Change your own Lexus Personalized Settings (LPS) with Carista app for Android

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-14, 09:24 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Carista
Hold your horses guys
It's looking good - we can communicate with the ECUs very stably, and the diagnostics part is almost done. Still looking into how to do customizations. A lot of the Toyotas that we're testing on don't support any customizations, so that slows us down. But it's coming soon. I think we'll have a prototype available for download that can do diagnostics within a few days. The older protocol is proving a lot less unified than the newer one (CAN) that we already support... so there is a lot of custom configuration we need to do per type of ECU and maybe even per model.
It's alright, just work on one Lexus customization for now. Lexus RX300 of course!
Old 07-02-14, 04:31 PM
draco
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks for the update Carista. Fingers crossed on the customisations. Also sent PM.

It's alright, just work on one Lexus customization for now. Lexus RX300 of course!
No, no definately customisation sofr 2005 Lexus RX330 first. The rest can, well, follow
Old 07-07-14, 08:42 AM
Carista
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Guys, I have some bad news for you pre-CAN Lexus owners. We hit a major road block with the implementation of customizations: the ELM327 chip is not able to initialize the communication with most Toyota/Lexus ECUs correctly. In other words, due to a non-standard initialization sequence that Toyota uses, the ELM chip cannot talk to them. Pretty much the only ECUs that use standard initialization are the OBD2 ones (engine, transmission, hybrid module, etc.) and the SRS airbag module. Everything else seems to use this non-standard initialization. This includes all the ECUs that control customizations, such as the "body", the "air conditioning", the "parking assist" and other chassis ECUs.

The ELM327 v2.0 and newer chips may actually be able to do it, but I haven't found a commercially-available Bluetooth device that uses ELM327 v2.0 or newer. There are some that claim to, but according to the reviews on Amazon, they don't.

So it looks like support for older models is halted for now. Sorry to disappoint. It's a hardware incompatibility of the ELM327 chip, not an issue with Carista's implementation.

We'll keep trying to find ways to do it, including talking to hardware manufacturers to see if they can incorporate a newer version of the ELM327 chip into their devices. But as it stands right now, our support for Lexus/Toyota/Scion will remain limited to the newer models that use the CAN protocol, i.e. the ones listed here: http://www.caristaapp.com/supported-vehicles/
Old 07-07-14, 12:20 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

That stinks, I was looking forward to it! May have to buy the techstream now.

Thanks for trying!! Hopefully there will be advancements made with the ELM chip to help support this.
Old 07-07-14, 04:33 PM
draco
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Dammit!! I was so looking forward to this. Thanks for the effort put in so far. It's a disappointment that's for sure. Will probably now go with the techstream too as it should work with my 2005 RX.

Hopefully there are further advancements down the road, but for now looks like us older owners will have to find other means.
Old 07-08-14, 07:42 PM
Rickna
Racer

Received 231 Likes on 160 Posts

Disappointing to hear, I appreciate your trying.
Old 07-08-14, 09:53 PM
MikeFoxx
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I was all excited to change some settings... and then i kept reading lol... nothing for my year womp womp womp...
Old 07-11-14, 10:27 AM
Carista
Former Sponsor

Yeah, I know. I was excited too. That would have more than doubled our target market and been of good use to a lot of you guys here.

I'll keep trying to get a hold of an ELM327 v2.1 device and we'll see what happens. But there don't seem to be any available right now.
Old 10-23-14, 03:54 AM
Lutkis
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Any update on this regarding the older model support?
2GS support would be nice.
Old 10-23-14, 09:39 AM
Carista
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Lutkis
Any update on this regarding the older model support?
2GS support would be nice.
Look a few posts up - we determined that it cannot be done with ELM327 v1.4. There may be a possibility to do it with v2.1, but there don't seem to exist any real v2.1 devices with Bluetooth out there. There are devices that claim to be v2.1, but are not really.
Old 10-31-14, 10:35 AM
Carista
Former Sponsor

Wanna disable seat belt warnings? Our new version 2.2 can do it Check it out on Google Play Store (link in my signature).
Old 03-01-15, 10:12 PM
Reg84
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Carista
Wanna disable seat belt warnings? Our new version 2.2 can do it Check it out on Google Play Store (link in my signature).
I tried using your app but it doesn't work 100%. I got a 2013 GS350 Fsport, i manged to connect the OBD device to my phone but it only allows me to "check faults" when i click on "customize" it prompts me that my OBD II device is faulty.

Do u suggest tat i get another ELM 327?

This is what i got: https://www.wish.com/geek/m/c/546af55290c7760a4b1ce8b9
Old 03-05-15, 04:43 AM
Carista
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Reg84
I tried using your app but it doesn't work 100%. I got a 2013 GS350 Fsport, i manged to connect the OBD device to my phone but it only allows me to "check faults" when i click on "customize" it prompts me that my OBD II device is faulty.

Do u suggest tat i get another ELM 327?

This is what i got: https://www.wish.com/geek/m/c/546af55290c7760a4b1ce8b9
Well, if the app detected that it's bad, then it must be. We added a check for faulty ELM327 devices in the latest version of Carista (2.2.1) exactly for this reason: that the market has recently been flooded with bad devices. In the US, we recommend the BAFX device that we link to from our web site, but in other countries, it's tough to say, sorry.
Old 04-29-15, 04:54 PM
Masters101
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Please help 2007 Lexus GX-470

Hello. When will I be able to use your app on my car? From several forums I have read, there are thousands of GX -470 owners that are waiting for support.

Thank you so much. Your company seems like a awesome company.
Old 04-30-15, 01:02 AM
Carista
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Masters101
Hello. When will I be able to use your app on my car? From several forums I have read, there are thousands of GX -470 owners that are waiting for support.

Thank you so much. Your company seems like a awesome company.
Sorry, but only 2009+ (2nd gen) GX models are supported. It doesn't look likely that we'll be able to add support for the 1st gen GX any time soon due to its incompatibility with the standard ELM327 hardware that our app uses. We may find a different hardware solution in the long run, but for now, don't hold your breath.

Quick Reply: Change your own Lexus Personalized Settings (LPS) with Carista app for Android