Sponsored by:

Faulty Stereo?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-15, 05:33 PM
tfwnoturbo
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Faulty Stereo?

Hey everyone, Recently I got into an accident with my SC and she was put into storage while I fixed her up. I finally got everything put back together to find out that the Stereo is non-functioning. The battery was dead while I was working on it, so I recharged it up to where it could start and went for a drive to see if everything was normal. The stereo turns on and changes station, but regardless of where the volume **** is, there is no sound or noise. The tape player operates normally but also emits no noise. I assume the CD player works as well but it throws out "Err. 2" which is what I assume happens when you don't have anything in the Changer, but yeah, no noise.

I find this strange because while I was taking the front bumper off, I had to move it into the Garage for a bit. The battery had gotten discharged to the point where attempting to start would only make repeated clicking, so I recharged it and moved it. During this time however, the stereo functioned normally. But now that the battery has died completely and was recharged, the stereo no longer functions. I'm no expert at electronics but I'm fairly certain speakers or stereos don't die from being uncharged for long periods of time.

I called my dad up who knows about this type of stuff and he said that it's a theft countermeasure; after the battery loses charge or is disconnected, the stereo becomes inoperable and requires a special code to be put in for it to work again. Is this true, and if so, where can I find this code? I've looked at the troubleshooting document on the Repair manual and it says it's a faulty radio assembly, but I don't want to drop money on something that isn't broken. Anyone here been through this that can guide me through? Thanks in advance!
Old 02-03-15, 06:25 PM
Ramblerman
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Check your amp under the CD player, right rear Qtr panel. That tends to be the biggest problem with the Nak sytems.
Old 02-03-15, 06:32 PM
tfwnoturbo
Pit Crew

Apologies, I forgot to specify that it's the stock Pioneer system on a 2000 SC300.
Old 02-04-15, 08:43 PM
tfwnoturbo
Pit Crew

Update: Looked in the Fusebox, the Radio No. 2 Fuse is fine, so it's not that. Don't know which one is the Amp fuse, if anyone could point that out so I can check it, that'd be swell. Service manual says this:

• If the negative (−) terminal cable is disconnected from the battery, the ”ANTI−THEFT SYSTEM” will
    operate when the cable is reconnected, but the radio, tape player and CD player will not operate. Be
    sure to input the correct ID number so that the radio, tape player and CD player can be operated again.
    If
This kinda confirms the existence of an ID, but I have no idea where the ID is. Can I go to a dealership and ask for the ID and they'll just give it to me, or does it cost something? Any help would be appreciated. I also called up the dealership and all the lady on the phone said that she can schedule a diagnostic check but that costs 99 dollars () so that's out of the question. Any way to just ask for the stereo reset without them hurling any extra payments at me?