Sponsored by:

can some of you audio gurus help me my sc300

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-14, 08:25 PM
IneednSC
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default can some of you audio gurus help me my sc300

I have all of my interior out of my sc300 so i figured i should update the audio all the speakers, amp, woofer, and head unit but im lost because there is so much to look at. I dont want trunk rattling bass just enough to sound nice ane clear, what kind of head unit should i get? I really want something with an aux in it i really dont need blue tooth, rear back up camera all that stuff. Whats the best brand to get on a budget for head unit speakers and woofer? I have read the diys for installing everything just need help on getting everything
Old 03-11-14, 09:40 PM
shahir18
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Headunit: Pioneer, Alpine, or Clarion
Old 03-12-14, 06:22 AM
IneednSC
Driver

Originally Posted by "that boy"
Headunit: Pioneer, Alpine, or Clarion
Should i go all jl speakers?
Old 03-12-14, 06:38 AM
shahir18
Instructor

Originally Posted by IneednSC
Should i go all jl speakers?
lol, I am not a fan of JL... I would say first set yourself a budget, then try to listen to various brands, and research

http://fhrxstudios.com.au/faq.asp#0
Old 03-12-14, 07:01 AM
2GSKaizen
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree Completely with "that boy." All three brands of head units he mentioned can be had for a good price, function well, and have very good "tunability." JL makes some pretty clean sounding subwoofers for the money, but I think their car speakers are overpriced for the sound. Listen to a bunch of different speakers, see what sounds good to you. Everybody hears things just a little different. I would just stay away from the Sony Xplode, Dual, and all other super cheap crap you see at Best Buy. I personally have had very good luck in my past audio installations using lesser heard of brands like Audiobahn speakers and subs. They are very very inexpensive, but seem to offer pretty decent (not great) performance for the money. You will find out very quickly that the limiting factor in our cars is the head units, not the speakers. I would wire up a head unit first, then evaluate to see if you want to even spend the time and money doing speakers. I'm not sure how crazy of a system you are trying to put together, but do some research, take it one step at a time.
Old 03-12-14, 08:39 AM
IneednSC
Driver

Originally Posted by 2GSKaizen
I agree Completely with "that boy." All three brands of head units he mentioned can be had for a good price, function well, and have very good "tunability." JL makes some pretty clean sounding subwoofers for the money, but I think their car speakers are overpriced for the sound. Listen to a bunch of different speakers, see what sounds good to you. Everybody hears things just a little different. I would just stay away from the Sony Xplode, Dual, and all other super cheap crap you see at Best Buy. I personally have had very good luck in my past audio installations using lesser heard of brands like Audiobahn speakers and subs. They are very very inexpensive, but seem to offer pretty decent (not great) performance for the money. You will find out very quickly that the limiting factor in our cars is the head units, not the speakers. I would wire up a head unit first, then evaluate to see if you want to even spend the time and money doing speakers. I'm not sure how crazy of a system you are trying to put together, but do some research, take it one step at a time.
Not looking to get anything extreme just something updated but i will focus on a head unit first, i think my passenger side speaker is blown other wise i would keep them all....now i was reading a new head unit is not just plug n play that you need a metrs kit or something. At work so i will look this stuff up later
Old 03-12-14, 10:29 AM
shahir18
Instructor

SonicElectronix.com and Crutchfield.com will be a good place to look at headunits, they also provide free tech service and guides...
Old 03-12-14, 03:14 PM
chrcrou26
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

What products you look at should all depend on total budget and what you Kind of sound ur looking for...so describe what it you want...personally I want to feel like I'm at a concert in my car lol
Old 03-13-14, 04:00 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 252 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by IneednSC
Not looking to get anything extreme just something updated but i will focus on a head unit first, i think my passenger side speaker is blown other wise i would keep them all....now i was reading a new head unit is not just plug n play that you need a metrs kit or something. At work so i will look this stuff up later
You don't necessarily need a metra interface harness. A best buy installer installed a Kenwood double-din in my 00 LS400 without an interface harness and without cutting any wires - used spades to plug the Kenwood's harness into the OEM connectors in the car. Used the car's Nak amp and all the original speakers including the subwoofer. All sounds and works great.

I wouldn't blow off getting Bluetooth - it nice not to have to plug into an aux-in.
Old 03-15-14, 05:47 PM
chrcrou26
Driver

He did more then just butterfly the wires....especially with a nak amped stock system there are resistors involved to keep the amp functional with a aftermarket HU....not a novice job at best plus personally not knocking the engineering but mark Levinson systems are very easily surpassed by aftermarket products....plus ur stock amp can catch a pretty penny online to recoup what ever you spend on ur new gear so it's a win win to swap out the stock stuff that's overpriced and difficult to work with.....ie bose and monsoon systems....same concept
Old 03-15-14, 08:29 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 252 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by chrcrou26
He did more then just butterfly the wires....especially with a nak amped stock system there are resistors involved to keep the amp functional with a aftermarket HU
Interesting, I was wondering how he how he made the Nak amp work with the Kenwood. I didn't see any external resisters when I popped the Kenwood DDX470 out to reroute the aux-in cable - just the Kenwood's wires going directly into the OEM connector leading to the Nak amp. Could he have opened up the Kenwood and modded it? He sure had the Kenwood on his work bench for a long time but I couldn't see what he was doing to it from the waiting room. The installer seemed familiar with Lexus audio systems and drives an LS430.

A point I was trying to make is that the OP might find features useful in the future even if he doesn't plan to use them now. I used to think that Bluetooth wasn't very important but that's the only way I stream audio from my phone now. I didn't get a backup camera but it's nice to know that I got a head unit that supports one and that I can add a camera for only $30.
Old 03-15-14, 09:48 PM
chrcrou26
Driver

I agree with not skimping on the HU....The good thing now a days though is almost all the double dins out there now come ready to do pretty much whatever you want....just need the correct adapters to link into existing systems on new cars steering wheel controls microphones ect...Some cars are more of a pain then others....but yea always helps to have future mods in mind
Old 03-15-14, 09:54 PM
chrcrou26
Driver

Also the resistors could be placed in a couple different places either modding the unit itself or on stock amps themselves I personally opted for completely after market....double din touch RE 6.5's and tweeters all around on a 700 watt 4 channel amp and two 12's on a 600 watt mono.....All zero gauge....big 3 all zero gauge....220 amp alternator.....it screams lol
Old 03-15-14, 09:56 PM
chrcrou26
Driver

Soon to be 4 12's in a fiberglass enclosure in the spare tire well....got two babies so I need my trunk back too lol