Sponsored by:

replacement head unit recommendations - yes, I've searched

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-14, 09:49 AM
mulasien
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default replacement head unit recommendations - yes, I've searched

Did a pretty decent search, having trouble finding exactly what I'm looking for.

I have an 04 ES330 with the stock stereo, no steering wheel controls.

I want to be able to sync my iPhone with both bluetooth and maybe USB plug in if I want direct cable streaming. If I already had an AUX port, this would be a moot point, but I don't .

Priorities are:
- high quality bluetooth streaming for music and phone calls, along with easy pairing
- room to upgrade other components of the stereo over time (better speakers, subwoofer, etc), but that will come later
- it needs to look decent, not feel cheap (some head units I've been looking at have been said to have a cheap plastic feel)

What is not important:
- super fancy high end screens. If I can read it, it will do.
- don't need Navigation functions. My iPhone is mounted where it is in view, it acts as my Nav unit screen
- I don't need a remote to control the stereo. That's of no value to me.
- don't care about satellite radio

In my searching, I found the thread below, but the HU in question is way beyond overkill for what I want to do.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es3...o-install.html

Basically, it needs to be a quality unit that retains CD functionality, and provide high quality, reliable streaming from my phone for both calls and music, that will also allow me to upgrade the other stereo components over time. That's about it.

In my research, I have found some Alpine, Pioneer, and Kenwood units that all seem to be pretty similar in functionality, but I'm not knowledgeable enough to know which is better than the other.

Some examples of what I've been looking at:

Pioneer DEH-80PRS
Amazon.com: Pioneer DEH-80PRS Mobile CD Receiver with 3-Way Active Crossover Network, Auto EQ and Auto Time Alignment: Car Electronics Amazon.com: Pioneer DEH-80PRS Mobile CD Receiver with 3-Way Active Crossover Network, Auto EQ and Auto Time Alignment: Car Electronics

Alpiine CDE-HD138BT
Amazon.com: CDE-HD138BT - Alpine Single-DIN CD/MP3, Built-in HD Tuner Receiver with Bluetooth and Sirius XM Ready: Car Electronics Amazon.com: CDE-HD138BT - Alpine Single-DIN CD/MP3, Built-in HD Tuner Receiver with Bluetooth and Sirius XM Ready: Car Electronics

Alpine CDE-147BT
http://www.alpine-usa.com/product/view/cde-147bt

Still looking for double DIN units that fit what I'm looking for.

I'm fine with either single or double DIN. I'll be getting a custom cabinet that will fit whatever I decide on.

I'll be having a local professional stereo shop do the install for me.

Based on that, any recommendations that you experts would point to? Much thanks.

Last edited by mulasien; 01-02-14 at 09:54 AM.
Old 01-02-14, 06:41 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 252 Likes on 199 Posts

So ... obviously you bought your ES at Hendrick Lexus in Merriam not far from where I live.

It may be a little more expensive that what you are looking for but take a look at the following post about the $498 (including installation and all parts) double-DIN Kenwood DDX470 I had installed a few months ago in my 2000 LS400: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/8219167-post329.html

The DDX470 seems to get excellent reviews and is the least expensive Kenwood double-DIN that has Bluetooth audio streaming. I didn't want nav and it doesn't have it. I'd rather use my Gamin for both navigation and hands free phone. The XM tuner is a $49 option - I didn't want it, don't like XM and never use it in our Prius. The DDX470 has hands free phone capability but I've never tried it.

I've got a flash memory with lots of music attached to the Kenwood's USB cable but I rarely use it since I have the same music stored on my Samsung Galaxy S3 phone. I've tested but haven't used the 3.5mm cable attached to the Kenwood. The Kenwood's Bluetooth audio streaming works great with my Samsung phone so I've never bothered with the cabled aux-in.

My understanding is that an additional adapter is needed for an iPhone but that's only if you want to display album covers or videos from the iPhone on the Kenwood's screen.

The DDX470 also plays DVD movies - got one in it for fun and to show other people but I don't watch movies while in a car. I've played a CD just once on the Kenwood but my entire music collection is on my phone so I'm not going to bother with it.

FM reception is excellent using the OEM radio antenna imprinted on the rear window. The Kenwood has 18 FM presents and multiple "seek" modes. It doesn't have HD radio but I don't think I can appreciate the better sound in a moving car.

