Sponsored by:

Autostarters?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-03, 04:23 PM
Shoofin'GS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Autostarters?

I want to install an autostarter in my GS. The only problem I see with installing autostarters in the newer cars today is that when you activate the autostarter, because the engine is running, it disables the power from the factory remote, so you would not be able to unlock the doors with the remote when the car is running. The only way to unlock the door at that point is to put the key in the door. Isn't there a way to get the remote to work when the car is running so I don't have to put it in the door? My brother has it on his IS300, and I find it irritating that you have to put the key in the door to unlock everything, that's why I'm reluctant to get it. Anyone have an autostarter that has some method to unlock the door by remote?
Ed
Old 03-02-03, 06:06 PM
Sovero1
Pole Position

Depending how much you want to spend, you may want to upgrade our crappy factory alarm as well. I have a Compustar remote starter, alarm, keyless entry with a 2-way remote pager (the one with a 1.25 mile range). It has that and many other things, including remote trunk release and 2 open auxilary channels. I have a 1st gen GS, so all these things are important to me.

A member of CL by the name of BananaGS has devised a simple way to have two alarms coexist on a 2nd gen GS. On my car, I just had the shop disable the auto-arm function of the factory alarm.

Hope this helps.
Old 03-02-03, 08:56 PM
kodai
Driver

Default Re: Autostarters?

Originally posted by Shoofin'GS
I want to install an autostarter in my GS. The only problem I see with installing autostarters in the newer cars today is that when you activate the autostarter, because the engine is running, it disables the power from the factory remote, so you would not be able to unlock the doors with the remote when the car is running. The only way to unlock the door at that point is to put the key in the door. Isn't there a way to get the remote to work when the car is running so I don't have to put it in the door? My brother has it on his IS300, and I find it irritating that you have to put the key in the door to unlock everything, that's why I'm reluctant to get it. Anyone have an autostarter that has some method to unlock the door by remote?
Ed
You should contact Charles at GReddy Performance. He has autostart with the factory alarm in his GS, and they both work..
Old 03-02-03, 10:58 PM
Shoofin'GS
Driver School Candidate

Default Re: Re: Autostarters?

Originally posted by kodai
You should contact Charles at GReddy Performance. He has autostart with the factory alarm in his GS, and they both work..
And how would I be able to contact him?
Old 03-03-03, 07:48 AM
kodai
Driver

Default Re: Re: Re: Autostarters?

And how would I be able to contact him?

The number is 949-588-8300.
Old 03-05-03, 05:10 AM
dagr8tsthustla
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by Sovero1
Depending how much you want to spend, you may want to upgrade our crappy factory alarm as well. I have a Compustar remote starter, alarm, keyless entry with a 2-way remote pager (the one with a 1.25 mile range). It has that and many other things, including remote trunk release and 2 open auxilary channels. I have a 1st gen GS, so all these things are important to me.

A member of CL by the name of BananaGS has devised a simple way to have two alarms coexist on a 2nd gen GS. On my car, I just had the shop disable the auto-arm function of the factory alarm.

Hope this helps.
How much did you pay for your compustar?? If you don't mind me asking??

Thanks,
danny
Old 03-05-03, 08:23 PM
pcmw
Lexus Champion

Default Re: Autostarters?

Ed
Shoofin,

This is a simple issue and fairly easy to overcome. DEI's line of auto start alarms do pretty good. When starting the car from armed/locked mode...it opens and then relocks the doors to bypass the factory alarm, and then starts. So instead of carrying TWO key fob remotes. You only need one. My alarm, after it starts, will still arm/disarm with the engine autostart engaged. In fact, I get coffee in the morning, pull up to the coffee place, engages the car start while it is running so I can pull the key out, and then arm the alarm as normal.

MW
Old 03-05-03, 08:35 PM
r00kie
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by pcmw
Shoofin,

This is a simple issue and fairly easy to overcome. DEI's line of auto start alarms do pretty good. When starting the car from armed/locked mode...it opens and then relocks the doors to bypass the factory alarm, and then starts. So instead of carrying TWO key fob remotes. You only need one. My alarm, after it starts, will still arm/disarm with the engine autostart engaged. In fact, I get coffee in the morning, pull up to the coffee place, engages the car start while it is running so I can pull the key out, and then arm the alarm as normal.

MW
MW,

Can you give us an estimate of the cost for your setup? Also, which shop does the best work in S. Cali?

Thanks,
r00kie
Old 03-05-03, 09:00 PM
pcmw
Lexus Champion

Shoofin,

Cost: Alarm unit is from $200-450 depending on other features you want. Door locks, flashing parking lights, shock sensor, starter kill, etc are usually included. Options would be window control, sunroof control, stereo remote turn on....etc..

Install Labor: $200+ depending on if you want your alarm to work all the time, or just once in a while (cheap installers cut corners and then the crimps/connectors fail and you are stuck stranded).

Best shop in So Cal area.... Hands down, TMEngineering. http://www.tmengineering.net/

MW
Old 03-06-03, 07:32 AM
Shoofin'GS
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by pcmw
Shoofin,

MW
DEI carries a bunch of different brands of auto starters. Which one did you get? Is there anything specifically that you programmed within the unit that gave you the ability to do that?
Old 03-06-03, 08:14 AM
pcmw
Lexus Champion

Shoofin,

I have a Viper 550, however, most of the models share technology. Darrell Issa patented most of the alarm technology gizmos to make it work flawlessly and then bought brands to implement the pieces.

Programming is basic and straight forward. I may step up to the two-way alarm, but can't find a whole lot of reason for it yet.

MW