Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Raammat, Dynamat, sound/vibration damping, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-02, 12:10 PM
CK1_RX3
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Raammat, Dynamat, sound/vibration damping, etc.

Alright guys, let's face it... The amout of door rattle with the "premium" sound system cranked up with the bass on 4 or 5 (or even less for that matter) SUCKS!

We all know this is a common problem with the RX... I searched and read the available info... A few discussions lead to people saying they were gonna check out Raammat or Dynamat, but I haven't found any posts where people have actually installed a sound/vibration deadening product.

Has anybody actually done anything like this yet? I think it's gonna be my next mod...

I know there's some info on here about how to remove the door panels - I think it was posted by Shonuff a while back... Gonna go look for that now...
Old 11-04-02, 12:35 PM
white01
Driver

Very "Un-Lexus" like indeed. Please let me know what you find out.

Thanks
Old 11-04-02, 01:25 PM
Daddy-O
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I went to my dealer @1K and again @5K. They used a felt-type material on my doors (All but the passenger side front door. That's coming @15K). It stopped the vibrations and really changed the sound of my system, making it clearer with much more punch.

No charge...Under warranty.
Old 11-04-02, 03:38 PM
CK1_RX3
Lead Lap

Originally posted by Daddy-O
I went to my dealer @1K and again @5K. They used a felt-type material on my doors (All but the passenger side front door. That's coming @15K). It stopped the vibrations and really changed the sound of my system, making it clearer with much more punch.

No charge...Under warranty.
Really... Very interesting... Daddy-O, can you post a few more details for me? I'd be interested to know which dealer you go to, if you know the brand name of the felt, etc... I've gotta do something - just went for a cruise over my lunch break and the vibration has gotten worse over the last year or so and is driving me nuts. PM me if need be...
THANKS!
Old 11-04-02, 03:52 PM
bx167

Question need more info

I also need some info on the speakers issue.
Daddy-O, can u provide more info on the felt?

I really need to fix it before the warranty expired. Is this issue really cover by the basic warranty?

Thanks
Old 11-04-02, 04:57 PM
Daddy-O
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry, gents. I do not know exactly what was used. My service advisor just referred to it as "felt". My dealer is Johnson Lexus in Raleigh, NC. They kept my car for 4 days in an attempt to correct this problem. It was fixed to my satisfaction, except the front passenger door. It was a Friday and I wanted my RX for the weekend, so the Service Advisor wrote in my record that there was one more door to work on.

Mind you, I had mentioned this problem at 1K, but it was raining and hard to hear the buzzing rattles...and got it on the record, so they were (and still are) on the hook.

Will a dealer warranty this issues on a 3-4 year old RX with 40K+ miles? Dunno about that.

Here's the thread I posted when I got the fix.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=50239
Old 11-04-02, 09:38 PM
Jonnystan
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You think the vibration from the stock speakers is bad....try two 12" subs with 900 watts pumping to them. Now that is vibration!!

Anyways when I put my subs in I found that the trunk rattled terribly. I bought a 4 foot by two foot piece of dynomat and placed it behind the paneling in the trunk (had to trim a bit-exacto knife). Guess what....No rattles!!! Even when bass is at full power I still dont get any rattles (in the trunk at least). I am planning to do my doors as well, but I am waiting to get some new speakers first. The stuff really works...and in fact you can buy it pre-cut for specific car doors. Not sure if there is one for the RX, but hey...if not....how hard is it to cut a circular hole in a peice of plasticy stuff?
Its kind of expensive though.....
Old 11-05-02, 04:46 PM
spinteews
Lexus Test Driver

ok this sucks big time for me...

I brought my car in to lexus and told them about the door rattle while doing my 15k service i think. They were not able to find the problem... So when i picked up my car i told them its there and i'm positive about it. So the dood bought a tech to me and ask me to show it to him. I showed it to him and he said theres nothing he can do, its part of the door. I was a bit ticked off and mad. So whatever...

