Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Pioneer AVH-P8400BH(2DIN) Installed in my Lexus ES 350!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-12, 09:47 AM
twistedman
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by delraylady
Also found on Amazon the Hercules auxiliary wide angle side-view mirrors. Most people gave these excellent reviews so guess I will try that.

These are $25 apiece and seem like they would work every bit as well as the rear view camera for $1000 at Lexus.

Also found some panoramic rear view mirrors, but haven't found one with consistently great reviews. So will see how the wide angle side-view mirrors work.

Actually, I do think this should all be STANDARD equipment in all cars, not just Lexus, as would make visibility so much better for all.

Excellent! Keep me posted!!!! My back up camera just arrived, my installer set a date for Jan 17, 2013.. So I'll post results as soons as install is complete..
Old 12-29-12, 09:50 AM
delraylady
Driver School Candidate

Smile Devices for blind spots

Great! Curious how you like your rear view camera. Looking forward to hear about your experience with it. thanks!
Old 12-29-12, 06:07 PM
twistedman
Rookie

Waiting for it to be installed!!! Install date is Jan 17th 2013.. When it's
Installed ill have pics and a YouTube vid.. My installer is back logged with work till then!
Sooo I have to wait!
Old 01-01-13, 10:19 AM
SICK350
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Your head unit install looks sweet!!! now I can't wait to get mine in. I also like the idea of keeping the steering wheel controls, especially since my steering wheel controls are bubbling up and I plan to replace them. do u have any pictures of the wiring? did u find a wire harness that works with our model? Keep up the good work.
Old 01-01-13, 01:01 PM
twistedman
Rookie

Originally Posted by SICK350
Your head unit install looks sweet!!! now I can't wait to get mine in. I also like the idea of keeping the steering wheel controls, especially since my steering wheel controls are bubbling up and I plan to replace them. do u have any pictures of the wiring? did u find a wire harness that works with our model? Keep up the good work.
Thanks Sick!!! Unfortunately I don't have any pics of wiring, but when I get the back up cam installed ill take some shots!!! I did get the harness from metra, but ill confirm everything when I go back to my installer.. FYI sound quality is now 3 times better in my car since this transition.. And I'm sure it will be the same for your ES 350!! It's all going to come down to the choice of HU. In my opinion Pioneer and Kenwood sound the best! Highs sound clean with no distortion and bass deep without bottoming out!
Old 01-02-13, 03:09 PM
jacobjohn
Driver

Great looking install. I want to pull the trigger and do this install as well, but my only concern is the fact that you have to sort-of look down to look at the HU. Did you notice this while you were driving and thought the same thing, or is it not that noticeable? Also, how much did they charge for the the install, if you don't mind me asking?
Old 01-02-13, 07:38 PM
twistedman
Rookie

Smile

Originally Posted by jacobjohn
Great looking install. I want to pull the trigger and do this install as well, but my only concern is the fact that you have to sort-of look down to look at the HU. Did you notice this while you were driving and thought the same thing, or is it not that noticeable? Also, how much did they charge for the the install, if you don't mind me asking?
To be honest with you I was thinking the same thing before I had anything done. But I use the navigation frequently and phone functions ie: searching through my phone book, or recent calls and have not had a problem. The HU is situated in a perfect spot where it's reachable, and easy to glance at when checking out your location on the map during navigation!

It's not noticeable! But be advised that no matter where it's mounted, taking your eyes off the road for too long will result in an accident, so be safe!!!

As far as price! I payed $525 for the headunit! And $70 for install. Wire harness was $100, retaining steering wheel control device was I believe 40-50 bucks.. My installer new what I needed and I said make it happen.. Dash kit cost $80 shipping included( from China) aliexpress.

