Sponsored by:

Do not bother with Vais Tech multimedia units for our cars

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-13, 10:14 AM
dvzzz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Do not bother with Vais Tech multimedia units for our cars

Now, few folks follow up on previous reviews, but I will. 2.5 years into the life of the Vais Tech VML product, here are my thoughts on Multimedia Linq line of products and Vais Tech in general. In short do not bother with their units:
One of their top guys did say to me openly "don't you worry, this unit is modular and upgradable for a long while" BUT here is the truth after I sank $390 into the unit:
1) they stop supporting firmware for within 12-18 months, so you have a deadend product very quickly
2) they do not add any new features but rather push you to buy "new and upgraded" hardware to get any new features that others typically offer to you for free as a sw update (think smartphones and tablets)
3) no trade-in programs, so you have obsolete hardware within 12 months, to be fair it plays music you just cannot add new and interesting features to it, to me it is obsolete, if it is not programmable then it is deadend
4) they do not like to add support for open-souce formats like ogg or ALAC even though both are free, FLAC it is if you want lossless or WAV with no tagging...
5) Their support gets condescending quickly with you and says "You do not buy 2010 car and expect it to have 2013 features, actually Lexus does add features to their MultiMedia units and so does Honda and MB.

All in all, I am hugely disappointed, I bought their products for 7 years and was a happy beta tester for them but this time with regrets I must say, Vais Tech took a wrong term and their customer care is not where it used to be. My recommendation is DO NOT BUY.
Old 05-22-13, 01:57 PM
VaisTech
Club Lexus Vendor

Originally Posted by dvzzz
Now, few folks follow up on previous reviews, but I will. 2.5 years into the life of the Vais Tech VML product, here are my thoughts on Multimedia Linq line of products and Vais Tech in general. In short do not bother with their units:
One of their top guys did say to me openly "don't you worry, this unit is modular and upgradable for a long while" BUT here is the truth after I sank $390 into the unit:
1) they stop supporting firmware for within 12-18 months, so you have a deadend product very quickly
2) they do not add any new features but rather push you to buy "new and upgraded" hardware to get any new features that others typically offer to you for free as a sw update (think smartphones and tablets)
3) no trade-in programs, so you have obsolete hardware within 12 months, to be fair it plays music you just cannot add new and interesting features to it, to me it is obsolete, if it is not programmable then it is deadend
4) they do not like to add support for open-souce formats like ogg or ALAC even though both are free, FLAC it is if you want lossless or WAV with no tagging...
5) Their support gets condescending quickly with you and says "You do not buy 2010 car and expect it to have 2013 features, actually Lexus does add features to their MultiMedia units and so does Honda and MB.

All in all, I am hugely disappointed, I bought their products for 7 years and was a happy beta tester for them but this time with regrets I must say, Vais Tech took a wrong term and their customer care is not where it used to be. My recommendation is DO NOT BUY.

Hi dyzz,

We appreciate your business and your reviews. And you should also inform CL members that you started this thread because your 4 years old product can't get functionality introduced by us in next generation unit this year. Please understand that VML platform has been discontinued in August of 2012 after being on the market for over 4 years. We have replaced it with MML and were able to add functionality like Internet Radio support. This wasn't even popular in 2006-2007 when VML was designed, and IC chips used in VML are not able to add functionality like this. You have purchased products over 4 years ago, and as much as we appreciate your business, it is not physically possible to add this functionality to the product designed 7 years ago.

Now regarding your points:

1. VML was first released in 2008, free updates were provided up until 2011 when VML peaked the functionality we could add to it. Product discontinued in 2012. 4 years life of the product.

2. Software feature can only be added to compatible hardware. VML has received features updates that its hardware could handle. Your desire to have Internet Radio in VML isn't physically possible.

3. Trade-in programs is something offered by car dealers, as cars have 20-25 years life. With Apple releasing new lines of products every year, it's hard for us to keep products current for more than 3-4 years. I haven't seen any electronics supplier to offer trade-in program either. Sometimes we do have deals going on for our loyal customers and clublexus members.

4. ALAC wasn't considered by us because there is no sufficient demand from the customers for this format. You have submitted your request, and it was considered at one our meetings, but it didn't make much sense to implement this because of the lack of demand from other customers.

5. The fact that you used VML since 2009 and haven't posted any negative reviews but actually posted a positive review is a compliment to our products. The reason you are upset right now is because you can't get MML Internet Radio support introduced by us in 2013 to your VML unit purchased in 2009. This would be the same thing as request Lexus to upgrade your 4th Gen navigation system to a 5th Gen navigation system. It is simply physically impossible as it is with the VML unit.

