Noob audio help. Full system. 😓 ls400

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-17, 12:50 PM
Jtc016
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noob audio help. Full system. 😓 ls400

Hello!
I'm not very good at determining things for sound systems. I can physically do what I need to to install them. But as far as setting up an entire system I'm lost.
so my sound system is slowly taking a ****. The head unit is crazy switching to am all the time. Cassette deck just broke, so my Bluetooth cassette is useless. Sub doesn't work or isn't there(haven't checked could just be mad weak) and my driver side door speaker is blown.
SO, I want new speakers all the way around, all powered by an aftermarket amplifier(s) and a subwoofer either in the trunk or back seat, possibly in the one spot with a bit of cutting, but the you have to run it open no box so, no, that's weak. Here's my internal conflict.

I want some damn noticeable bass, but i don't want it to sound like my car is rattling apart from the outside. I don't need extravagant over the too competition bass but all said and done I want it to sound and be able to perform loudly, and cleanly in all respects.
I'm afraid with the sub in the trunk it won't travel into the cabin enough to get the effect desired mainly because the gas tank is in the middle there.
I might be okay with pitting a box on one side in the back seat or possibly behind the passenger seat.
**** passengers bass yo 😂😂😂. But I don't think there is enough room there.

out side of the subwoofer I want to replace the 4 main door speakers and power all of them from a aftermarket amp to maintain clean loud listening levels. I would like to keep installs moderately simple and bolt in where possible. So factory sized speakers or ones that will fit without too many cuss words involved. I want to keep the speakers on the cheap side. I'm not looking for professional quality. But a large improvement over what I have.

my questions are.

what sub size / location should I go with.

what door speakers sized/output ect.

what amp(s) am I looking for?

should I use a capacitor/external power devices?
I feel like my car wouldn't like the power draw

I'm sorry I just don't know, I want to keep it simple.
I'm pretty resourceful so I can find amps locally.
will /probably/ buy new speakers.

I can figure out the head unit myself!
Old 03-19-17, 01:22 PM
drseth
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jtc016
Hello!
I'm not very good at determining things for sound systems. I can physically do what I need to to install them. But as far as setting up an entire system I'm lost.
so my sound system is slowly taking a ****. The head unit is crazy switching to am all the time. Cassette deck just broke, so my Bluetooth cassette is useless. Sub doesn't work or isn't there(haven't checked could just be mad weak) and my driver side door speaker is blown.
SO, I want new speakers all the way around, all powered by an aftermarket amplifier(s) and a subwoofer either in the trunk or back seat, possibly in the one spot with a bit of cutting, but the you have to run it open no box so, no, that's weak. Here's my internal conflict.

I want some damn noticeable bass, but i don't want it to sound like my car is rattling apart from the outside. I don't need extravagant over the too competition bass but all said and done I want it to sound and be able to perform loudly, and cleanly in all respects.
I'm afraid with the sub in the trunk it won't travel into the cabin enough to get the effect desired mainly because the gas tank is in the middle there.
I might be okay with pitting a box on one side in the back seat or possibly behind the passenger seat.
**** passengers bass yo 😂😂😂. But I don't think there is enough room there.

out side of the subwoofer I want to replace the 4 main door speakers and power all of them from a aftermarket amp to maintain clean loud listening levels. I would like to keep installs moderately simple and bolt in where possible. So factory sized speakers or ones that will fit without too many cuss words involved. I want to keep the speakers on the cheap side. I'm not looking for professional quality. But a large improvement over what I have.

my questions are.

what sub size / location should I go with.

what door speakers sized/output ect.

what amp(s) am I looking for?

should I use a capacitor/external power devices?
I feel like my car wouldn't like the power draw

I'm sorry I just don't know, I want to keep it simple.
I'm pretty resourceful so I can find amps locally.
will /probably/ buy new speakers.

I can figure out the head unit myself!
Check with crutchfield for speaker specs. There are 2 systems in the LS400: Pioneer stick and optional Nakamichi. I am more familiar with Pioneer. The speakers are 4 ohm, and the subwoofer is 1 ohm. Not sure where amplifiers are.

Sound like you need a new head unit, and with inoperative speakers, the cheapest thing to do is upgrade to new head unit and speakers, and direct wire speakers to the head unit, and possibly use existing subwoofer amp for bass. You don't know which components are ok and which are not. Or you might find someone ditching stock components for cheap. Check eBay.

I am working on a 1995 SC400, which has a different head unit from the LS400. Subwoofer buzzes, but I think it is amp. On order to be here tomorrow. The rest is stock. If my head unit was bad, I would probably upgrade, as opposed to replacing with stock.

There are threads in LS400 stereo installs. Go to advanced search, keyword LS400, and this audio forum, and it is full of install and repair threads.

Good luck.