Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Best Component Speakers? Audison? Hertz?

Old 03-18-17, 01:39 PM
jungleX
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can understand why people spend so much on their car sound system. For me, I'd rather spend it on my home sound system. I've invested on the best speakers and amp I could afford, and be able to relax and appreciate the music I play (at the optimum spot) without divided attention ( driving).
Old 04-04-17, 05:52 AM
RyanRogen
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Even though Hertz is not the well known company as some other brands ,Still it has great products . I am using Hertz HSK 2-way Hi-Energy and I love it . In it, you will find two-way speakers with big 6.5 inches and tweeter and remote crossover controls.The power is decent 250 Watts peak and 125 Watts of RMS which is enough. It has an impedance of 4 Ohms which means it can play wide arrange of high and low sounds and with good construction it will deliver clear sound and precise bass.
Old 08-22-17, 05:55 PM
natman
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by RyanRogen
Even though Hertz is not the well known company as some other brands ,Still it has great products . I am using Hertz HSK 2-way Hi-Energy and I love it . In it, you will find two-way speakers with big 6.5 inches and tweeter and remote crossover controls.The power is decent 250 Watts peak and 125 Watts of RMS which is enough. It has an impedance of 4 Ohms which means it can play wide arrange of high and low sounds and with good construction it will deliver clear sound and precise bass.
Sorry, but having a 4 ohm impedance means no such thing. Almost all automotive speakers are 4 ohm and their ability to play high and low sounds varies widely.
Old 10-01-18, 01:06 AM
Clanta
Driver School Candidate

I apologize for bumping this old topic, but I have done quite a bit of research on this, so I want to share my experience.
The install, not the speakers would have a bigger impact on how much bass & clarity you get out of your speakers, meaning:
- Solid mounting via speaker rings.
- Application of a CLD (dynamat, stinger roadkill) on the outer skin, inner skin can help too.
- Amplification with clean power to avoid clipping.
- Diffusers behind drivers, such as dynaxorb.
- Speakers wired in phase (not one side back to front).

if what you want is clarity and bass without an amp. I don't think you'll be able to achieve that, maybe during softer volumes but deff not during loud instances. If you are running the speakers straight from your head unit. It'll start distorting because your head unit wasn't meant to be powering speakers or subs. I mean, no doubt it can but amplifiers were made specifically to give power to speakers and subs, leaving the head unit alone to go about its business .

I suggest Rockford Fosgate https://10carbest.com/best-car-speakers Its not the cheapest but definitely one of the best in car audio . Im using the matching amplifier for it , giving it the right amount of power . the gain on the amplifier is only set on half . my headunits volume can only go to 30 and with this set up
i can blast it to 25 , and it still attains CRISP sound with BASS . no distortion what so ever.I like watching a video on YouTube on such topics, I'll leave you one of them here, I hope it will useful to someone
Old 10-10-18, 10:43 AM
Amish
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I've owned many comps over the years but back in 2005 I discovered a brand called CDT Audio and since 2005 I have purchased 4 sets of comps and their upstage kits. Best speakers I have listened to in a car ever. The clarity and punch from their 6.5" speakers are just blissful.
I should add that all of my CDT comps are still being used and running beautifully. One set is over 13 years old and still going strong. I only buy their Gold edition speakers which have a 10 year warranty too. Very good stuff.
Old 10-13-18, 05:08 PM
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Speakers for ultimate accuracy and sound QUALITY, Dynaudio ESOTAR2, bar none. Even the ESOTEC lineup is quite outstanding. Speakers should be upgraded FIRST, then HU, then the amp.

Fosgate? They've gone down the tubes since the time I've known them in the 1990s. Ultimate amplification, if you can get one modded, would be the McIntosh car audio amplifiers. They don't make them anymore and command quite a premium.
Old 10-18-18, 05:32 AM
ALL4SPL
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Focal is still high quality, Hybrid Audio is the new KING of SQ just look at any of the champs in the SQ competition circuit. I used all Focal Access line mids and highs in my 17 ES audio upgrade with a mosconi 4to6 DSP because most of our cars LEXUS cannot have head unit upgrades unless you are willing to have a ton of custom work done. That being said, a personal tune is key, I have spent around 12 hours tuning my car, not all at once as I made adjustments and then drove for a while and rinse and repeat.

But overall its personal preference really, what sounds good to one person may sound horrible to the next. However I do agree a lot of the brands that are known have gone down hill, MB Quart is now garbage, ADS is long gone and many others. Hertz has an issue with fakes, as in ebay is LOADED with them. So if you are going for Hertz please do yourself the favor and buy from an authorized dealer.

Take a sample of your favorite music and go to a few different shops and listen to what you are looking at buying, YES a demo wall will not sound like a car, but you can at least hear differences and see what you like vs don't like before just blindly buying a brand based on other opinions and reviews.
Old 10-18-18, 11:13 AM
Amish
Rookie

Originally Posted by Percy
Speakers for ultimate accuracy and sound QUALITY, Dynaudio ESOTAR2, bar none. Even the ESOTEC lineup is quite outstanding. Speakers should be upgraded FIRST, then HU, then the amp.

Fosgate? They've gone down the tubes since the time I've known them in the 1990s. Ultimate amplification, if you can get one modded, would be the McIntosh car audio amplifiers. They don't make them anymore and command quite a premium.
Dynaudio is my second choice for best car speakers. I ran them years ago and switched from them to CDT Audio.

