Wifi Reception/Interference: Stumped

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-14, 06:19 AM
underwoj
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wifi Reception/Interference: Stumped

Hi all,
I have been stumped by a problem with my 2005 ES 330, and I need some expert help. I apologize if this is in the forum somewhere else, but I haven't been able to find it. I would greatly appreciate any help in figuring out the problem and any potential solutions.

Issue: Wifi signal is almost eliminated inside the Lexus. (I use my laptop and phone in my car, and where I work has wifi everywhere)

Why I believe it is my car specifically: My wife's Honda CRV, as well as coworker vehicles, can be in the same location and on the same phone or laptop receive full bars.

Background/Misc: The problem was there before, but it is possible that having my rear windshield replaced after a hailstorm made things worse. New devices in the vehicle could have also caused this, but I thought I should include all the facts. The issue was definitely there before, however, so these changes could not be solely responsible.

What I have "considered" so far:
1) My understanding is that this vehicle may use a diversity antenna, which may be in front//rear windshield. Possibly interference of some sort?
2) Perhaps there is some sort of shielding in this model which is blocking signals? I have not found evidence of this, but maybe some of you would know.
3)Tinting. Though my replaced rear windshield no longer has tinting, the door windows do. I don't know if it is metallic, but rolling down window and holding phone just outside = no improvement

Again, this is not a device specific problem. It is, however, a vehicle specific problem. Right now I use my iphone as a hotspot, and run my laptop off the 4GLTE. This costs a lot of money, however, and so I am desperate for another solution. Anyone who can help... thank you thank you thank you!

-JAU
2005 Lexus ES 330 w/ premium sound 6-disc (not ML)