mute for the V1 display. The "H" and "M" buttons are now dummies. I didn't need the clock anymore since my monitor displays the time.
Attached Thumbnails STEALTH Valentine One Project-day.jpg  

Last edited by RMMGS4; 06-18-03 at 02:07 AM.
Old 06-18-03, 02:22 AM
jawnthen
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sure no problem...

i would have spent more time perfecting the pic but looking at your V1 install too long makes me want to go out and get one...especially since I know how you did it.
Old 06-18-03, 06:26 AM
Sam Khoury
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

RMMGS4, I love it! That was a great idea for an install location! I think I'm going to go that too (I'll aplogize now for copying from you). I have a million questions that I'm sure you'll answer when you give the details. But I have 4 of them right off the bat.

1) That was concealed display unit that you put where the clock would be, right?
2) Did you use the remote audio adapter as part of your install? If so, where did you put it? And did you feed the output into your stereo?
3) How did you make the clock reset button function as the mute? Maybe this is obvious with the controls on the concealed display unit if that's what you put where the clock is located.
4) Could you show us some pics of where the main Valentine unit is located?

Now I'm thinking about putting the remote audio unit either in the ashtray or where the change holder is next to the side view mirror controls are located.
Old 06-18-03, 06:49 AM
chuckisc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Thumbs up LOOK COOL!

But I'm new to CL's, not sure what it is and does? Please explain!
Old 06-18-03, 07:46 AM
Sam Khoury
Lead Lap

Default Re: LOOK COOL!

Originally posted by chuckisc
But I'm new to CL's, not sure what it is and does? Please explain!
chuckisc, the Valentine One is the best radar detector on the market. If you read any car magazines on a regular basis, you've probably seen the ads. Whenever those magazines conduct radar detector tests, the Valentine usually wins hands down. It's the only radar detector that has arrows which shows you the direction of where the radar is coming from. It also has a bogey counter showing how many radars it's detecting. They don't sell a built in version of the detector like the K40 or Passport, they also sell a portable unit but they do have a concealed display unit which you can attach to the unit and install anywhere in you car. RMMGS4 took the Valentine display and installed it where the clock was located. I'm guessing that it's the concealed display unit but he could have removed the display right from the main unit. I'm sure he'll post more details later. Here's a link to Valentine's web site.

http://www.valentine1.com
Old 06-18-03, 10:02 AM
RMMGS4

Originally posted by Sam Khoury
RMMGS4, I love it! That was a great idea for an install location! I think I'm going to go that too (I'll aplogize now for copying from you). I have a million questions that I'm sure you'll answer when you give the details. But I have 4 of them right off the bat.

1) That was concealed display unit that you put where the clock would be, right?
2) Did you use the remote audio adapter as part of your install? If so, where did you put it? And did you feed the output into your stereo?
3) How did you make the clock reset button function as the mute? Maybe this is obvious with the controls on the concealed display unit if that's what you put where the clock is located.
4) Could you show us some pics of where the main Valentine unit is located?

Now I'm thinking about putting the remote audio unit either in the ashtray or where the change holder is next to the side view mirror controls are located.
Sam,
I thought you'd like it.
This is actually the only part of the V1 install that's even close to being done. Jawnthen and I put A LOT of R & D time evaluating our installs before we post the finshed product., so it will be a while before the V1 project is totally done. That is, if any of our projects are ever totally done.

1) Yes, it's the remote display offered by Valentine. Here's more info on this display: https://store.valentine1.com/store/products/20110.htm

2) No remote audio adapter yet. Any integration option is possible at this point. I'd like the option for the V1 to mute my stereo whenever it triggers. I was thinking of facing the speaker into the central air vents. There's some decent room behind the display for a small speaker. We'll see.

3. I got lucky on this one. The mute buton on the display matches right up with that left clock button. The factory trim and button do require modification to make all this work. When I show the install pics (NEXT WEEK) of what I did, you'll see that this is not a bolt on / 5 minute install. It is a good DIY project for those so inclined.

