Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Stereo will not turn on until car is warm?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-12, 10:16 AM
hoosier58
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Stereo will not turn on until car is warm?

I have a 94 SC3 with a stock stereo. My daughter drives it, and we've had it since last Christmas.

For some reason, the stereo never comes on in the morning, when the car is under normal operating temperature (doesn't matter what outside temperature is). After you drive for a while, though just when doesn't seem to be consistent, the radio will come on if you push the power button. Each time though, the memory is gone, so the stations have to be reprogrammed. Once the thing works, the car can be turned on and off without it having to warm up again.

The CD changer is not installed in the trunk, if that might make any difference (though I can't see why it would), and it seems someone may have wired up an 'aux. in' of some sort. A wire hangs out of the bottom of the console on the passenger side with a cheap, L shaped, 3.5mm male plug.

Any thoughts why the car's temperature would matter?

I haven't taken the console out to investigate yet --- I figured I'd try to see what to look for first.

Last edited by hoosier58; 07-05-12 at 10:19 AM. Reason: adding information
Old 07-05-12, 10:17 AM
vicsis250
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Take it to a shop they should be able to fix it. It could be just a lose wire or fuse
Old 07-05-12, 04:14 PM
hoosier58
Pole Position

Originally Posted by vicsis250
Take it to a shop they should be able to fix it. It could be just a lose wire or fuse
That's not in my budget. My work van is in the shop right now trying to identify shifting issues, which they can't seem to nail down.
Old 07-05-12, 05:08 PM
vicsis250
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok I understand then what you are going to have to do is take the indash stereo out and check for lose cables maybe the other owner had an after market radio in it and when he sold it didn't put the stock back in right. Good luck
Old 07-09-12, 05:25 AM
irishcharm
Driver

it sounds like the power wire is somehow hooked up to accessory power or is just lose. if the power wire and ground wire are solid and connected then you will maintain your programmed stations. the accessory wire just turns it all on and off with the car on or off. So check the power and ground wire.

you never know what the guy before you did to the car........