Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Largest and best reasonable speakers that fit without major mods.

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-15, 03:29 PM
ems
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Craig 80's speaker boxes!!! baaa baaawww! def lepoard and big hair, good. to. go!
but nah geek If I were you Id get some NS10m drivers or de-shell some genelecs and put those in, it would be like you never left the studio. just baffle them on the underside of the deck to keep the resistance on the drivers to prevent over excursion. That would be sick.

I don't listen to the radio I listen to the harmony of wheel rub and bumper scrapes. (I lowered the car too much! time for an adjustment)

Last edited by ems; 03-25-15 at 03:33 PM.
Old 03-25-15, 04:44 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by SSmith
Turbo5upra,

You think we could convince them they don't need rear speakers

Shane
If I can get enough sound out of the doors, i'd surely consider it! I have already actually after reading a bit.
Old 03-25-15, 04:48 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by ems
Craig 80's speaker boxes!!! baaa baaawww! def lepoard and big hair, good. to. go!
but nah geek If I were you Id get some NS10m drivers or de-shell some genelecs and put those in, it would be like you never left the studio. just baffle them on the underside of the deck to keep the resistance on the drivers to prevent over excursion. That would be sick.

I don't listen to the radio I listen to the harmony of wheel rub and bumper scrapes. (I lowered the car too much! time for an adjustment)
EMS,
Ha! Those drivers are hard as hell to get now! I sold mine years ago. I'm using Focal and some old Blue Sky monitors now.
Old 03-25-15, 05:29 PM
HiPSI
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What would you guys recommend for a decent mid quality to high quality 6.5 component set for the front? I've had infinity reference 6.5" components before and they sounded decent. My dad used to compete in USAC competitions and focused in sound quality. His whole front stage was focal and he drove them with older original soundstream amps. I remember how crisp and incredible the front stage was in that car you could get lost in the music!
Old 03-25-15, 06:00 PM
Turbo5upra
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HiPSI
What would you guys recommend for a decent mid quality to high quality 6.5 component set for the front? I've had infinity reference 6.5" components before and they sounded decent. My dad used to compete in USAC competitions and focused in sound quality. His whole front stage was focal and he drove them with older original soundstream amps. I remember how crisp and incredible the front stage was in that car you could get lost in the music!
It's very hard to suggest a specific brand of speakers over the internet- Just out of curiosity what part of VA are you in? I have several friends spread out over the state that are more than happy demo some equipment if that would help. If you really aren't in a hurry there should be some gatherings or SQ events nearby this summer- be it IASCA or MECA.
Old 03-25-15, 09:25 PM
SEIDO
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm glad somebody brought this up, as I'm in the market for a system.
However, I'm on a budget, and I'm not an audiophile, so I don't really care about "the BEST" sound system, as much as I do mechanical-performance. I simply want something which sounds good relative to the OEM systems in 2015 vehicles; something that's of better quality than these '97 pieces o' crap I have now ...
That said, isn't Bose a really good sound system? I was thinking about taking some OEM Bose's from a more recent car, like a 2007 Infiniti or something, and installing those. I don't need anything bigger than the OEM sizes, but if I can find some 6" instead of 4", then fine; whatever ...
The only thing truly aftermarket-quality I prefer is the subs; so I may buy two JL 10's with a JL amp for the trunk, but first things first.

So what do you guy think?

E.g.

Here's everything I need in the original places:

2 Tweeters
2 Fronts
2 Rears
1 Sub + Amp

Old 03-25-15, 09:29 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 228 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by CityKnight
That said, isn't Bose a really good sound system?
Yes, really good at marketing. I used to be a proponent of their tower speakers, until [massively] upgrading my amps and realizing how limited they are with a good power supply.

"No highs, no lows, must be Bose."
Old 03-25-15, 09:53 PM
SEIDO
Instructor

So I should avoid them?
Old 03-25-15, 10:01 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

So I should avoid them?
They're middle of the road, which is about where your satisfaction level will be. The problem is, is it worth aiming that low for the trouble of integrating an OEM system from a different vehicle? I think you'll get a better outcome for less money and less trouble with aftermarket items.

Think of it this way, the Bose systems of today are a product of the same marketing that was able to label our ridiculously poorly spec'ed speaker systems as premium back in the '90s. They're catering to an image more than a performance level.
Old 03-25-15, 10:18 PM
SEIDO
Instructor

???
Where can I get a better-quality 8-piece system for $120?
I'll buy it right now.
Old 03-25-15, 10:24 PM
eknine9
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah Bose is not worth it.
Old 03-25-15, 10:24 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

???
Where can I get a better-quality 8-piece system for $120?
I'll buy it right now.
You can beat that fairly easily with used items, which would be the appropriate apples to apples comparison. But, I wouldn't count the amp and tweeters/x-overs as part of the eight pieces. They're simply throw-ins that aren't worth swapping out what you've already got. That price is nothing special for a pile of inferior used speakers. Plus, don't forget about the $23 shipping.
Old 03-26-15, 04:38 AM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Turbo5upra
Isn't there an old adage about a guy with a horse and some water?

I am drinking for sure. Please keep it coming!

Best bet is to tell us what you already have. What your budget is. What your goals are. What type of music you listen to.

And we'll try and get you going in the right direction!
I have a JL Audio 500/5 and Eclipse SW7000 coming for this car. I also have a Pioneer TS-SW251 shallow mount 10' I've been sitting on. I am going to get a Pioneer App radio 3 most likely next. I want more powerful speakers in front and filler in back. The JL Audio will support this as it sends 225w up front and just 25w to the rear plus 250 to the sub.
I mainly need to figure out which sub to use (or both) and new AWESOME front speakers that can take 225w up front and configuration.

Thank You Guys!

SG
Old 03-26-15, 08:48 AM
Teal Sc400
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

CDT speakers are descent speakers. I purchased/replaced my blown rear speakers several years ago, with the standarded 4" CDT Audio Coaxials.
http://www.cdtaudio.com/reviews/revi...cles/vince.htm
Old 03-26-15, 04:03 PM
Turbo5upra
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Studiogeek
I have a JL Audio 500/5 and Eclipse SW7000 coming for this car. I also have a Pioneer TS-SW251 shallow mount 10' I've been sitting on. I am going to get a Pioneer App radio 3 most likely next. I want more powerful speakers in front and filler in back. The JL Audio will support this as it sends 225w up front and just 25w to the rear plus 250 to the sub.
I mainly need to figure out which sub to use (or both) and new AWESOME front speakers that can take 225w up front and configuration.

Thank You Guys!

SG
Alright... If this were my car and I was trying to do a decent sq build on a budget here is what I'd do....

http://www.alpine-usa.com/product/view/cde-hd149bt
http://www.arcaudio.com/p/xdi-1200-6?pp=24
https://www.parts-express.com/dayton...4-ohm--295-375
3 8" subwoofers- one in the factory location- 2 in the factory speaker locations giving you roughly the cone are of a single 12 and being that it's in the cabin that should do the trick just fine
https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.co...-dome-tweeter/

Thats how I'd do it :-)

Ill post more in a bit If I had to find a way to use the stuff you have...

Quick Reply: Largest and best reasonable speakers that fit without major mods.