Sponsored by:

Focal Entry Level Speakers

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-15, 03:45 AM
DeeDeeRX
Driver School Candidate

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Focal Entry Level Speakers

I am considering upgrading the speakers in my RX. I am planning to sound deaden the doors but is it worth it to replace the stock speakers with several component sets? I am considering the entry level Focals, I am leaving the head unit because I really don't want to change the current dash look or risk my warranty. Thanks.
Old 05-07-15, 11:00 PM
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

The warranty can only be affected if the modified or aftermarket part is proven to be causing the problem. In other words, if you get a "check engine" light for a bad oxygen sensor and if they find out that you upgraded your speakers, they aren't related and they can't void the warranty. Moss magnusun act of '87 if I remember correctly.
Old 05-08-15, 12:18 AM
Boomin
Racer

Received 424 Likes on 256 Posts

I understand why you would want to upgrade your audio but it will barely make a difference without adding an amp and processor. Trust me you will love it and it's worth every penny.

Componants all the way with a 4channel amp, I'm a fan of audiocontrol

Don't know if your ride has 3 way fronts and rears but if so you'll need this

http://www.audiocontrol.com/car-audi...-upgrade/lc8i/
Old 05-08-15, 04:06 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,303 Likes on 1,006 Posts

I think booming' has a point about amp and processor. The great news is that you can upgrade your speakers and then reevaluate the new sound. Personally, as a general rule, I'd consider upgrading my speakers to a higher level than entry (not knowing anything about Focal brand). That way, if you do decide to change other components, the better speakers won't be a bottleneck in the system. Most importantly, have fun!!

Last edited by swfla; 05-08-15 at 04:13 AM.
Old 05-08-15, 10:28 AM
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Focal speakers aren't bad. One of the things that you have to watch out for is their cone adhesive. They've been known to fail quite suddenly and aren't made for the harsh automotive environment. As one of the competitors in IASCA used to say "Focal - sugar water holds the cones in shape better than their glues."

As for the hard dome tweeters, I'd stay away from them. Stick with the soft dome ones as their resonances are much more controlled. I have YET to find a hard dome tweeter that doesn't have the "ringing" problem from the tweeter design, though I have seen overly complex workarounds in crossover networks that were highly custom to the tweeter/mid combo. They aren't available for the mass market.

Which Focals were you looking at?
Old 05-14-15, 11:56 AM
MrMark
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

You're probably looking at the K2 line.

For the money, I'd go with Audison.....use the bitOne and maybe the Voce line. Or, you can go with CDT for the components and amps and maybe the bitOne or MS-8 processor.

What year RX?
Old 05-25-15, 06:50 PM
Slammer1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Any Focal speaker choice would be an upgrade over the stock drivers.... Seriously! I was a bass head for years and got into SQ and tried to improve my IS's system. Replaced the speakers first and then went with several processors before deciding to do a custom dash install and bypass the factory stereo completely. How mental you are over sound quality will dictate the lengths that you will need to go to in order to get the sound that you are looking for. For me, it was a complete removal of the factory audio, in favor of high end drivers, amp and HU. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.....