Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Need help with installation of double din navigation in 2005 RX330 (Metra kit)

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-14, 07:19 PM
TMathews
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with installation of double din navigation in 2005 RX330 (Metra kit)

Hi everyone! This isn't my first install, but it is my first in a Lexus or any car with this complicated of a back end.

First off, what I've got:
2005 RX330. No navi, no ML, no Bluetooth. "Standard" 6 disc in-dash radio with Lexus factory amp.
Clarion NX702
Metra ASWC-1
Metra AX-ADBOX1
Metra AX-ADTY01

I butt-spliced all the wires together according to the diagram for the NX702 and the diagrams for the ADBOX1 and ADTY01. Specifically, I want to call out the fact that I ran the radio's front and rear outs into the matching ins on the ADTY01.

For the good:
Door chime works
AC works
Steering wheel tilt works
So, as far as I know the ADBOX1 is doing its job.

And for the bad:
Radio isn't powering off on turning the car off
No sound

Tomorrow, I'm going to cut and re-splice the accessory power line and the amp power on line and see if I have a bad connection. Aside from that, are there any other quirks I need to look out for with this setup? I did run firmware updates on both of the Metra pieces.

I did buy a TYTO-01 in my confusion as well, but to the best of my understanding now it duplicates the functions of the ADBOX1 in that both will feed the factory amp. Am I correct in my understanding there, or do I need to splice the TYTO-01 in somehow?

I'm also having a hard time understanding how the ADBOX1 works and the instructions are frankly a joke. Is it reading the 4 channels of the amplified outputs on the radio and adjusting the fade on the amplifier accordingly?

I hate to pay someone to do this, especially after I bought all the parts but if it needs to be it needs to be.

Anyone have any ideas?
Old 06-28-14, 05:00 PM
TMathews
7th Gear

So, it's bad form to reply to yourself but I thought my progress might help someone in the future.

First off, I spent three hours on the phone with Metra tech support with a multimeter checking voltages and continuity on the ADBOX and it's associated harness. His final verdict was that either it wasn't detecting the RX330 correctly or it was defective and thought it was somewhat likely it was a failure in detection. He advised me that they "never have problems with the TYTO-01".

So, let's talk about the TYTO-01. I cut my Clarion's harness off the ADBOX and crimped it onto the the TYTO-01 and spliced in the harness for the ASWC. Contrary to what I've read, the chimes and steering wheel tilt and AC worked correctly without the resistor spliced in.

TYTO-01 worked the first time, perfectly. It doesn't provide nagivation-specific outputs like brake, reverse, or VSS but I installed a bypass so it wasn't a big deal; I wasn't planning on installing a camera anyway.

To me, looking at this objectively there are only two choices in the market:

-TYTO-01 if you're doing stereo-only or are planning on using a bypass kit and don't care about reverse camera.
-Beat Sonic's SLA-82AAD if you want all the outputs.

Also worth noting that the TYTO-01 (and theoretically the ADBOX1) manipulate the digital fade and balance settings on the amp based on the four channel inputs from the radio. To the best of my knowledge, the SLA-82AAD does not.

Please keep in mind that i am not a car audio professional and my experience is limited to the 2005 Lexus RX330 without factory navigation, without Bluetooth, and without Mark Levinson. YMMV.
Old 07-04-14, 05:48 PM
Shibumi1
Lexus Champion

Received 84 Likes on 60 Posts

Nice work...make sure to use a chassis ground with the aswc...they tend to lose programming when not grounded properly
Old 10-16-14, 07:22 PM
KirLexus
Driver School Candidate

I tried the TYTO-01 on my 2004 RX330 and fade does not work.
Anyone able to get fade to work?