Sponsored by:

couple of basic aftermarket head unit questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-14, 11:41 AM
mulasien
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default couple of basic aftermarket head unit questions

Yes, I've searched, but having trouble finding the specific answers I'm looking for.

I have an 05 GS300 with the stock Pioneer system. No ML and no Nav.

I want to get an aftermarket head unit with bluetooth, iPod dock, etc.

I went to one stereo shop, which stated that I'd have to bypass the factory amp, but have to get a whole new amp and set of speakers to work with it, smells like BS to me.

Another stereo shop also said that I'd have to bypass the factory amp, but nothing about replacing everything else.

Question: I believe that many newer head units have an amp built in. Will most newer ones be able to accommodate all of my stock GS's speakers and sound fine, or do I need to get a new amplifier as well? How many speakers are in the stock system, is it 6 plus the subwoofer?

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-07-14, 01:16 PM
Debonair
iModerate

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by mulasien
Question: I believe that many newer head units have an amp built in. Will most newer ones be able to accommodate all of my stock GS's speakers and sound fine, or do I need to get a new amplifier as well? How many speakers are in the stock system, is it 6 plus the subwoofer?
Just about all aftermarket head units have a built in amp. Any that do not go out of their way to say they don't.

Will your GS sound fine running off the head unit power only? "Fine" is subjective but I will say no. Plus the head units amp will be designed for 4 speakers only. I personally would get a 5 channel amp or a 4 channel and separate sub amp.

There may be a way to use the factory amp with an anftermarket head unit too. Look through the ★ 2GS FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) and DIY Thread ★.

The 2GS has 6 speakers, or 7 with the center channel, plus the subwoofer. The front tweeters, if being replaced, are generally run inline with the door speaker so you would count them as one making it 4 speakers + subwoofer. I don't think the center channel will be used by most basic head units.

Last edited by Debonair; 08-07-14 at 01:20 PM.
Old 08-07-14, 02:36 PM
mulasien
Rookie

Thanks for the response. Sounds like it wouldn't work out very well unless I was fine with it sounding like crap.

I'm not knowledgeable enough to attempt the install (or splicing it to work with the factory amp) myself, I'd have a reputable stereo shop do it.

From what you're saying, sounds like replacing the amp as well as the head unit would be my best bet? I'll try another well known shop in town and see if they try to BS me on replacing every audio component in my car like the last place did.
Old 08-07-14, 03:34 PM
Debonair
iModerate

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Its not as uncommon as you would think for people to run all new wiring to all four doors when upgrading to new speakers and adding a head unit and subwoofer. Back in 1999 when I worked at a car stereo shop we did this all the time.

This allows the vehicle owner to bypass all the factory amps and leave all the other factory components in place so they can hook it all back up if they sell the car and want to remove their upgraded equipment.

I have zero personal knowledge about doing this on the 2GS since I decided to stick with the factory navigation and speakers in my car. This is why I suggest reading the threads from people that have done it.
Old 08-08-14, 08:01 AM
Alphaman19
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

From my own experience with my on GS, once you change the head unit, you're on the road to changing everything else. If you get a new amp your factory (2ohm) speakers won't be able to keep up with it. It'll sound ok, as long as you don't really crank up the tunes, at which point you'll begin to hear your speakers cry uncle.
Old 08-08-14, 08:05 AM
mulasien
Rookie

Originally Posted by Alphaman19
From my own experience with my on GS, once you change the head unit, you're on the road to changing everything else. If you get a new amp your factory (2ohm) speakers won't be able to keep up with it. It'll sound ok, as long as you don't really crank up the tunes, at which point you'll begin to hear your speakers cry uncle.
Good point.

It's still way overkill for what I want to do, which is basically just add bluetooth and an iPod/iPhone dock to my car.

I might have to look at a Grom unit instead. Speaking of which, is this the one I want to get? Do I need to get the iPod cable assembly plus the lightning port adapter as well?

http://www.gromaudio.com/store/usb_a...interface.html

I'll either do something like that or save up to do it all at once.