Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Special Interest Forums > Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

No sound 98 Lexus ES300 head unit install

Old 01-12-15, 08:23 PM   #1
Michael86
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)

Default No sound 98 Lexus ES300 head unit install

Hello,

I installed a double DIN Pioneer head unit (AVH-P4200DVD) 3 years ago into my 1998 Lexus ES300 with a Metra kit and I had absolutely no issues hooking up the wiring. I connected it and had it running perfectly until the head unit touch screen failed. Ie: sound still worked.

Last week I purchased a newer double DIN unit (Kenwood DDX771) and went to install this unit. Due to the plug in being reversed on the unit (the pin that keeps it locked in) I had to use the new harness and redo all the connections. The problem is that once it was all completed and plugged in there was no sound! Everything works great…except…zero sound!

I searched and found an article on this site that states that you cannot use the stock amplifier with an aftermarket head unit. It then goes into detail as to how to bypass the amplifier. I will be working on this soon if it is the only solution, however, it is extremely frustrating.

My question is this: Why did it work perfectly fine with the Pioneer head unit but now that I’m using the Kenwood it doesn’t work as a plug and play? The Metra kit uses RCA plugs for the speakers and the remote power wire for the stock amp. It’s all connected…just not working.

I tried both the 7.5 AMP fuse under the steering column and the 20 AMP fuse in the engine compartment. No luck in both cases.

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks,

Article about bypassing amplifier.

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/lexu...xus-es300.html
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
Michael86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-15, 04:26 AM   #2
Shibumi1
Lexus Test Driver

Make sure the amp turn on lead is connected to the proper lead...blue/white wire from radio to the blue or blue/white wire in metra harness

D.C. aka Shibumi1
Shibumi1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-15, 04:29 AM   #3
Shibumi1
Lexus Test Driver

Question... u didnt try to plug the pioneer harness into the kenwood did u? That may have caused a short inside the kenwood. ... being upside down is not the only difference.... all the pins could be in different positions.

D.C. aka Shibumi1
Shibumi1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-15, 06:37 PM   #4
Michael86
Driver School Candidate

Nope. Didn't use the Pioneer harness. If it was the same physically I would have verified the wires first.

I definitely have the correct wires connected. Blue white to blue white.
Michael86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-15, 06:37 PM