Thank you once again for your business and we are always here to answer your questions.
Old 05-22-13, 07:20 PM
dvzzz
Driver School Candidate

It is not the lack of features, it is a condescending (do not care, go pound sand) tone of the support member; period, end of story. This is not a negotiation tactic, I am not planning to buy another product from Vais Tech. Kudos to Eugene as always, he chimed in politely and stood up to the challenge and proved that he cares but things went South already too far.

Originally Posted by VaisTech
Hi dyzz,

We appreciate your business and your reviews. And you should also inform CL members that you started this thread because your 4 years old product can't get functionality introduced by us in next generation unit this year. Please understand that VML platform has been discontinued in August of 2012 after being on the market for over 4 years. We have replaced it with MML and were able to add functionality like Internet Radio support. This wasn't even popular in 2006-2007 when VML was designed, and IC chips used in VML are not able to add functionality like this. You have purchased products over 4 years ago, and as much as we appreciate your business, it is not physically possible to add this functionality to the product designed 7 years ago.

Now regarding your points:

1. VML was first released in 2008, free updates were provided up until 2011 when VML peaked the functionality we could add to it. Product discontinued in 2012. 4 years life of the product.

2. Software feature can only be added to compatible hardware. VML has received features updates that its hardware could handle. Your desire to have Internet Radio in VML isn't physically possible.

3. Trade-in programs is something offered by car dealers, as cars have 20-25 years life. With Apple releasing new lines of products every year, it's hard for us to keep products current for more than 3-4 years. I haven't seen any electronics supplier to offer trade-in program either. Sometimes we do have deals going on for our loyal customers and clublexus members.

4. ALAC wasn't considered by us because there is no sufficient demand from the customers for this format. You have submitted your request, and it was considered at one our meetings, but it didn't make much sense to implement this because of the lack of demand from other customers.

5. The fact that you used VML since 2009 and haven't posted any negative reviews but actually posted a positive review is a compliment to our products. The reason you are upset right now is because you can't get MML Internet Radio support introduced by us in 2013 to your VML unit purchased in 2009. This would be the same thing as request Lexus to upgrade your 4th Gen navigation system to a 5th Gen navigation system. It is simply physically impossible as it is with the VML unit.

Thank you once again for your business and we are always here to answer your questions.
Old 06-01-13, 11:44 PM
Spednsteve
Driver School Candidate

DVZZZ - I for one appreciate your comments. While I might still consider Vais Tech products, your comments should cause us consumers to be wary of a vendor and take a deeper look at their product, long-term support, etc. Unfortunately, there are too many experiences like yours where vendors make frequent design changes and do not fully consider a support/compatibility strategy for their past products/customers. Again, thank you
Old 06-02-13, 09:42 AM
DriftGirl
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

What cell phone do u use? Did you make a complaint when Apple introduces a new iphone or samsung intros a new Galaxy every year? My point being is this is a technology company that builds their product around an ever changing automotive market.

a "trade in" program? SERIOUSLY?! LoL!
Old 06-07-13, 12:00 AM
Whitena
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^^Couldn't agree more with DriftGirl. OP, you've gotta blame it on tech inventors, vaistech just have to keep up with the new tech feeds that keep on changing every now n then and there's limited to what they can do to old products.
Old 06-09-13, 12:27 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

next up, Toyota to offer airbag replacements to make old cars meet modern safety standards.....
Old 12-24-13, 04:27 PM
Bob04
Pole Position

Received 155 Likes on 115 Posts

I'm a little late to this party, but I'd like to add my experience.

I have used the MML in both my old and new LS430, and it has performed flawlessly. Absolutely love it. It is a well designed product that is worth every penny I paid for it. In fact, I bought it to use with my old 430 that didn't have the ML system. After a brief bad relationship with a 460, I'm back in a 430 with ML and Nav. I called, figuring I would have to buy something different to work with the 2 different system. I was very pleased to learn that I could use the same unit with the new car and ML\Nav system. Sure enough, it works perfectly.

Now, if Vaistech would make another unit that would do AD2P bluetooth streaming, I would be first in line to purchase it. It would be nice to ditch the wire and not have to plug in to play my tunes.
Old 05-03-14, 01:37 PM
Rickna
Racer

Received 231 Likes on 160 Posts

I too, would like to add my .02. I recently installed an SL3i in my 09 ISF. I had a couple of issues during install and VAIS tech support walked me through, with very little waiting. The unit performs exactly as it should. I have no regrets whatsoever.
Old 05-06-14, 09:04 PM
Schmexus
Lead Lap

I love my vaistech mml. It charges my phone and plays my music. Exactly what I wanted it to do. It can probably do more, but I haven't really looked into anything else.

