Sponsored by:

Worthless Navigation

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-10, 12:58 PM
slimjimtel
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Worthless Navigation

I'm not here to beat up on the Lexus Brand nor do I dislike it. I actually feel it is of the best automobiles made today in it's price point. We bought the RX because of it's high quality and it fit our family needs.

What I do want to speak up to and warn future would be purchasers is the worthless navigation system that Lexus charges a premium price for in their cars.

After two 500 mile trips, this navigation system still cannot find a correct route. A 5 hour drive I have done countless times and have tried every route possible to shorten it over the years, Lexus nave shows 3 routes that took in excess of 7 hours. When I saw them, I was like...you have to be kidding, this thing was taking me SO far out of the way to get there. I knew because I have taken those routes before and know the time it would take, it was out of the way.

At this point, I started changing preferences, routes and every back end feature to get another route. Nothing, same directions.

We all know about the lockout feature when the wheels start moving so I won't even beat that horse today.

this is a 2010 car and has the new Enform, kind of cool, but Lexus has added this to make money on yearly fees. Here is how...

You cannot use the voice system to find "Starbucks" while the car is moving. It will on the other hand let you say "coffee house"...yet you only get maybe 2 options when there are 30 coffee shops in a 2 square mile radius.

If you want a "Starbucks" you have to use the Enform, get a person on the line and ask for the nearest starbucks...you MUST pay for a yearly subscription. See, this is how they get you.

The system is extremely cumbersome to use and is very SLOW

I have reverted back to using my Garmin. What a well crafted intuitive, easy to use GPS. Why can't auto makers go out and spend $100 and buy a garmin and utilize the simplicity of these units. They ARE more accurate, easier and just plain better.

In Summary

I wish I would have NEVER bought the NAV and will be writing Lexus regarding it.
Buy a garmin, it's a heck of a value compared to the waste that is in the Lexus.
The Garmin will get you there faster...don't leave home without it.

Last edited by slimjimtel; 09-16-10 at 01:22 PM.
Old 09-16-10, 01:09 PM
LZMF1
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have to agree with you there. my garmin nuvi blows away the nav system in my GX
Old 09-16-10, 01:14 PM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

yea the lexus navi is terrible. i did a route to staten island a few months ago and i know it takes me about an hour 45 mins to get there. all 3 routes were approx 2 1/2 to 3 hours. not to mention the system is so slow that by the time it says your at the turn you need to make, your already 200 ft past that road.
Old 09-16-10, 01:25 PM
slimjimtel
Lead Lap

Here is another one Garmin has over the Lexus...

Lifetime map updates...one super low price!
Old 09-16-10, 01:57 PM
Blueshark
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

One sad fact is the zipcode ability of Lexus navi, none. I have a Garmin in the glove compartment in case for emergency, the irony.
Old 09-16-10, 02:27 PM
slimjimtel
Lead Lap

How about this one...

Garmin- downloadable POI's like traffic cams!
Lexus- None
Old 09-17-10, 09:39 AM
LZMF1
Pole Position

Originally Posted by slimjimtel
Here is another one Garmin has over the Lexus...

Lifetime map updates...one super low price!
hell yeah! i jumped on that when i found out about it! my garmin has been with me on trips to florida, virginia, pennsylvania, missouri, vermont, new york, nevada and a few other states. love that thing
Old 09-17-10, 12:42 PM
neojungle1
Lexus Test Driver

i use my nextar a little slow on boot up and finding satellite but ,once up and running its a blast ,live traffic reports(with option to reroute for you) it happen once when i was heading to south jersey it rerouted a construction site on the road and it knock out almost 20 min off my trip,
oh in Florida i had my father in law had his Magellan so I place them head to head from Orlando to Miami and ever time my spoke turn by turn his responded like 20 sec later it was funny as hell but after a day it got annoying

Last edited by neojungle1; 09-17-10 at 12:48 PM.
Old 09-20-10, 01:14 PM
offroad200
Instructor

Received 160 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by IXI187IXI
yea the lexus navi is terrible. i did a route to staten island a few months ago and i know it takes me about an hour 45 mins to get there. all 3 routes were approx 2 1/2 to 3 hours. not to mention the system is so slow that by the time it says your at the turn you need to make, your already 200 ft past that road.
Can't you change the speed of the roads in the settings? I know you can on GEN 5 systems. That changes how long it calculates the trip to be.
Old 09-21-10, 12:14 AM
355F1
Racer

Received 596 Likes on 382 Posts

Originally Posted by offroad200
Can't you change the speed of the roads in the settings? I know you can on GEN 5 systems. That changes how long it calculates the trip to be.
Yes you can.

However, I must agree with the OP's opinion--but for a different reason.

I spend most of my time servicing clients in small towns all over the PNW. In a town of 18,000+ people the nav does NOT fuc***** work in my 2010 IS!!!

It says that the route guidance can't tell me how to get to my destination. It pulls up all the destinations but once it cuts out there is a little blue arrow pointing to the general direction of my destination. What's really retarded is that when I do find my way and reach the destination it ironically tells me "You have arrived at your destination"--that pisses me off even more than the fact that I paid over $2k for this worthless option.
Old 09-21-10, 06:42 PM
slimjimtel
Lead Lap

Ok, I'm going to say it again

Garmin knows the speed of the roads...Lexus Nav does not

I have to tell the Lexus Nav what the speed is???

How do you do this??
Old 03-04-11, 11:07 PM
willdogg
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I'll admit that factory integrated nav/backup camera built-in systems LOOK great. I had a factory Infiniti GPS in my 2007 QX56. But the software for the factory Infiniti GPS was brutal. It didn't have touchscreen (used a joystick), didn't have a QWERTY keyboard (had an alphabetical keyboard-who uses that?!), it had to be stopped or in park to be used (which for safety reasons, I understand), etc.

So when our lease on the QX ended, we bought an 04 RX330 without nav, whew! Glad we passed on the factory nav.

Yeah, an aftermarket GPS can look cumbersome sitting on a dashboard, but in terms of features, an $159 aftermarket GPS easily blows the $2K (or whatever they charge) Lexus Factory Nav. Don't get me started on their $130 annual software updates. I'll take a $159 Garmin any day.

Lexus OEM Nav fans [ducking] flame away!

Last edited by willdogg; 03-10-11 at 11:54 PM.
Old 03-05-11, 12:11 AM
txposse
Driver School Candidate

The lexus nav has added countless hours to trips I have had to make. The nav likes to take the driver on the scenic "I don't have to be anywhere route." The nav likes to take the driver by historical sites, whether you want to see them or not. My kids and I humor the nav and we have seen many courthouses we would have missed!! I am 40 holding and the nav led us to the Florida capitol building at 2 a.m. where I was propositioned by a 17 yr old...I think it was the car!!!
Old 03-10-11, 12:00 PM
Klamalama
Pit Crew

Received 103 Likes on 60 Posts

I have to say that I am disappointed in the navi in my new-to-me RX350. I just came from a BMW X3 with a Garmin Nuvi. I also have a BMW 330i with iDrive. The Garmin and iDrive are both easier to operate, and more accurate. My biggest beef is the lack iPhone directory transfers on the RX. I won't even go into the nanny restrictions. Now, if BMW could only have the build quality of Lexus, it would be a perfect world.

Oh, and I want a manual transmission in the RX!
Old 03-10-11, 10:07 PM
xsh0tya
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good to know... I def will pass on the navi option when I buy a new car this summer. I used to sell garmins in a former life and I know we always told people that the navi from the factory just doesnt compare and the price is not even laughable.

Quick Reply: Worthless Navigation