Sponsored by:

IS250 Speaker Upgrade Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-15, 02:05 PM
BLK09IS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IS250 Speaker Upgrade Question

I have read over the past two weeks that replacing the stock speakers will not improve the stock system. I find this hard to believe but please correct me if I am wrong. I understand that everything is designed to work with the stock HU and Amp but why would installing new 6.5's in all of the door NOT improve overall sound?

If I am completely wrong what have some of you done to upgrade without replacing the stock amp? Has anyone just simply replaced all of the 6.5's in the doors? If so will I need new mounts or will 6.5's fit in where the stock speakers were?

What about component speakers? I see some people have added these but will I need to drill holes in the door panels for the tweeters? Do any additional mods need to be performed with component speakers or can I simply use the existing wiring and put them in?
Old 04-28-15, 03:05 PM
George68
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I suggest you add more power to those factory speakers. You will be surprised how much better they will sound. Replacing speakers is a waste if you are going to use the factory amplifier.
Old 05-07-15, 10:55 PM
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Replacing the stock speakers are usually the FIRST stage in any upgrade. The stock ones aren't very good sounding and in my vehicle (98 gs4), they were just horrible. I went with Dynaudio components and had to make custom baffles for the speakers. Tremendous difference. Where are you reading that a speaker upgrade isn't making a difference?
The following users liked this post:
Studious80 (07-25-21)
Old 05-07-15, 10:57 PM
Percy

Originally Posted by George68
I suggest you add more power to those factory speakers. You will be surprised how much better they will sound. Replacing speakers is a waste if you are going to use the factory amplifier.
My experience differs from this. Very large gains in sound quality can be achieved, even with the stock amps. I'm using the stock pioneer amp in the 2nd gen GS4 with Dynaudio. Huge difference from stock speakers.
The following users liked this post:
Studious80 (07-25-21)
Old 05-11-15, 01:59 AM
George68
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Percy
Replacing the stock speakers are usually the FIRST stage in any upgrade. The stock ones aren't very good sounding and in my vehicle (98 gs4), they were just horrible. I went with Dynaudio components and had to make custom baffles for the speakers. Tremendous difference. Where are you reading that a speaker upgrade isn't making a difference?
I didn't read it, I tried it and tested it myself with an rta. I installed an Audison Bit One with an Alpine 4 channel amp running the front dash speakers and door speakers and another 4 channel amp running the rear speakers and centre channel. I also removed the factory sub and installed a 10" sub and it is powered by an Alpine mono amp.

A friend of mine has the exact same car and upgraded all his factory speakers with Focal speakers connected to the factory amp. He also installed a new sub and mono amp. Night and day difference, mine sounds way better than his.

There is also one thing you are forgetting, the system in your 98 Gs4 is most likely different than the IS250. The newer the car is the more likely the factory amp outputs are crossed over and equalized.

We hooked up the rta before and after the speaker upgrades in my friends car and it really did not make too much of a difference.

Last edited by George68; 05-11-15 at 02:14 AM.
Old 05-11-15, 09:53 AM
Percy

George,

Old Pioneer amps used in the GS were also equalized and had some xover going on. The tweeters though had a passive 6db/oct crossover in the form of a small cap inline with the tweeter.

Any chance of showing the RTA graphs?
Old 05-11-15, 10:35 PM
George68
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Percy
George,

Old Pioneer amps used in the GS were also equalized and had some xover going on. The tweeters though had a passive 6db/oct crossover in the form of a small cap inline with the tweeter.

Any chance of showing the RTA graphs?
I didn't think I would need them so I didn't take any pics of the graph.
Old 05-12-15, 06:26 PM
Slammer1
Lexus Test Driver

The issue isn't necessarily the driver, but the amp itself. Factory systems are "tuned" to what the manufacturer "thinks" the average buyer wants to hear. Loud with lots of ridiculous bass...... OE EQ settings are ridiculous to be honest, even when set to flat.... Look Up JL Audio's tutorial on their Clean Sweep module and you will understand. I pulled the original speakers in my car quite a few years ago and upgraded to Hertz Hi-Power seriers HSKs. I was shocked that I didn't hear the difference that I expected. Only after bypassing the factory amp with an aftermarket HU did I find the SQ that I was looking for.

Last edited by Slammer1; 05-12-15 at 06:33 PM.