Sponsored by:

Subwoofer box cubic volume

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-16, 10:36 PM
DerekGordo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Subwoofer box cubic volume

I've been looking at making a sealed sub box and was wondering what is more important: cubic volume or dimensions? What I mean by that is if a sub company recommends a 1.00 cubic ft box does a long box that is shallow vs a box that is more uniform effect sound even if the cubic volume is the same?
Old 10-06-16, 01:59 PM
Ratchey
Intermediate

Received 94 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by DerekGordo
I've been looking at making a sealed sub box and was wondering what is more important: cubic volume or dimensions? What I mean by that is if a sub company recommends a 1.00 cubic ft box does a long box that is shallow vs a box that is more uniform effect sound even if the cubic volume is the same?
With a sealed box, you are after volume. Dimensions are only important for ensuring the sub will fit. But there are some considerations to keep in mind. If you do a long shallow box, it will require more bracing than a square box. So make sure you take any bracing into account for your volume as well as the mass of the sub.
I created a sealed box for a Jeep. The box was really shallow as it had to fit between the seat and a storage box in the rear. As the sub was over 7" deep, and the box was between 2 and 4' deep where the magnet was, I had to build a square extension to house the magnet. So you can build it any shape you want, especially if you are working with fiberglass.

Old 10-06-16, 05:49 PM
DerekGordo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for your answer!!