No sound 98 Lexus ES300 head unit install

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-15, 08:23 PM
Michael86
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No sound 98 Lexus ES300 head unit install

Hello,

I installed a double DIN Pioneer head unit (AVH-P4200DVD) 3 years ago into my 1998 Lexus ES300 with a Metra kit and I had absolutely no issues hooking up the wiring. I connected it and had it running perfectly until the head unit touch screen failed. Ie: sound still worked.

Last week I purchased a newer double DIN unit (Kenwood DDX771) and went to install this unit. Due to the plug in being reversed on the unit (the pin that keeps it locked in) I had to use the new harness and redo all the connections. The problem is that once it was all completed and plugged in there was no sound! Everything works great…except…zero sound!

I searched and found an article on this site that states that you cannot use the stock amplifier with an aftermarket head unit. It then goes into detail as to how to bypass the amplifier. I will be working on this soon if it is the only solution, however, it is extremely frustrating.

My question is this: Why did it work perfectly fine with the Pioneer head unit but now that I’m using the Kenwood it doesn’t work as a plug and play? The Metra kit uses RCA plugs for the speakers and the remote power wire for the stock amp. It’s all connected…just not working.

I tried both the 7.5 AMP fuse under the steering column and the 20 AMP fuse in the engine compartment. No luck in both cases.

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks,

Article about bypassing amplifier.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lex...xus-es300.html
Old 01-15-15, 04:26 AM
Shibumi1
Lexus Champion

Received 84 Likes on 60 Posts

Make sure the amp turn on lead is connected to the proper lead...blue/white wire from radio to the blue or blue/white wire in metra harness
Old 01-15-15, 04:29 AM
Shibumi1
Lexus Champion

Received 84 Likes on 60 Posts

Question... u didnt try to plug the pioneer harness into the kenwood did u? That may have caused a short inside the kenwood. ... being upside down is not the only difference.... all the pins could be in different positions.
Old 01-15-15, 06:37 PM
Michael86
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nope. Didn't use the Pioneer harness. If it was the same physically I would have verified the wires first.

I definitely have the correct wires connected. Blue white to blue white.
Old 05-01-20, 10:26 AM
MasonFX
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Shibumi1
Make sure the amp turn on lead is connected to the proper lead...blue/white wire from radio to the blue or blue/white wire in metra harness
Years later my friend your words helped out some guy. I had the blue to blue, i put blue/white to blue and it instantly worked. Yay!
Old 05-02-20, 08:48 AM
BMeek
Pit Crew

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts
Default es300 amp bypass is way easier than that...

There's a much easier/cleaner/reversible way to bypass that factory amp: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es-...g-harness.html

Last edited by BMeek; 05-02-20 at 09:02 AM. Reason: Quoted a real old post by mistake...
Old 05-02-20, 09:04 AM
BMeek
Pit Crew

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by MasonFX
Years later my friend your words helped out some guy. I had the blue to blue, i put blue/white to blue and it instantly worked. Yay!
Does the amp send a loud pop to the speakers when it powers on (and off)?