Sponsored by:

Alarm instead of start

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-14, 02:17 PM
AdamJJ
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alarm instead of start

Alright, I own a 1992 lexus sc400. Recently my car has needed to have a new alternator replaced, we got the part replaced it, well in the process of removing it from the bottom of the car something triggered the alarm to non-stop go off, and immedietly went and disconnected the battery terminals so the sound would stop to work in peace, thinking you know the car may of thought someone was trying to break into it. this is now a problem for me now that my new alternator is put back in. So I go to unlock my door and when i move the key to the unlock position the alarm buzzes for a second. I cant do anything in my car without it going off for a second such as use any electric seats, electronically lock doors. The one main thing that happens is when i insert the key into the ignition, immeditely without turning the key the alarm sounds until i take it out of the ignintion, the car wont even attempt to try to start up. So I read the car manual and lone behold that's no help and for some reason I cannot get the alarm to reset and the starter to kick in. So i call a mechanic and he tells me to turn the key to the lock position and hold it for 12 seconds, and then let it come back to the position you insert the key and then hold the key at the unlock button for 12 and try to start it, and that doesnt work, and im now stuck at this position like Does anybody have any ideas, it'd be greatly appriceated.

Thanks,
Adam
Old 03-12-14, 03:41 PM
chrcrou26
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm assuming you disconnected the battery entirely while changing the alternator right? If not you could have shorted numerous fuses possibly you ecu really any computer in the car...
Old 03-12-14, 03:42 PM
chrcrou26
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

In a nut she'll you possibly discharged 14 volts into ur electrical system no Buenos
Old 11-30-14, 02:16 AM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

This is one reason some people should not try to do it yourself. I'd like to know what happened with this one, like how much you didn't save doing this alternator change yourself.

Never work on anything electrical without first disconnecting the battery and if you have an alarm make sure the door's unlocked, and the ignition switch is off and key is out on all electronic cars.