Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

IS300 Rear Deck Speaker Wiring (4 wires per speaker???)

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-13, 06:17 AM
DT2JZLEX
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IS300 Rear Deck Speaker Wiring (4 wires per speaker???)

Ok, a couple of months ago I purchased a 2001 IS300. My cousin had the same one and his stock stereo system sounded great in my opinion, had good bass. When I get my car, the speakers sould like sheit, no bass, no nothing, just poor music. I noticed the speakers were aftermarket Pioneers, so I assumed they should sound better than stock. I removed the rear deck speakers to see if maybe they were wired wrong and noticed two pairs of speaker cables? Black, red, and gray and green, something like that on each side.

When I use the black and red only, I get bass. When I use the other two only, I get mids and highs. When I use all 4 cables and turn it up, the system shuts down. What am I doing wrong? What wires do I use, I want this to sound stock if not better, the speakers aren't bad, they are preetty good speakers but sound like crap! By the way, the stereo is stock.

Anybody know whats wrong?

Last edited by DT2JZLEX; 04-16-13 at 06:42 AM. Reason: better title
Old 04-16-13, 11:19 AM
DT2JZLEX
Driver School Candidate

All these views and nobody knows anything about this??

Last edited by DT2JZLEX; 04-16-13 at 11:19 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-16-13, 11:41 AM
DT2JZLEX
Driver School Candidate

Ok, after 2 days of searching, it seems like a pair of wires comes from the factory amplifier. Can I still use aftermarket speakers with my factory radio and amp? If so, how do I wire it?
Old 12-25-19, 08:39 AM
Is3Ulquior
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by DT2JZLEX
Ok, after 2 days of searching, it seems like a pair of wires comes from the factory amplifier. Can I still use aftermarket speakers with my factory radio and amp? If so, how do I wire it?
did you ever figure it out? Im stuck on the same scenario as you
Old 01-04-20, 08:36 PM
evernite
Driver School Candidate

The radio is set up so that the system is pushed by the factory amp thats behind the glovebox. You can use the Tyto-01 harness from metra on an aftermarket radio to get stock speakers working but I don't think you can mismatch the speakers and headunits. You either replace the headunit and keep the factory speakers and amp or replace the entire system and bypass the amp. This is not to say you probably couldn't source some speakers that meet the stock system criteria and this fix it for the time being. Your problem is basically though the pioneer speakers are 4 ohm the factory speakers are 2 ohm and they wont sound good until you get a matching set regardless. So, either replace the head unit and bypass the amp for the 4 ohm aftermarket speakers or replace the pioneer speakers with some stock speakers or some that are 2ohms and your problem should be fixed..
Old 01-04-20, 09:05 PM
Is3Ulquior
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by evernite
The radio is set up so that the system is pushed by the factory amp thats behind the glovebox. You can use the Tyto-01 harness from metra on an aftermarket radio to get stock speakers working but I don't think you can mismatch the speakers and headunits. You either replace the headunit and keep the factory speakers and amp or replace the entire system and bypass the amp. This is not to say you probably couldn't source some speakers that meet the stock system criteria and this fix it for the time being. Your problem is basically though the pioneer speakers are 4 ohm the factory speakers are 2 ohm and they wont sound good until you get a matching set regardless. So, either replace the head unit and bypass the amp for the 4 ohm aftermarket speakers or replace the pioneer speakers with some stock speakers or some that are 2ohms and your problem should be fixed..

Ok so I solved my issue on my own. The speakers i bought were 4 ohms 300 watts peak problem was wiring it into the factory harness. So i figured out how to dismantle my 6x9 aftermarket speakers and separate the lows from the highs. Problem was that the amp would push too much on the mids and highs. And the other 2 wires wouldnt push any lows. So i copied the stocks ran new speaker wires into the mids and highs into the speaker and wired the bass/lows to the factory amp wires. And it sounds amazing, way better than stock bumps pretty hard. Luckily when i took the 6x9 apart i was able to desolder it from eachother and run separate wires into the factory plug and plug it in.