Pull the trigger!!!! You won't regret it...
Old 01-02-13, 07:51 PM
Shibumi1
Lexus Champion

Received 84 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by delraylady
Great! Curious how you like your rear view camera. Looking forward to hear about your experience with it. thanks!
do u have factory navigation? i may be able to feed a camera signal into that screen which is much larger than 3.5" for well under $1000.. dealerships kill me with their pricing..
Old 01-02-13, 08:03 PM
jacobjohn
Driver

Originally Posted by twistedman
To be honest with you I was thinking the same thing before I had anything done. But I use the navigation frequently and phone functions ie: searching through my phone book, or recent calls and have not had a problem. The HU is situated in a perfect spot where it's reachable, and easy to glance at when checking out your location on the map during navigation!

It's not noticeable! But be advised that no matter where it's mounted, taking your eyes off the road for too long will result in an accident, so be safe!!!

As far as price! I payed $525 for the headunit! And $70 for install. Wire harness was $100, retaining steering wheel control device was I believe 40-50 bucks.. My installer new what I needed and I said make it happen.. Dash kit cost $80 shipping included( from China) aliexpress.

Pull the trigger!!!! You won't regret it...
Thanks for the info! I might as well do this since I tend to use my navigation on my phone a lot, since i don't have one in the car. And for 70 dollars for install is not bad at all! I was thinking about doing it myself if the cost of install was rediciously high...i guess it just depends on the installer. Ill look around and see what I can find. For about 850 bucks, this is a way better alternative than asking a lexus dealership to install an OEM one forsure!!
Old 01-02-13, 09:28 PM
twistedman
Rookie

Originally Posted by jacobjohn
Thanks for the info! I might as well do this since I tend to use my navigation on my phone a lot, since i don't have one in the car. And for 70 dollars for install is not bad at all! I was thinking about doing it myself if the cost of install was rediciously high...i guess it just depends on the installer. Ill look around and see what I can find. For about 850 bucks, this is a way better alternative than asking a lexus dealership to install an OEM one forsure!!
Trust me! The dealership wanted to charge me $3000.00 for the flyaudio unit! The lowest price I could get from a local installer was $1700.00 so when I saw that there was a double din kit available for the Es 350...... It was a done deal!!!
Old 01-03-13, 07:18 AM
SICK350
Lead Lap

So I've done some research and I'm pretty sure all I need to install the deck is a PAC-TATO Wiring kit and a PAC SWI-RC Unit to retain my steering controls, can anyone confirm this?
Old 01-03-13, 11:22 AM
twistedman
Rookie

So I've done some research and I'm pretty sure all I need to install the deck is a PAC-TATO Wiring kit and a PAC SWI-RC Unit to retain my steering controls, can anyone confirm this?
Heres what im using!!!

Steering Wheel controls..

Wiring harness!!!

METRA - 03-UP TOYOTA AMP INTERFACE

http://www.gentec-intl.com/print-pro...modelID=tyto01
Attached Thumbnails Pioneer AVH-P8400BH(2DIN) Installed in my Lexus ES 350!!!-2b9f8c0b-8945-413e-af2c-f72e1936f669-5109-000009de8adbafff.jpg  
Old 01-03-13, 11:44 AM
twistedman
Rookie

The factory amps are still being used for all my highs, and im still using my Cache cloc+d line out converter + line Driver for my JL Amp, which had been installed before my Pioneer radio installation.

Attached Thumbnails Pioneer AVH-P8400BH(2DIN) Installed in my Lexus ES 350!!!-c1096361-3f14-46c3-b3b2-7ead3e715368-5386-00000a0f80f2bd1e.jpg  
Old 01-03-13, 02:09 PM
SICK350
Lead Lap

Thanks twistedman your a gentleman and a scholar!
Old 01-03-13, 02:55 PM
twistedman
Rookie

Thanks twistedman your a gentleman and a scholar!
No prob! I can't wait to see what you end up going with inside your lex!

Quick Reply: Pioneer AVH-P8400BH(2DIN) Installed in my Lexus ES 350!!!