Sponsored by:

Poor Satellite Radio Signal

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-13, 07:03 AM
ClaireS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Poor Satellite Radio Signal

I have a 2013 RX 450h with the Premium (not ML) sound system, which includes Satellite Radio.

I've noticed that I lose the signal from satellite radio a lot more now than I did in my old car (a BMW). For example, on a road that I travel often, I used to lose signal in just one or two spots. With the Lexus I seem to experience signal loss in several more places on the same road.

Is there anything that can be done to boost/improve reception for XM? It's getting pretty annoying.
Old 07-29-13, 11:57 AM
Robert_J
Lead Lap

Which technology does your new radio use? XM or Sirius? Are the locations that you lose the signal the same all of the time?

I ask this because XM uses a pair of geosynchronous satellites over the equator. If something is between you and the southern sky them it is very likely that you have an XM system and there is no repeater nearby.

If the location changes then you probably Sirius. They have a web of satellites that orbit the globe and 2 or 3 are visible to the CONUS at any one time.

What can be done? Virtually nothing. You can't buy a larger antenna. You can't add a booster. You can learn where the signal drops happen and avoid them. I don't drive on the north side of a building when a song I like is playing.
Old 07-30-13, 01:33 PM
wavenel
Driver School Candidate

Default Poor Satellite Radio Reception

This is very discouraging. I don't lose the signal on any other vehicle. Just passing under a tree will cause it to go out.

I don't think it's the actual satellite. I had my wife drive a specified route - and I followed her. We each had our radios set to the same XM channel. She lost the signal 11 times, I lost the signal zero times.

It's really discouraging to know that my new "luxury" SUV can't get as good a reception as my Ford Ranger Pick-up
Old 07-31-13, 05:42 PM
Tarrant64
Pole Position

FYI. you're not the only one. I've been dealing with that since I got my IS350. I had a Ford Fusion before, never had these issues. I think it's a Lexus issue and we're not the only ones either.
Old 08-02-13, 09:02 AM
ClaireS
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. Based on the responses I'm reading, it appears it might be a combination of Sirius having better signal (my BMW did have Sirius, while the Lexus has XM), and the quality of reception in the Lexus.

I would be willing to accept some difference between the two systems, but the fact that there is no ability to boost the signal is discouraging.
Old 08-05-13, 01:49 PM
SiriusXM
Driver School Candidate

Default SiriusXM Help

Hi everyone-

Would you please send us an email with your contact information (name, phone number and if you have, your account number) to SXM_Help@siriusxm.com, so we can reach out to you to see what might be causing the signal to drop out.

Thanks,
SiriusXM Digital Care Team
Old 08-20-13, 11:28 AM
wavenel
Driver School Candidate

Default Poor XM Reception - An Update

I was advised by Lexus "headquarter" to bring my RX350 for inspection. Rather than inspect, they demonstrated taht all models have lousy reception. Their explanation "operates as manufactured". They also explained that XM has only one satellite, thus the bad reception.

Not true. Honda also uses XM, I get zero interruptions on my CRV.

I then was contacted by SiriusXM - they noticed these posts - and have been trying to help me resolve the problem. They said that there are actually FOUR XM satellites, three Sirisus satellites.
They pointed back to Lexus. Evidently, Lexus doesn't install XM-Branded radios, they use some other satellite capable brand. An XM-Branded radio is guaranteed to work.

But, Lexus won't accept any responsibility, they ignore requests for furhter help, they want me to go away.

If I had to do it all over, I'd get the Mercedes GLK. All the features and functions are the same, the only real difference is the radio reception. I spend lots of time on the road (10K miles in just 3 months) and rely on the radio.
Old 08-21-13, 12:05 PM
Robert_J
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by wavenel
I was advised by Lexus "headquarter" to bring my RX350 for inspection. Rather than inspect, they demonstrated taht all models have lousy reception. Their explanation "operates as manufactured". They also explained that XM has only one satellite, thus the bad reception.

Not true. Honda also uses XM, I get zero interruptions on my CRV.

I then was contacted by SiriusXM - they noticed these posts - and have been trying to help me resolve the problem. They said that there are actually FOUR XM satellites, three Sirisus satellites.
They pointed back to Lexus. Evidently, Lexus doesn't install XM-Branded radios, they use some other satellite capable brand. An XM-Branded radio is guaranteed to work.

But, Lexus won't accept any responsibility, they ignore requests for furhter help, they want me to go away.

If I had to do it all over, I'd get the Mercedes GLK. All the features and functions are the same, the only real difference is the radio reception. I spend lots of time on the road (10K miles in just 3 months) and rely on the radio.
XM has 2 functioning satellites - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XM_Satellite_Radio Read the first paragraph under Technology.

Sirius uses a completely different technology - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sirius_Satellite_Radio
Old 12-22-13, 10:33 AM
fdunbar
Driver School Candidate

I have a 2010 Lexus ES350, with Mark Levinson Radio and Ultra package. Probably 50 - 75% of the time, my XM radio says, "NO SIGNAL". I have had the signal reset by XM three times and brought the car to the dealership in Portland, ME. The radio worked when I had them check it out, but stopped soon after. I drove from Maine to Florida and the radio worked for a couple of hours, then went to NO SIGNAL. Sometimes the radio goes on but soon goes off again. I called Lexus 800 number and all the help I got was to bring it into the dealer here in Florida and see if they can fix it. I will be bringing it in approximately a week or two from now. There are two antennas on the car. One is on the roof and the other on the trunk. I was told by one of the dealers the one on the trunk was because the antenna did not work well on the glass roof. Anyone have any ideas. Florida is flat so there is nothing blocking the signal.

Last edited by fdunbar; 12-22-13 at 02:17 PM.