Sponsored by:

Help! 93 Ls400 sub install

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-12, 11:11 PM
Joshcar
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help! 93 Ls400 sub install

Ok so I have all the wiring done and everything, got it through my firewall, all I need is to connect my amp and sub and I'm good.

One big problem though, the harness for my head unit. http://www.sonicelectronix. com/item_12706_Metra-70-8112.html

That's the harness I used because I have a Nak system and the regular connector doesn't work. As you can see it uses all 4 RCA's spots in back of my head unit. And i need to find a way to connect my 2 extra rca's for my sub/amp in my trunk...

Is there like a rca hub i could connect to my head unit which would allow me to connect all the speakers and sub?
Old 05-26-12, 11:25 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by Joshcar
That's the harness I used because I have a Nak system and the regular connector doesn't work. As you can see it uses all 4 RCA's spots in back of my head unit. And i need to find a way to connect my 2 extra rca's for my sub/amp in my trunk...

Is there like a rca hub i could connect to my head unit which would allow me to connect all the speakers and sub?
Link doesn't work, but I know the part. What deck did you go with? If you only have 2 sets of RCA's, you can add a Y connector to the rear outs to gain an additional RCA, but you need to keep in mind that you will not have dedicated sub control. If you don't care about rear speakers, you could drop the 2nd set in the harness and go straight to the rear out for the sub. Some decks convert the rear output to a sub out in the menu, so that may be an option.

If your deck does change the rear to sub in the menu, I would use the Y connectors to split the front signal between the front/rear input on the harness, use the rear only for the sub, and retain sub control.

Big Mack
Old 05-27-12, 09:43 AM
Joshcar
Rookie

It's a jvc kd r520 and I'll be putting two alpine type r's with an alpine digital amp.
If I add a y connector won't I be losing the rear speakers either way, so I may as well just replace the rears with the sub?
Unless I somehow run the rears through my alpine amp?
Old 05-27-12, 01:24 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Exclamation

It's a jvc kd r520 and I'll be putting two alpine type r's with an alpine amp.
If I add a y connector won't I be losing the rear speakers either way, so I may as well just replace the rears with the sub?
Unless I somehow run the rears through my alpine amp?
Did you read your manual or what I wrote? That deck has the option of controlling the subs with a non fading output. If you connect the Y to the front output, you run that to the rear input of the harness, thus retaining the rear speakers through the Nak system (it feeds the front signal to both sets, in other words). The only thing is that you lose fader control, but how often do you just fade the music to the front? If you do that a lot, why do you even want rear speakers operating?

Big Mack
Old 05-27-12, 05:01 PM
Joshcar
Rookie

Originally Posted by Big Mack
Did you read your manual or what I wrote? That deck has the option of controlling the subs with a non fading output. If you connect the Y to the front output, you run that to the rear input of the harness, thus retaining the rear speakers through the Nak system (it feeds the front signal to both sets, in other words). The only thing is that you lose fader control, but how often do you just fade the music to the front? If you do that a lot, why do you even want rear speakers operating?

Big Mack
I read what you wrote, I was at work so I didn't have the chance to check the manual. I don't care about the having the fader effect so it's okay if I lose it. But I don't completely understand where to connect the Y, this may sound dumb but if you could explain it step by step that would be great.

Also thanks for the help ! I was starting to get discouraged.

btw this link should work http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...a-70-8112.html
Old 05-27-12, 05:26 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Cool

But I don't completely understand where to connect the Y, this may sound dumb but if you could explain it step by step that would be great.

Also thanks for the help ! I was starting to get discouraged.
Glad to help, mang. We all learned somewhere, I'm just passing it along like was given to me.

You connect the Y (you will need two 1 male to 2 female Y's) at the back of the deck to the front output. This, essentially, gives you two left and two right outputs from the front channels, and you plug in the R/L from both front and rear inputs on the harness. The rear output from the deck is then hooked up to the RCA going to the sub amp. You will need to turn on the sub out in the menu on the deck, as it defaults to rear (AKA full range).

Big Mack
Old 05-27-12, 06:34 PM
Joshcar
Rookie

Glad to help, mang. We all learned somewhere, I'm just passing it along like was given to me.

You connect the Y (you will need two 1 male to 2 female Y's) at the back of the deck to the front output. This, essentially, gives you two left and two right outputs from the front channels, and you plug in the R/L from both front and rear inputs on the harness. The rear output from the deck is then hooked up to the RCA going to the sub amp. You will need to turn on the sub out in the menu on the deck, as it defaults to rear (AKA full range).

Big Mack
I think I'm retarded cause I still don't completely understand. However I thought of something else that may work. If I use two y connectors. And plug each male into my left and right rears which are also for sub. Hypothetically I should now have a leftr and right for my rear speakers. As well as another 2 for my sub. And then I'll still have the two for the front.
Old 05-27-12, 10:54 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Cool

I think I'm retarded cause I still don't completely understand.
I'm starting to think this, too. Totally kidding. It's kind of an abstract thought process when you're new to it, but you're close with what you have below.

However I thought of something else that may work. If I use two y connectors. And plug each male into my left and right rears which are also for sub. Hypothetically I should now have a leftr and right for my rear speakers. As well as another 2 for my sub. And then I'll still have the two for the front.
Switch this to the front being split and you're golden. The reason I say this is because the sub output from your deck, when switched on, is crossed over and can be attenuated by the deck if necessary by going through a couple buttons. If you don't do this, you would then need to get out of the car, turn the gain down on the amp, get back in the car, and repeat. If you have it controllable at the driver's seat, it's always more advantageous, especially when tuning, but that's a bit farther down the rabbit hole than we need to go right now.

Your way will work, but it's definitely not how I would do it.

Big Mack
Old 05-28-12, 08:14 AM
Joshcar
Rookie

I'm starting to think this, too. Totally kidding. It's kind of an abstract thought process when you're new to it, but you're close with what you have below.

Switch this to the front being split and you're golden. The reason I say this is because the sub output from your deck, when switched on, is crossed over and can be attenuated by the deck if necessary by going through a couple buttons. If you don't do this, you would then need to get out of the car, turn the gain down on the amp, get back in the car, and repeat. If you have it controllable at the driver's seat, it's always more advantageous, especially when tuning, but that's a bit farther down the rabbit hole than we need to go right now.

Your way will work, but it's definitely not how I would do it.

Big Mack
I see, that makes sense and going in and out of my car to turn the gain would get annoying. So i can use both splitter's on the front rca's and I should be able to have all my speaker's if I understand correctly since the ones from the harness are deciding where the signal goes? I'm gonna try it, just need to get my radio working :/ think I have a bad connection in my wires. Thanks for all the help man ! I really appreciate it. I'll let you know once I get everything working
Old 05-29-12, 12:48 PM
Joshcar
Rookie

Okay so I got my head unit to work again, 2 of the pins in the harness were in the wrong place so i had to take them out and put them in the right spot. But now when I plug in my ipod or even put the radio on the volume from the speakers is super low. I have my ipod at max volume and the deck as well and you barely hear it. I have yet to connect the sub because I want to fix this issue first.
Old 05-29-12, 08:10 PM
Joshcar
Rookie

Big Mack
Thanks so much for your help I finally got everything to work. The only thing is only one of the two subs is working. I have to find a way to connect both to the amp but besides that all that's left is the fine tuning !