Old 10-27-18, 04:13 PM
Ozzzzy
Intermediate

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm so glad everyone can agree on the best product .......NOT!!!!
Old 10-29-18, 09:37 AM
Amish
Rookie

Originally Posted by Ozzzzy
I'm so glad everyone can agree on the best product .......NOT!!!!
What do you expect? You thought everyone would like the exact same brand? hahaha
Old 11-16-18, 02:43 PM
Lex Luga
Lexus Test Driver

Wow it's been years since I had my GS and had that super sweet sound system. Haven't been on CL in ages, but I hopped on since I was feeling nostalgic. Damn I miss that gs and the epic sound system. Perfect daily driver (besides the fact it was underpowered). When the time comes and funds are at a satisfactory level, I will get another system built in my daily driver. Question is what car.

But real question, is hybrid audio more expensive than dynaudio? I remember dyn systems at astronomical prices...like prices of new accords or camrys
Old 11-30-18, 07:32 AM
meccan0ble
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Lex Luga
Wow it's been years since I had my GS and had that super sweet sound system. Haven't been on CL in ages, but I hopped on since I was feeling nostalgic. Damn I miss that gs and the epic sound system. Perfect daily driver (besides the fact it was underpowered). When the time comes and funds are at a satisfactory level, I will get another system built in my daily driver. Question is what car.

But real question, is hybrid audio more expensive than dynaudio? I remember dyn systems at astronomical prices...like prices of new accords or camrys
Dyn's like all other speakers have levels but even the basic level is pricey. You pay for what you get. Sound is subjective because ears are subjective. If you never heard a set of Dyn's, you would think Best Buy Pioneers were amazing. Of all the speakers I owned, Dyn's were my best sounding and also most expensive. But they were also my only 3 way. I currently have cheaper PHD Components and Helix Components and they sound good enough. The other thing to consider when getting opinions is installs. A weak set of speakers can sound great with proper deadening and locations along with tuning and power while the best speakers can sound crappy with some of these things missing.

Regarding the person preferring to invest in home audio over car audio. I agree but also remember not everyone has a man cave or the privacy to get a set of high end speakers they can use at volumes they prefer. For some of us, our cars are our man cave, our private space to yell or blast what we want as loud as we want. Speakers are also interchangeable so you can pull out of your current car and transfer to the next.
Old 12-02-18, 02:49 PM
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ALL4SPL
Focal is still high quality, Hybrid Audio is the new KING of SQ just look at any of the champs in the SQ competition circuit. I used all Focal Access line mids and highs in my 17 ES audio upgrade with a mosconi 4to6 DSP because most of our cars LEXUS cannot have head unit upgrades unless you are willing to have a ton of custom work done. That being said, a personal tune is key, I have spent around 12 hours tuning my car, not all at once as I made adjustments and then drove for a while and rinse and repeat.

But overall its personal preference really, what sounds good to one person may sound horrible to the next. However I do agree a lot of the brands that are known have gone down hill, MB Quart is now garbage, ADS is long gone and many others. Hertz has an issue with fakes, as in ebay is LOADED with them. So if you are going for Hertz please do yourself the favor and buy from an authorized dealer.

Take a sample of your favorite music and go to a few different shops and listen to what you are looking at buying, YES a demo wall will not sound like a car, but you can at least hear differences and see what you like vs don't like before just blindly buying a brand based on other opinions and reviews.
In the very small real of autosound competition, Hybrid Audio MAY be the "king of SQ", but that title was often switched about depending on the sponsors. I've seen MBQ use similar jargon in the mid 1990s, JL Audio, Fosgate, Rainbow Audio, etc. Just for grins and giggles, I took a look at the H.A. site and noticed that their FR graph is the plain, run of the mill graph. No MLSSA waterfall? None of the measuring equipment by Bruel and Kjaer? Dynaudio will have the real deal published for ALL their car audio speakers, including the waterfall plots. Even the famed Rainbow Audio (Reference speakers) wouldn't release their FR graphs, much less the waterfall plots due to a very nasty tweeter resonance that had to be "patchworked" out using "traps" in their crossover design which messed around with overall timing of the music.

Has Focal improved any? Their hard dome tweeters, inverted Berylium IIRC, didn't fare too well due to the "high-ish tin can" resonating that hard domes (aluminum, titaniun, etc) are known to produce. Also, one of the autosound IASCA competitors used to use Focal but their glue for the inverted tweeters was just horrible for auto usage. The last fad that speaker manufacturers were going for - ceramic mids and ceramic tweeters, both of which were quite difficult to tame without a complex xover network to trap the resonant energy.

Took a look at the Mosconi DSP that you're using. Just wish they had a better Channel Sep number than 75 at 1Khz. I used to run an Alpine ERA-G320, a processor which I though was "OK", not great, which a channel sep in the 80s at 1Khz. I pulled that unit out for a McIntosh MEN456/MEQ452 highly modified combo. At least that was better with a channel sep in the low 90s. Had to swap out the filter caps for Black Gate capacitors, op amps were swapped for high spec Analog Devices, lots of work but very rewarding. Even the McIntosh amps that I had for car audio were modded. (MC4000M, MC443M, MC440M)

What are you using to tune out your car? Single mic sampling or quad mic? I used to use the Bruel and Kjaer setup with a cal'd 1khz reference 94 dBA level for pre measurement. During measurement I fed the Bruel and Kjaer mic into an old school BK2209, which by the way, still has THE fastest impulse response time on the market. Even their new $100,000 packages are struggling to match what the 2209 did back in the mid 1970s. From the 2209 the signal was fed into a fairly powerful laptop which had the RTA in the form of software. Resolution of the RTA was 1/22,000 of an octave. Yes, ONE BAR per frequency from 0 hz to 22,000 hz. The gear that I used for tuning wasn't your run of the mill 1/3rd octave analyzer. Some of the kids would brag about how "good" their frequency response was on a 1/3rd octave RTA but the 1/22,000 was BRUTAL and their egos were quickly deep sixed. But they did learn that their tuning could be better and worked with the info which resulted in better SQ.