Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Largest and best reasonable speakers that fit without major mods.

Old 03-25-15, 05:20 AM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Question Largest and best reasonable speakers that fit without major mods.

What are the largest (and best) speakers you can fit in the doors and rear deck without major mods? I want the install to be easy enough for a monkey to do it.
I also want the best speakers that are fairly reasonably priced. I'd like suggestions from an audio expert on the best "Bang for your buck" speakers to buy. I'm thinking about a used JL audio 500/5 amp that sends 225w to the fronts, 25w to the rear and 250w to my sub (rears are just filler). I listen to everything but want my system to be more accurate, studio clear and loud in a "high end" way, not distorted and painful.
Thanks in advance!
Old 03-25-15, 06:33 AM
HiPSI
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

4" is going to be the bolt in like you are describing, "So easy a cave man can do it".

I'm interested in seeing peoples methods to running 6.5" in the front doors and 6.5"s in the rear deck.
Old 03-25-15, 07:17 AM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by HiPSI
4" is going to be the bolt in like you are describing, "So easy a cave man can do it".

I'm interested in seeing peoples methods to running 6.5" in the front doors and 6.5"s in the rear deck.
I don't mind a bit of modding, I just don't want to tackle some of the jobs I have seen rebuilding the front door enclosure.
Old 03-25-15, 08:43 AM
SSmith
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I have 7" Scan Speaks in my front doors. Don't think you'll get anything bigger than that. It's a lot of work also. 5-1/4 in rear deck without having to cut anything. Most larger 6-1/2's will need sheet metal cut.

Shane
Attached Thumbnails Largest and best reasonable speakers that fit without major mods.-scan1.jpg   Largest and best reasonable speakers that fit without major mods.-revelator1.jpg  
Old 03-25-15, 09:11 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 226 Likes on 206 Posts

Some 6.5's will fit in the rear deck without modification.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lex...necessary.html

I might have gotten lucky on my first try, having already settled on those speakers as best bang for the buck. I was fully expecting to have to open up the holes a bit to accommodate them.
Old 03-25-15, 09:15 AM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Shane, your mod is exactly what I had in mind when I acknowledged my lack of mod skills ;-) Id love it but I won't be going that deep with it. About 1 hr modding front and 1 hr for rear is my limit. Ill likely pay a shop for that. How hard is cutting to fit a 6 1/2 in the rear? What can I fit into the front in about an hour or so at a shop for the modding part..
Old 03-25-15, 09:22 AM
Turbo5upra
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The 500/5 is a nice amp for running tweeters and mids off of... I considered bridging it to 3 channels- one left- one right but running front and rear I'm not sure it's got it. I'd look at something with a bit more nut myself-

I would suggest to block off the rear speakers- massage a shallower 12" into the factory location then run a 6.5" in the door and a tweeter in the sail... The 500/5 would do great like that.
Old 03-25-15, 09:34 AM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by t2d2
Some 6.5's will fit in the rear deck without modification.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lex...necessary.html

I might have gotten lucky on my first try, having already settled on those speakers as best bang for the buck. I was fully expecting to have to open up the holes a bit to accommodate them.
T2D2,
I'd spend twice that happily if Pioneer has another model the same size.
Old 03-25-15, 09:38 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Studiogeek
T2D2,
I'd spend twice that happily if Pioneer has another model the same size.
The 4-way version is probably the same size, but I doubt that'll result in improved sound quality. Maybe go to a car stereo shop with the model number and see what they can pull up for similar measurements from other brands? That sort of thing will be tough to tell from listings.
Old 03-25-15, 10:17 AM
grumpi300
Lead Lap

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/bui...w-300-a-6.html
on page 6 i have my rear deck installation. theyre pioneer 6.75 according to the box. but measurements showed different size.
Old 03-25-15, 11:02 AM
SSmith
Instructor

Turbo5upra,

You think we could convince them they don't need rear speakers

Shane
Old 03-25-15, 11:24 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SSmith
While I agree that good quality door speakers are sufficient, along with just bass being reproduced in back, that overlooks sound quality for rear seat passengers. Ever sit in the back seat of someone's car who has the balance all screwy, and you're straining to hear the music? And if you feel that's of no significance, then just get a two-seater.

I've got Infinity components in the doors of my Miata and dual 8" subs in the parcel shelf, and the sound is quite immersive. Of course, I'm also feeding them with a robust amp instead of just the head unit's outputs like in the SC.
Old 03-25-15, 11:54 AM
SSmith
Instructor

t2d2,

It just depends on what you want. A true SQ vehicle 99% of the time will not have rear speakers. For the typical person it's fine having rears. From a tuning stand point it's a pain in the ***. I don't have rear seat passengers so it isn't an issue for me anyway. My car is set up as a pure SQ vehicle which I probably spent more money on having the car tuned than most guys put in equipment in there car. To each there own.

Shane
Old 03-25-15, 02:08 PM
Turbo5upra
Driver School Candidate

Turbo5upra

Shane
Isn't there an old adage about a guy with a horse and some water?
t2d2,

It just depends on what you want. A true SQ vehicle 99% of the time will not have rear speakers. For the typical person it's fine having rears. From a tuning stand point it's a pain in the ***. I don't have rear seat passengers so it isn't an issue for me anyway. My car is set up as a pure SQ vehicle which I probably spent more money on having the car tuned than most guys put in equipment in there car. To each there own.

Shane
I've never heard a car that car pull off rear speakers correctly.... from what I've gathered you want to bandpass them and run them out of phase in order to create ambiance.... but I'll just stick to no rear speakers :-P

As for the best speakers... you could spend 4-5k on a pair of speakers.... I'd shy away from the 4,5,6,19 way coax speakers- while point source 20hz-20k is ideal you don't need 4 speakers in one basket to do it- a simple coax will do the trick.

You can fit 10's back there without too much trouble ;-) But I think it came with 5.25's- if you insist on running rear speakers I'm sure we can find you something that will work.

Best bet is to tell us what you already have. What your budget is. What your goals are. What type of music you listen to.

And we'll try and get you going in the right direction!
Old 03-25-15, 03:19 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

^ Stock is 4", and from those pics, I'd guess that's a lot of trouble to fab up and install something that big unless you also happen to be removing the rear glass.

I'm more mid-phile than audiophile. I appreciate good quality equipment and smooth sounding music, but I don't have a finicky enough ear to sense any imaging problem with front and rear speakers. Especially not once road noise is factored in.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Largest and best reasonable speakers that fit without major mods.