Sponsored by:

Autotoys Dash Kit

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-03, 07:18 AM
shaneheber
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AutoTOYS dash kit

Here is a kit abought from them and modified the pocket to fit a Crossover eq.
The only problem i had for installing this kit was if you look at the top left coroner, the kit fits really tight, probably could have taking off a little for a better fit.. But what the heck anything is better than nothing!
Attached Thumbnails Autotoys Dash Kit-radio-006.jpg  
Old 03-13-03, 08:12 AM
sld
Driver

I see what ya mean, but overall I think it looks great! The alpine looks like it fits pretty nice. I assume theres no problems taking the face off or the swing mech?

Also, I see you didn't bother trying to paint it to match the climate control face. I'm not gonna either, b/c it looks like it will match the vents above.
Old 03-13-03, 11:00 AM
mumbles
Lexus Test Driver

Lightbulb Suggestion...

I was just thinking that since most of you are having a hard time getting the color to match between the stereo surround and the A/C panel, why not pull out the A/C panel, tape off the buttons & LCD, and have them spray that as well? That way, the two panels would match, but they are still far enough away from the piece on the center console and at a different angle from the ashtray that nobody would ever notice... unless you painted them blue or something Of course you could always get real **** and pull the ashtray and the center console too...
Old 03-13-03, 03:27 PM
fierce gs
Pole Position

Maybe I could help you guys out with the colormatch. Ive only sprayed a few panels so far myself, so I dont consider my work in this area perfect or incredible, but each time it comes out better. Ive always used to take my work to a pro to get it sprayed, but for small jobs like this, it is just way to costly. Therefore Ive started doing it myself.

If theres enough of you, you could all just send me your panels and I will spray them for you. For everyone thats interested I could go ahead and ship you a sample piece of how it will look before you go ahead and do it. My finals are comming up next week, so after that I will go ahead and spray a few more practice panels to get this down even better and try to match the color even better even though its already a really good match.

If there is someone else on this board that has lots of experience behind this and wants to do this instead of me, you could take over this yourself. Just putting this up as an idea.

Any of you interested? Also, how much have some of you spent on just the colormatch? Ive gotten quotes between $60-$120. Obviously with a group buy type of thing this would come out way cheaper.

Heres the last piece ive colormatched:
normal lighting:

bright light and viewed at an angle that shows the colormatch at its worst:

-Allen
Old 03-20-03, 03:18 PM
ChronoJ1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anythihng for SC?
Those universal toyota kits are so ugly...
I'm days away from stereo upgrade, but i'm afraid what my console is going to look like with my 1 din alpine reciever...
Old 03-26-03, 05:33 PM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

had kit 4 a while just got it installed and got car back today. paint looks off more in the pic cus of the flash than in person, its near a perfect match in color.
Attached Thumbnails Autotoys Dash Kit-music-007a.jpg  
Old 03-26-03, 05:34 PM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

another
Attached Thumbnails Autotoys Dash Kit-music-008a.jpg  
Old 03-26-03, 07:05 PM
sld
Driver

Nice!

Was yours a little wide? I can't tell. What head unit do ya have?
Old 03-26-03, 07:11 PM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by sld
Nice!

Was yours a little wide? I can't tell. What head unit do ya have?
that i c it does look a tad wider than the upper level of the console but the guy said he had no problem installing it..........i have the Clarion vrx935vd
Old 03-26-03, 11:39 PM
DoubleWhoosh
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Ok, we sold out of these kits super fast, but we have these kits in stock again...$17.50 delivered for registered CL members! 30 bucks is too much holy smokes!

www.tmengineering.net
Old 03-27-03, 07:45 AM
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum
Senior Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

And to think that the so called "experts" at Metra and Scosche originally said there was "no market" for them.

Percy
Old 03-27-03, 10:36 AM
DoubleWhoosh
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Amazing huh!

Hm maybe we should do a group buy on these...you think there's any interest???
Old 03-27-03, 11:56 AM
Percy
Senior Moderator

I'd say there would be high interest. It's starting to get warmer and people are working on their cars. Good timing if you ask me.

Percy
Old 03-28-03, 12:31 PM
damon
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Lexus Audio Improvements

Love the idea of a group buy , but I want someone to push the envelope a little further. Okay, a lot further.

I would think that there would be quite a bit of interest in a stem to stern improvement in Audio Performance for many Lexus models.

Along these lines, can one of our residing Car Audio Professionals design a system that starts at the dash installation , includes a quality Head Unit, has the wiring & adapter installation issues already solved & includes speaker / amp recommendations.

I believe that CL members would pay & support a quality solution.

damon
Old 03-28-03, 01:00 PM
Percy
Senior Moderator

Damon,

Great idea, but there are a few things.

1. There are already LOTS of different recommendations on amps, speakers, etc. All you have to do is to do a search on them. Lots of reading.

2. Define "quality solution". This is very broad! My most important question is "What is your system goal"? With that in mind, not all are looking for JL subs or high end Brax amps. Can't really do a "one size fits all" due to all of the different goals. Some are into the audio and video aspect, while others are just into the audio. Even with audio only, the choices are numerous.

3. Wiring/adapter issues. With the stock HU, this opens up a bag of worms. Aftermarket is a bit easier.

The choices in the audio systems alone would look like a flowchart that starts off easy and might turn into a nightmare!

Percy

Quick Reply: Autotoys Dash Kit