Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Is it possible to use the Nav Headunit on a LS400 w/ a different aftermarket amp?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-13, 08:02 AM
quixotic
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Is it possible to use the Nav Headunit on a LS400 w/ a different aftermarket amp?

Hi,

I've found the perfect LS400 (1999). Low miles, right color, mint inside & outside; etc...

The only problem is it doesn't have the Nakamichi, it has the ancient Nav unit instead.

The Nav unit controls the radio/cd/tape & here's the kicker, the climate control as well.

So I can't just remove the Nav and stick in an aftermarket head unit w/o losing controls for the climate control.

I know the Nakamichi head-unit can be fickle w/ aftermarket amps, but I don't know if the Pioneer Nav / Head-unit (at least I think it's a pioneer, I'm guessing here) has the same issue.

If I could buy the car and have a high quality amp & high quality speakers replace the old Pioneers I would have the perfect car. But, if I will end up w/ the more average standard "Lexus Premium Audio", the car is no longer ideal for me.

Since the primary reason I want a LS is a silent sound-stage for high fidelity audio (not loud, just low harmonic distortion; I listen to music at a normal or even low volume).

I searched the forums extensively and the only thing I could find relating to it was this thread from 2010 which is still unresolved.

Any input would be extremely appreciated.

p.s.

I'm also wondering (as an alternative)...

.. if like the previously linked to thread, the Nav unit could be removed, then replaced w/ climate controls from a salvage or off of eBay. & then a newer touchscreen head-unit w/ XM, bluetooth, iPod, etc.. functionality could be installed in tandem.

Last edited by quixotic; 04-19-13 at 08:13 AM.