4. Again we're still evaluating location, based on looks, convenience, practicality and most importantly, optimizing the radar's ability to "see" the radar/laser sources. I looked at several options. We will use the Carson road trip to make a 1000 mile evaluation of the effectiveness of the mounting location. Lex400sc will be travelling with me throughout this drive with his V1, which is installed on his windshield, directly below his rear view mirror. Mine will be installed in the 3rd brake light location as seen on some cars, up high in the rear window, right above the rear passenger center headrest. Throughout the trip, we will be in constant communication to verify when each of us catches a signal. If the results are favorable, I'll fabricate a cover for the V1, preferably upholstered using matching headliner material.

Stay tuned next week for updates.

Last edited by RMMGS4; 06-18-03 at 10:03 AM.
Old 06-18-03, 11:16 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

'nuff said.
Old 06-18-03, 01:12 PM
Sam Khoury
Lead Lap

RMMGS4, thanks for the info. I'm guessing the best place for the Valentine one will turn out to be the back of the headliner right before the rear glass starts since the slope of the roof should make it low enough so that the front sensor will not be blocked by the rear view mirror on the front windshield. I know that you're an expert when it comes to making modifications but I thought this might be worth mentioning just in case. If you're going to install the remote audio adapter, you might want to plan for it now because there are 2 ways you can wire the Valentine with both the concealed display unit and remote audio adapter. I'm sure you saw these diagrams on the Valentine web site. Check out diagrams 2 and 4. I think I like diagram 2 better because it controls power to the main unit but I'm not sure if it also controls power to the concealed display unit like diagram 4.

Last edited by Sam Khoury; 06-18-03 at 01:15 PM.
Old 06-20-03, 02:05 PM
RMMGS4

Default DARN !

I temporarily installed the main unit in the rear headliner. Unfortunately my monitors set off the laser detection constantly !

I probably will be forced to mount my unit in front, but what I have done for now is to let the unit remain mounted in the rear for the 1000 mile evaluation and just disable the laser detection mode for now.

Anyone know if lasers are used by any law enforcement authorities in CALI ? I 'm thinking of just keeping the laser detection mode disabled and mount the unit in the rear.
Old 06-20-03, 02:19 PM
Sam Khoury
Lead Lap

RMMGS4, that sucks about the monitors setting off the laser. Could you post a pic of how you installed it in the headliner.
Old 06-24-03, 09:23 AM
RMMGS4

I would opt for diagram 4 because you're not able to tell if the main unit is on if you use diagram 2.

Theres a pic of the remote mounted main unit that Rominl took here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=87380

I basically took the visor mount clip and hooked it over the headliner, then I jammed some foam between the headliner and the main unit to get a level angle. Remember that this is a temporary install for now.

So as far as the test evaluation, it worked fine. Both Lexsc400 and I sensed radar within seconds of each other. One time it sensed a radar signal from over the hill and around a blind turn simultaneously.

I will probably not mount my radar in the rear since I'd have to disable the laser section if I did mount it there. Also at this point, I have not chosen to use a remote audio control, especially if it is mounted up front. I didn't feel the need to adjust volume or turn the unit off. I would usually just hit the mute button which seemed to suffice, but I guess I'll need to log in more user time to see if I would find it useful.

It will be atleast another month before I decide what to do and perform a custom install of the main unit. I'll post PICs here again once I do.
Old 06-26-03, 08:27 PM
The_Hitman
Lexus Champion

Too bad about the monitors setting it off. That's an awesome set up though. I'm always looking for different ways to keep things stealth and stock looking. Excellent!
Old 06-26-03, 08:38 PM
LexLS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Man, that is one cool looking install
Old 07-06-03, 01:14 PM
asci01
Pole Position

That's way too cool. I wish I had than kind of skills!

Quick Reply: STEALTH Valentine One Project