It would be cool if I could watch videos from my phone on the nav screen, but I don't think that's possible?
Old 05-20-14, 05:40 PM
toyo
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Here are my issues. I have it for 2 months. I have only dealt with Eugene who so far has been very nice and patient. However, my patience has reached it's limit.

1. Once I select a song it will start playing for 5 seconds, then stops. I have to hit play again each time I play a song after the car is started.

2. It will either display the incorrect Artist or song, never do they match what is playing.

3. If I get a phone call while it is playing a song I can hear the music playing in the background thru my phone. The other party cannot hear it.

4. This might not be a malfunction of the SL3B but it's about to break the camel's back so to speak. If I am listening to music via the SL3B and say I switch to XM or the radio I do not get the alert tone or hear the phone ring. It's as if it's mutes my phone. I must turn the BT off on the phone for it to work properly. Even if I stop, turn the car off and my phone is on my seat and I get a phone call it is dead silent.

I have had numerous phone conversations with support. He suggested I delete all my playlists and rebuild them. I did, no change. He asked me to use another iPhone just like mine to see if it changes anything. I did, no change either.

Yes, I'm a little disappointed. I am going to request a new unit and see what happens.

Last edited by toyo; 05-20-14 at 06:20 PM.
Old 05-26-14, 03:33 PM
Supraristo
Lexus Test Driver

Before I bought the ML plus, I spoke in detail with vaistech. I explained in depth that my intentions were to mirror headrest monitors in my 07 gs350 and be able to play movies from my iPod. I was assured that this unit would do what I needed. $450 later, it doesn't do anything except play music and video to main unit only. I call vaistech, and explained. I was then told "oh, sorry someone gave you false information there's nothing we can do. Talk about a total waste of money! Total BS company that doesn't stand by they're product and employees that mislead just to make sales. I will NEVER ever buy vaistech products again and I will even tell others NOT to buy. Stick to Beatsonic! Better product and WAAAAAAY better customer service hands down!
Old 05-27-14, 05:32 PM
Shibumi1
Lexus Champion

Received 84 Likes on 60 Posts

Funny I found new and interesting ways to solve my problems... as of now the ivic wont work in my LS w ML (nonselfpark) so I found a new fix... I bought the Samsung allshare dongle an plugged it in as a 2nd video source via hdmi to component module to my ML+ an BOOM.. I now have wireless streaming to my oem screen.. whilst my buddies have to plug in...fyi split screen an all functions work. . Only downside is I have to control it from my phone rather than the oem screen but my S voice fixes that issue as well...
4yo product just updated. . U cant always see into the future but w/a lil common sense problems can be solved.. with the wifi market growing as fast as it is maybe Vaistech will jump on board soon w/a solution for all to be happy and connected... but so far so good in my eyes...
Old 05-27-14, 05:43 PM
Shibumi1
Lexus Champion

Received 84 Likes on 60 Posts

[Its UOT E=Supraristo;8553948]Before I bought the ML plus, I spoke in detail with vaistech. I explained in depth that my intentions were to mirror headrest monitors in my 07 gs350 and be able to play movies from my iPod. I was assured that this unit would do what I needed. $450 later, it doesn't do anything except play music and video to main unit only. I call vaistech, and explained. I was then told "oh, sorry someone gave you false information there's nothing we can do. Talk about a total waste of money! Total BS company that doesn't stand by they're product and employees that mislead just to make sales. I will NEVER ever buy vaistech products again and I will even tell others NOT to buy. Stick to Beatsonic! Better product and WAAAAAAY better customer service hands down![/QUOTE]

Why not just buy a video splitter ($29) and send the video signal from your ipod to the headrest screens? Same can be done w/the audio if the headrests have ir.. sounds like u need a more competent installer.
Its been my experience that no one product can sort out all of my personal needs, sometimes multiple products may be used to get the end result. it's thinking out of the box and sometimes spending more money to get what you want if you are picky and choosy as I am
Old 07-11-14, 11:27 AM
GS300OC
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Supraristo
Before I bought the ML plus, I spoke in detail with vaistech. I explained in depth that my intentions were to mirror headrest monitors in my 07 gs350 and be able to play movies from my iPod. I was assured that this unit would do what I needed. $450 later, it doesn't do anything except play music and video to main unit only. I call vaistech, and explained. I was then told "oh, sorry someone gave you false information there's nothing we can do. Talk about a total waste of money! Total BS company that doesn't stand by they're product and employees that mislead just to make sales. I will NEVER ever buy vaistech products again and I will even tell others NOT to buy. Stick to Beatsonic! Better product and WAAAAAAY better customer service hands down!
Their bad for overstating the capabilities of their product, but cut them some slack because you are using it outside of what it was designed to do (mirror headrests monitors.

Quick Reply: Do not bother with Vais Tech multimedia units for our cars