I stream from Pandora to the Kenwood via Bluetooth A LOT. I often stream audio from other services - especially Tunein - but have to control that from my phone - very handy to have my phone mounted by the radio to make that easy and safe.

A remote control for the Kenwood is available for about $20. I might buy one at some point just for fun.

I could tell you some local audio stores in Johnson County to avoid - I moved here 40 years ago after getting out of the military - but I won't discuss that on a public forum.

I couldn't be more happy with the work that installer "Brad M' at the Best Buy on Quivera Rd. did. I know my way around car audio and Brad is the best installer I've ever encountered - and the only installer I've let touch one of my cars since 1978!

Last edited by Kansas; 01-02-14 at 06:53 PM.
Old 01-02-14, 06:51 PM
mulasien
Rookie

I did indeed get my Lexus at Hendrick in Merriam. Got a heckuva deal as well. If you don't mind, send me a private message about the installers to avoid.

The Kenwood is at the high-end of my price range including install price, but I may give it a look. I especially like how there is a physical **** for volume versus a touchscreen so I don't have to take my eyes off the road to adjust it. Sounds silly but that's really important to me since I do not have steering well controls.
Old 01-03-14, 04:02 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

I've decided not to tell you which audio shops I didn't like -- my experiences are from a LONG time ago so things may have changed.

My opinion is that the single-DIN units you are considering don't look very well in any Lexus. I hate to say that they look cheap and more fit for a Camaro or Mustang. On a practical note, the controls seem awfully smooshed together in a small space.

A double like the Kenwood provides large on-screen touch sensitive "virtual buttons". I prefer physical buttons that I can use without taking my eyes off the road but large virtual buttons aren't that bad.

The physical volume **** was very important to me. I didn't consider any units that didn't have one. A nice feature of the Kenwood is that its volume **** has an "attenuation" feature. Press the **** quickly and the volume partially mutes ... reduces the volume to perhaps 15%.

Most important is to buy what you like..
Old 01-03-14, 06:45 AM
mulasien
Rookie

Originally Posted by Kansas
I've decided not to tell you which audio shops I didn't like -- my experiences are from a LONG time ago so things may have changed.

My opinion is that the single-DIN units you are considering don't look very well in any Lexus. I hate to say that they look cheap and more fit for a Camaro or Mustang. On a practical note, the controls seem awfully smooshed together in a small space.

A double like the Kenwood provides large on-screen touch sensitive "virtual buttons". I prefer physical buttons that I can use without taking my eyes off the road but large virtual buttons aren't that bad.

The physical volume **** was very important to me. I didn't consider any units that didn't have one. A nice feature of the Kenwood is that its volume **** has an "attenuation" feature. Press the **** quickly and the volume partially mutes ... reduces the volume to perhaps 15%.

Most important is to buy what you like..
I'm starting to agree that Double DIN will be the way to go, looks wise. Oddly enough there appears to be fewer non-touchscreen choices in double din units. Weird.

My pops recommended National Auto Sound in Independence for an install, another friend recommend Sante Fe Auto Sound in Overland Park. I'll probably swing by both places to check them out. I'll keep Brad at Best Buy in mind as well (but like you, the thought of having Best Buy touch my car gives me shivers!).
Old 01-03-14, 05:01 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mulasien
I'm starting to agree that Double DIN will be the way to go, looks wise. Oddly enough there appears to be fewer non-touchscreen choices in double din units. Weird.

My pops recommended National Auto Sound in Independence for an install, another friend recommend Sante Fe Auto Sound in Overland Park. I'll probably swing by both places to check them out. I'll keep Brad at Best Buy in mind as well (but like you, the thought of having Best Buy touch my car gives me shivers!).
Per your PM, here is the diagram for the standard single CD audio system for the 2004 ES330 from the ARRC website. Let me know if you have a different system.
Attached Files
Old 01-14-14, 09:21 AM
rlx101
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

xnv 660BT from sony

200$ used on ebay, you get : TOMTOM GPS, Radio RDS, touch screen, bluetooth phone integration and rear view camera. No-brainer IMO!

install it yourself, it takes 1hr tops! very easy to put into our cars. + sell your 6CD changer for 150-200$ on ebay and you get this unit for little$.