Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Down firing sub enclosure. Anyone have any experience with one?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-13, 05:41 AM
305Busa
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Down firing sub enclosure. Anyone have any experience with one?

I think its about time to redo my system and saw one with a down firing sub. The owner said it sounds great and he did it to keep the sub protected from stuff in the trunk and also to hide it but I didn't get a change to hear it for myself. His system was in an LS460 as well so I figured he wouldn't have spent the money if there wasn't something there. I'd just like to know if anyone has any experience with this set up and would it sound any different than a rear facing sub. I'll be running a single 12" Pioneer TSW3002D4 which was 1 or 2 that I won at a local audio shop. Any help of pics would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-20-13, 10:46 AM
Robert_J
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd just like to know if anyone has any experience with this set up and would it sound any different than a rear facing sub.
No experience in the car environment but a lot in the home. Orientation of the driver makes no difference audibly. You may be able to measure a db or 2 with a meter but then again, that will change if you measure in different seats or even if you adjust the height of the seat.
Old 03-21-13, 06:58 AM
twistedman
Rookie

Originally Posted by 305Busa
I think its about time to redo my system and saw one with a down firing sub. The owner said it sounds great and he did it to keep the sub protected from stuff in the trunk and also to hide it but I didn't get a change to hear it for myself. His system was in an LS460 as well so I figured he wouldn't have spent the money if there wasn't something there. I'd just like to know if anyone has any experience with this set up and would it sound any different than a rear facing sub. I'll be running a single 12" Pioneer TSW3002D4 which was 1 or 2 that I won at a local audio shop. Any help of pics would be greatly appreciated.
Here's one that pioneer makes for a 12", does yours look similar? If your sub doesn't have a grill on the bottom, make sure it's 3-4 inches off the floor for sub excursion and you should be fine!!

Old 03-21-13, 08:36 AM
swtjlsy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the only problem is the bass needs to fill the trunk before it comes into the car. Most new lexus 06 and up have completely sealed trunks which traps the bass or sound inside the trunk. You need to make sure the sound can vent some how into the trunk
Old 03-21-13, 03:09 PM
Robert_J
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by swtjlsy
the only problem is the bass needs to fill the trunk before it comes into the car. Most new lexus 06 and up have completely sealed trunks which traps the bass or sound inside the trunk. You need to make sure the sound can vent some how into the trunk
That part is a car audio myth that has been dispelled for quite a while. The wavelengths of bass frequencies are longer than the size of the trunk.

As for the sealed trunks, that can be an issue with any environment. Bass, like all sounds, relies on vibrating air. Since the trunk is sealed, the air in the trunk can't "touch" the air in the cabin to pass along the vibrations. The air in the trunk vibrates things like the seat backs which pass along the vibrations to the air in the cabin. Same concept in the home if you have a sub in one room and you are listening in another or if you are listening to a car "thump" as it goes down the road. The low frequencies contain more energy and excite objects easier than the high frequencies. There's also resonant frequencies of materials and lot of other stuff that goes into this but hopefully you get the idea.
Old 03-22-13, 03:55 AM
305Busa
Instructor

Originally Posted by twistedman
Here's one that pioneer makes for a 12", does yours look similar? If your sub doesn't have a grill on the bottom, make sure it's 3-4 inches off the floor for sub excursion and you should be fine!!

I dont have an actual enclosure yet. I have the subs and wanted to try a down firing enclosure. The guy that built my last enclosure will be in town in the next 2 weeks on vacation, so I thought I'd put him to work.
Old 03-22-13, 03:57 AM
305Busa
Instructor

Originally Posted by swtjlsy
The factory sub in the middle of the rear deck was removed and some of the bass comes in thru there. And then the ski hole or as my wife calls it, the "purse retrieval hole" door was removed and covered in a mesh to allow a bit more to come in.
Old 03-22-13, 07:17 AM
twistedman
Rookie

Originally Posted by 305Busa
The factory sub in the middle of the rear deck was removed and some of the bass comes in thru there. And then the ski hole or as my wife calls it, the "purse retrieval hole" door was removed and covered in a mesh to allow a bit more to come in.
I still have my factory sub installed, and never open up the armrest compartment on the back seat and the bass comes through just fine!!! My wife always complains about disorientation, discomfort and a pain in her ear so the low frequencies are coming through without any issues !! Lol
Old 04-15-13, 03:32 AM
marcsis250
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

i found down firing sub enclosures work good in trucks or cars where there is no trunk. In a car with a trunk i believe it wont make that much of a difference unless you can keep the woofer as far into the tail light area.

I find that corner loading the woofer in that area yields suprising results. I would recommend you play with the postion of the woofer in your trunk and "find" the sweet spot.

good luck
Old 04-18-13, 11:20 PM
RobzKar
Lead Lap

I have 2 12" w3v3 jl audio subs firing down with a 2 1/2" space from the bottom in my 2is and it sounds better than firing them back. trust me ive done a lot of systems for my self and firing down sounds the best from my experience.. hope that helps.
Old 04-19-13, 05:11 PM
Slammer1
Lexus Test Driver

I had a pair of down firing subs in a GMC Sierra once and loved them. Unfortunately, when I went with bigger subs and more power the new subs wouldn't fit in the relatively shallow down firing box and I had to switch up my design. For what it's worth, try a down firing enclosure and see how you like it. Do move it around in the trunk before you decide you don't like it though. Placement can make a big difference.
Old 04-22-13, 09:50 PM
maxx430
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

interested to see how this sounds if you ever bit the bullet and get one installed.
Old 05-14-20, 06:28 AM
Koach77
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My bass sometimes becomes tight but when I roll down the windows it has full range of sound and response.