Sponsored by:

Shaved & Smooth, Just The Way I Like It

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-12, 12:34 AM
SC400DAVE
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shaved & Smooth, Just The Way I Like It

I received my Tune Trapper hidden radio antenna and I am about to go down and see how I am going to install this bad boy.

This will be the first step to eliminate the unsightly mast antenna that completely ruins the sleek lines of the SC platform.

I will be taking pics of the process and explaining what I do along the way for the good of all who hate the OEM antenna as much as I do!

I was going to wait to do this untli I was ready for paint, but it only costs $40.00 from here:

http://www.tunetrapper.com/index.html

I got the end fed antenna with the 6' cable. Just let them know where you plan on hiding it and they will steer you in the right direction. Luckily I got advise from another member (dlsoul87) who had already installed one. I'm going to first install it under the center console on the passenger side. I really don't want to take out the glove box. Stay tuned for more exciting updates.

Friendly customer service and quick shipping from Tune Trapper! Oh and they are made in the USA.

Here are the first pics of this project:

Disclaimer. I have no personal or business connections to Tune Trapper. Just found them by searching for "hidden antenna" on Google.
Attached Thumbnails Shaved & Smooth, Just The Way I Like It-dscn0039.jpg   Shaved & Smooth, Just The Way I Like It-dscn0041.jpg  
Old 08-18-12, 07:17 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Talking

I gotta admit, I loved the title on this one....
Old 08-19-12, 12:01 PM
Slammer1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Me too.....
You get that antenna put in yet?
Old 08-19-12, 10:18 PM
SC400DAVE
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Slammer1
Me too.....
You get that antenna put in yet?
Kind of. I set it up hidden under the center console, hooked up directly to the radio. Worked great. I tried to play a CD on the Sony CD changer that came with the car when I bought it and got too much static. The CD changer plays over the FM band. I had to relocate it to the trunk where the OEM antenna is plugged in. much better for the CD changer, but I also had to change the frequency that the CD changer "broadcasts" from. I was also able to unplug the OEM antenna, so no more "fishing pole" cast out the back of my SC when I want to listen to radio/cd. My next step will be to shave that thing completely off!

This is a very simple plug and play for most of you with stock radio and CD changer. I will post up picks when I get a chance. It should also be no problem with aftermarket head unit and hard wired CD changers.

Pics to come this week.
Old 08-26-12, 10:42 PM
SC400DAVE
Lexus Test Driver

Default First Things First For In Cabin Install

EDIT: Try to see if you can do the trunk install first. See post # 7

Ok. for in cabin install. First you need to get to the back of the radio, so follow the instructions here till that point unless your climate control needs fixing. One thing I have found out is once you start taking stuff apart, you might as well fix everything you can, while you can. ................See post #8 lol

The cup holder pulls straight up. grasp it from the inside and pull up.

Ignore all the tools needed in the beginning also if you are just removing radio. All you need is a Phillips head screwdriver (magnetized if you can so you don't lose any screws.), flat head screw driver, and panel puller tool if you have one.

You just need Section 1. Click here for radio/climate removal:

http://soarercentral.com/sc-forum/me...tml?1147299210

Last edited by SC400DAVE; 08-27-12 at 12:32 AM. Reason: UPDATE INFO
Old 08-26-12, 11:02 PM
SC400DAVE
Lexus Test Driver

Default In Cabin Install

Push the antenna under the center console passenger side and fish the cable underneath and into the cavity were the radio goes. Make sure you are getting good reception, then button everything back up. You are done. Enjoy.
Attached Thumbnails Shaved & Smooth, Just The Way I Like It-dscn0048.jpg   Shaved & Smooth, Just The Way I Like It-dscn0049.jpg   Shaved & Smooth, Just The Way I Like It-dscn0053.jpg   Shaved & Smooth, Just The Way I Like It-dscn0061.jpg  
Old 08-26-12, 11:40 PM
SC400DAVE
Lexus Test Driver

Default Trunk Install

The Trunk install was much easier. I ended up doing it this way because of the Sony CD changer that is in my SC. It works over the FM band and there is a connection to the antenna in the trunk. I am not sure that all SC400's will have this option to plug and play the hidden antenna. I would check this option first and save all the dis-assembly in the cab. Luckily mine was already apart or I would have taken pics of the console removal.

Pull back the carpet in the trunk to expose the OEM antenna. You will see the round plastic clips holding the carpet to the inside quarter panel. At the "top" of the trunk opening just pull the carpet straight back to expose the gas tank area. This is where I hid the antenna. The third picture is a close up of the spot I tie wrapped it to the wire loom. Take care when routing the cable that it does not interfere with the trunk hinge or anything else. Common sense will tell you where to tie wrap or attach the cable. (i hope). I just followed OEM wire looms etc....
Attached Thumbnails Shaved & Smooth, Just The Way I Like It-dscn0064.jpg   Shaved & Smooth, Just The Way I Like It-dscn2509.jpg   Shaved & Smooth, Just The Way I Like It-dscn2510.jpg   Shaved & Smooth, Just The Way I Like It-dscn2511.jpg   Shaved & Smooth, Just The Way I Like It-dscn2513.jpg  

Last edited by SC400DAVE; 08-27-12 at 12:36 AM. Reason: UPDATE INFO
Old 08-26-12, 11:54 PM
SC400DAVE
Lexus Test Driver

That little square silver box is where the antenna is integrated into the Sony CD changer. Simply unplug the OEM, plug in Hidden. I also disconnected the OEM antenna power so it won't "cast" out the back any more!
Secure cable with tie wrap or whatever you want to use. Button everything up after checking for good reception.

Not me. since I have the carpet all pulled back, I will be replacing the two trunk lift supports!

Is your trunk wanting to fall down on your head?...............
Attached Thumbnails Shaved & Smooth, Just The Way I Like It-dscn0065.jpg   Shaved & Smooth, Just The Way I Like It-dscn0069.jpg   Shaved & Smooth, Just The Way I Like It-dscn2514.jpg   Shaved & Smooth, Just The Way I Like It-dscn2503.jpg  
Old 08-27-12, 12:33 AM
dlsoul87
Driver

Happy to hear it worked out for you and like the reception.
Old 08-27-12, 02:51 PM
Slammer1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

/\ X2
I may have to look into picking one of these up. Gotta figure out where I'm gonna tuck it though. I've already got wires everywhere in the IS.