Sponsored by:

Question about brands...

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-14, 08:27 PM
jowsleyyy
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Question about brands...

I have a couple options to choose from. I've owned Hertz MLK 165 components before and loved them. I purchased them about 4-5 years ago. Now the shop I went to suggests using Illusion Audio.

He is offering Carbon c8, carbon c12 xl, mosconi as 200.2, processor 4 to 6, deadening for the doors, and wire and install for about $3k. Does this sound resonable??? I've never heard of this brand before. Anyone know why one would reccomend these over the Hertz speakers? or a brand like JL?
Old 01-03-15, 04:30 AM
Shibumi1
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 63 Posts

Illusion audio is a mid-grade product imho.. your hertz are better... but do your research read reviews. I'm currently fond of the new Mmats pro line an the class d 6ch is the best amp I've seen in 20yrs..
Old 01-03-15, 07:17 PM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What do you currently have? Reason I ask is I was about to "upgrade" to a new set of speakers and the sound guru of the shop advised me that I didn't have to do so as the 3 set components in my RX 350 would sound good once dialed in for time alignment, phase, slope etc. These are the factory Pioneers. He was correct & they sound fantastic. Just today I went by another reputable shop to see about purchasing some Audison/Hertz and their installer an ISCA judge advised against it. After 15 minutes in the car he picked off the lack of super detail in the upper highs but gave it praise for the solid mids and the 6x9's. Also the soundstage of the music on the dash was excellent he said.
How many shops do you know that will decline to sell you gear against a stock set up? That's integrity & honesty.
The sound in the RX is laid back and non fatiguing. While excellent in mids there seems to be a wee bit detail that rolls off quickly in the 3k-6k range like a super light fabric has been draped over the sound. Otherwise nothing wrong with these speakers! Keep them
So my advice is to take baby steps first. Buy an amp to power all the speakers so you can go active. Then throw in a Helix dsp or Audison and have it dialed in, Well worth the $$$$. Mine came to about your cost with the purchase of a HU, DSP, JL 6 ch amp and install.
Old 01-05-15, 08:01 PM
jowsleyyy
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Shibumi1
Illusion audio is a mid-grade product imho.. your hertz are better... but do your research read reviews. I'm currently fond of the new Mmats pro line an the class d 6ch is the best amp I've seen in 20yrs..
That's what I thought. I loved my Hertz speakers. I think I'll just stick with the Hertz line up

Originally Posted by rxonmymind
What do you currently have? Reason I ask is I was about to "upgrade" to a new set of speakers and the sound guru of the shop advised me that I didn't have to do so as the 3 set components in my RX 350 would sound good once dialed in for time alignment, phase, slope etc. These are the factory Pioneers. He was correct & they sound fantastic. Just today I went by another reputable shop to see about purchasing some Audison/Hertz and their installer an ISCA judge advised against it. After 15 minutes in the car he picked off the lack of super detail in the upper highs but gave it praise for the solid mids and the 6x9's. Also the soundstage of the music on the dash was excellent he said.
How many shops do you know that will decline to sell you gear against a stock set up? That's integrity & honesty.
The sound in the RX is laid back and non fatiguing. While excellent in mids there seems to be a wee bit detail that rolls off quickly in the 3k-6k range like a super light fabric has been draped over the sound. Otherwise nothing wrong with these speakers! Keep them
So my advice is to take baby steps first. Buy an amp to power all the speakers so you can go active. Then throw in a Helix dsp or Audison and have it dialed in, Well worth the $$$$. Mine came to about your cost with the purchase of a HU, DSP, JL 6 ch amp and install.
I recently bought the RC 350 F Sport without the Mark L's package. I had a very high end speaker set up in my previous A3. These stock speakers just don't cut it for me. I already took the plunge back in the day, and now I can't go back XD