Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Should I go with 15's or 12's for my SC

Old 03-20-01, 12:18 AM
sc505
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello I was wondering what would be better 2 15's or 12's. I am planning of flush mounting the woofers in a sealed enclosure, taking out the spare tire. . But i just wanted to get peoples opinion on what would u do.

I currently have 1 punch 1000dba1 1000w@2ohms or 500w@4ohms which i plan to use to power the subs. Now i am faced with the delima of choosing 2 15" ecplise Aluminum single voice coil or 2 12" Eclipse Dual voice ALum. What is better 2 or 4 ohms setup for my 1 channel Amp. I have choosen eclipse because from reading news boards that it's the most accurate 15 out there. ALso if I do run 2 15's SVC @ a 2 ohm load will this be a safe set up??
Old 03-21-01, 05:27 AM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question System Goals?

SC - What are your system goals ( SQ or SPL ) & tastes in music? Let us know these details & we'll get the best info we know back to ya because it REALLY makes a difference! BTW - Eclipse isn't the most accurate sub available. Velodyne's servo-controlled system is #1. It takes some feedback to the servo system to properly yield accuracy & their's is the only TRUE servo system I'm aware of. Kicker & JL are working on similar subs & Mark Eldridge ( USAC/IASCA World champion ) has some in his 4-Runner.
Old 03-23-01, 02:27 AM
sc505
Driver School Candidate

Gene my goals are to get as Spl with SQ. I know it makes no sense But I went ahead and looked at Velodyne. Damn, they are expensive !! They also look like house speakers. SO, I went ahead and ordered the eclipse 15 svc. Thanks anyways.
Old 03-23-01, 07:50 AM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Question Which Eclipse Subs?

SC - About the amp load, it depends on which subs U ordered as to how to best run that RF sub amp. For max power ( assuming the subs can handle it ), wire the RF into a 2 ohm mono load. It may increase your chances of noise in the system, although. A 1 ohm stereo load will make the same power ( in theory ) but the signal will be cleaner, though usually not a problem with an SPL setup. What impedence R the woofers? BTW - it IS possible to have a SQ/SPL system ( I do ) but it's a compromise of both.
Old 03-23-01, 08:36 AM
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

They're expensive due to the workmanship and design of the overall system. Their aluminum cone probably weighs half as much as the Alumapro due to their complex curve (bell curve) that Velodyne is using. No other sub in the world can match the Velodyne in terms of accuracy and extremely low levels of 2nd, 3rd and 4th as well as Intermodulation distortion. In this case, you get what you pay for.

House speakers? I've seen some REALLY nice looking house speakers...

Percy
SQ Overkill. GS400
Krell McIntosh Dynaudio Velodyne Monster M Series Sony ES Optima Deflex

Originally posted by sc505
Gene my goals are to get as Spl with SQ. I know it makes no sense But I went ahead and looked at Velodyne. Damn, they are expensive !! They also look like house speakers. SO, I went ahead and ordered the eclipse 15 svc. Thanks anyways.
Old 03-27-01, 05:10 AM
sc505
Driver School Candidate

Default thanks.. WILL I need a separate battery?

Thanks for the good info Mean Gene. The eclipse SVC 15's are 4 ohms each. They stereo guy tells me that he will wire it so that it will be a 2 ohm load (500w going to each). I'm also getting a Punch G600a4 amp and a Phoenix Gold 1.2 Faret cap. The G600a4 amp is rated @ 75x4 @4ohms. Now I'm now worried that will all this power getting sucked out battery. Is it neccessary to have a separate battery? Or can I do with out it, knowing that it will shorten my battery life (obviously) After all the SC is power everything.
Old 03-27-01, 06:42 AM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Wink Separate Battery

SC - The only good thing an extra battery gives U is the ability to play the system longer w/o the car running. It actually places a greater load on your alternator & will wear IT out faster ( $500 to replace! ) because it's now trying to charge 2 batteries instead of one! Even though I have a trunk mounted battery dedicated to my system, I'm pushing in excess of 3000 watts ( competition system ) so I'm not taking chances. With just the two amps U have, the factory alternator ( 110 amp ) will be OK but U might want to step up to an Optima Yellow Top battery, especially if your old one's getting weak. Unless U play the system for long periods with the car off or REALLY jam it when running, I don't see the need to add an additional battery.
Old 03-30-01, 02:14 AM
sc505
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs up THANKS :)

Hey Mean Gene Thanks for Replying to the extra battery question. I'm about to get my system next week. Good thing you pointed out the alternator thing, I wasn't even thinking about that I think I'll take your advice and not install a 2nd battery. The stereo shop will have my car for about a week. SO, I'll post some pics of my install soon as I get it. I saw the link that you provided with the your GS400 stereo pics. NICE-NICE

One last question. I know you probably already answered this question. What are the speaker sizes for the front and back that will fit in 96 sc400 without making modifications ??

THANKS
Old 03-30-01, 05:11 PM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Question Not Sure

SC - Never tore down the doors of an SC so I'm not sure but I feel comfortable in saying that a 6.5" woofer would fit in there by using a spacer like in the GS doors. Not sure of the mounting depth so at least a 5.25" should go, especially since the SC has those crappy 4" speakers from the factory. About the alternator - my first system had about the same amperage draw as you're gonna have & I only had the one engine-compartment mounted battery but i did upgrade to an Optima as a margin of safety. Might want to check out the post before this one about door speaker sizes as well. Looking forward to the pics!