Sponsored by:

Door Locks

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-03, 10:42 AM
sepia
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Door Locks

Hello everyone. New to this forum. I have a '96 ES300 with 89K miles. A few small electrical problems have cropped up but I'll just state one of them here. The front passenger door lock doesn't want to lock/unlock remotely or from the drivers side lock/unlock switch. Have anyone had this problem? If so, what was the solution? Thanks in advance.
Old 03-06-03, 11:54 AM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

For your lock/unlock switch from the driver's side, one thing you can check is the fuse of the switch. The location of the fuse should be in your owner's manual. Does the button on your master key fob work properly? If not, the battery of the key could be dead. It's a lithium-type battery, I don't remember its part number, but you can easily open up the key and get to it. The battery can be found at Radio Shack, or any electronics parts store. Good luck.
Old 03-06-03, 07:00 PM
zexen
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

lexusk8 got 'em right on.

i would first check the battery, then the lock/unlock switch on the small panel to the left of the steering column, and then the fuse, which is located a little further down from the on/off switch.

these would be the only 3 things affecting it, unless a wire fell loose under you dash, but that's not likely.
Old 03-06-03, 08:00 PM
steviej
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

sepia, you failed to mention whether or not the passenger door locks/unlocks from the switch on THAT door. If it does work, then you can exclude the actuator for the lock cylinder on that door. This is a possibility if only one door is affected. When you hit the key fob, do ANY of the doors lock and unlock?
Some more info will be helpful.

In support of what Zeta and Lexusk8 have stated, the battery is always the first to be replaced (its the cheapest).

steviej
Old 03-07-03, 08:09 AM
sepia
Driver School Candidate

Whoa! Didn't think a response would come back so soon! Thanks people! I did replace the battery in the key which didn't really pertain to my problem because the other doors will unlock/lock using the key. The unlock/lock switch on the passenger door (the door that has the problem) doesn't work either. So the next step is to check the unlock/lock switch as someone mentioned. Now, is the lock/unlock switch on the small panel that is to the left of the steering column on the dashboard or on the drivers' door? Thanks again.
Old 03-07-03, 10:31 AM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

definatly not a fuse as they run whole systems not particular parts of a system

first
look at the light for the door when it is open under by the map pocket
does it light up? or does the power windows work on that door?
if not there is a problem for the whole door power source more than likely
usually the harness plug came off
other wise it is the actuator which moves the lock mechanism back and forth
or a wire likely at the flex hinge( big rubber sheath runs wires from door to body )
also check the corner of the foot well oon the right of the passanger side there is a little kick panel carpeted that has most of the wiring connections

good luck
Old 03-07-03, 08:09 PM
steviej
Lexus Champion

the button to lock/unlock all doors is on the drivers door, near the four window switches.
If you press this door and 3 doors lock/unlock and the door in question doesn't, then we move to the door.
skp has a good point. Check other electical components of that door (ie lights, window, even mirror).
If the window works and lights work, then the problem is in the lock mechanism or a wiring coupler.
Again, check the wires behind the kick panel and going from body to door. A wire may have broken.
wiggle the harness while trying to lock and unlock the door. Try to isolate the malfunction.
Keep us posted.
You may be getting to the point where the door panel has to come off to see all the actuator. This may be frightening to some and fun for others.

steviej
Old 03-20-03, 11:33 AM
sepia
Driver School Candidate

Default Door lock

Thanks for all the help, people. I ended up taking it to a Lexus dealer and found out it is the actuator that is preventing the automatic lock from working. Unfortunately, it will cost me $500+ to get fixed but it needed to be done because we are selling the ES300 to buy a GS300/400. So if anyone is looking for a '96 ES300 with 90K miles and if anyone is selling a '01 GS300, hit me back.
Old 08-13-03, 09:53 AM
Bluesman
Driver

Crap. I'm having the same issue with my front passenger door lock. Shelling out $500+ to replace the actuator is a very steep price to repair one power lock. Can the actuator be swapped from one door to the next ? Would swapping the actuator from the rear passenger door to the front be a sensible alternative ? Suggestions anyone ?
Old 08-21-03, 06:55 PM
BigRich
Pole Position

Both my right front and rear doors have the same problem. Man that is a steep price. Is there any other way?
Old 08-25-03, 01:13 PM
mikelant
Driver School Candidate

Default same here!

I have the same problem.

My drivers door will not lock using the alarm button on the key. It will UNLOCK, though. It started happening about two years ago, I had the problem for about six months and then it fixed itself! It worked for about a year and then it stopped working about 2 months ago. No way I'm going to pay $500 to fix it. I am just using the key to lock my door.

Mikelant
Old 08-25-03, 08:53 PM
squarehat
Lexus Test Driver

Any chance that a lock actuator could be pulled from another Lexus/Toyota vehicle (i.e. part from salvaged car)? The external switchgear for lock mechanisms looks very similar among many Lexus/Toyota vehicles of the same vintage, I'm not sure about the internals. But I've known people who have found window regulators from salvaged cars for a fraction of the new price, perhaps the lock actuators can be found similarly.
Old 08-25-03, 09:29 PM
LexDiamond
Lead Lap

Default Re: Door Locks

Originally posted by sepia
Hello everyone. New to this forum. I have a '96 ES300 with 89K miles. A few small electrical problems have cropped up but I'll just state one of them here. The front passenger door lock doesn't want to lock/unlock remotely or from the drivers side lock/unlock switch. Have anyone had this problem? If so, what was the solution? Thanks in advance.

Yes. It was a tripped door lock. My mechanic fixed it for $50
Old 10-19-11, 01:00 PM
rfdeitpe
Driver School Candidate

If youu remove the actuator, and carefully pry the case apart, you will find a small motor that can easley be replaced for $5 from ebay, also see following:http://forum.ih8mud.com/100-series-c...placement.html
Old 10-28-11, 12:43 AM
Yamae

Received 854 Likes on 646 Posts

I just have fixed the actuator with no money but my small efforts were needed. The detail is written at my Blog below. The motor didn't work well initially and I found it was caused by the internal bridge between the terminals.
http://blogs.yahoo.co.jp/mae_yas/MYBLOG/yblog.html

Quick Reply: Door Locks