After a few weeks i get really pissed about it and i figure something HAS TO BE DONE. So i check it out again and turn up music and bass and close doors and stand outside and the door rattles VERY NASTY. What i tried to do was apply pressure from outside pushing the door in and GUESS WHAT, NO RATTLES... it was quite interesting so i was ok *** It... i'm bringing it back to lexus.

I go back to lexus and tell them the door rattles once again... Service guy tells me that hey didn't you come for a service on this before? I said ya but they never fixed it and its a LEXUS it shouldn't happen. I showed it to him and showed him the pressure applying which stops the rattle and then he checked another rx3 out. Did the same thing, and same thing happens. He said he'll check with his techs also and then about a bit later he tells me its part of the doors CLADDING... SOmething about the cladding that is small an thin that makes it rattle... He told me the only way i can prevent this from happening is that i use dynomat or a smililar product. I told him earlier that i was gonna upgrade my system and dynomat the entire car... He said to apply the dynomat behind the door near the skeleton or something and that should prevent it.

I Left because they wouldn't budge to do anything about the problem... I was a bit ticked again... but o well. Since DADDY O was able to get his fixed... i'm gonna try it 1 more time... because this is redicilous... a LEXUS SHOULD NOT RATTLE NO MATTER WHAT MUSIC U LISTEN TO... IT S A LEXUS!!!!!!! and a STOCK SYSTEM!!!..

Sigh.... Good luck to all you guys... i'm gonna try again this week or next...

BTW, i will be dynomatting my doors and trunk very soon... my system will be complete sooner or later... hopefully hahha..
Old 11-05-02, 04:54 PM
CK1_RX3
Lead Lap

spin - let me know how it turns out for you... I think I'm gonna wait until my next oil change to address this "warranty" issue... I'm pretty pissed about the whole thing, and have really been dissatisfied from the beginning as well... I'd even be willing to do the dynamat/raammat install myself if Lexus would reimburse me for the materials! In fact, I would actually prefer to do it myself to make sure that it gets done RIGHT the first time. Here's to valid warranty claims and vibration free RX's!!!
Old 11-05-02, 05:58 PM
HarrierRX300
Lead Lap

Spinteews,
Mine's rattle too. I didn't bring it up to them when I brought my car in for 15K (how much for you btw; mine was $480)? Should we go together and tell about the problem?
Old 11-05-02, 06:44 PM
spinteews
Lexus Test Driver

i paid about the same price as you did and ya mabbie we shoudl go together... i'm just about ready to call lexus and tell them about the problem again. I will use Daddys info about how his lexus fixed it and see what they say...
Old 11-05-02, 06:59 PM
bx167

Thumbs up

spin, count me in if you are going to the dealership. Then, we will see what the dealership gonna say

bx
Old 11-05-02, 08:22 PM
spinteews
Lexus Test Driver

OMG i am quite suprised... i called Lexus of serramonte and told them what the goings on was and i talked with DEAN the dood from service. He was the one that checked it out the 2nd time... He said he will check with his service manager. I mentioned to him about Daddys Lexus Service!! and he said o so they did that as a good will for him? I told him i'm not sure but they put it down as warrenty... so he didn't say anything... He told me like he said before it might be the music we listen to but i said still.. its a lexus and it shoudlnt' be happning. He said ok he'll take a look and ask. I also mentioned that i was on forum and that most of us Rx3 owners are displeased with the rattle. and that i have another buddy (harrier rx300) that was gona come down to the dealership with me to talk about the rattle... (now 3 since bx167 is willing also). He said ok

I got a phone call about 2 hrs later and to my suprise its DEAN again. He told me that they want me to bring in my car and they would bring it to a local shop called ASP (auto sound perforamance) (it was the shop that did my mirror tint last time through dealer i think) and see what they can do about it. I am assuming everything is gonna be covered under warrenty... i forgot to ask that but it should be.

So i scheduled tomorrow and see what they can do about it.

The only problem i have now is... what to do... I am planning on dynamatting the doors, but they are going to bring it to ASP and have it looked at. Should i let them do what they gotta do, or should i insist or suggest to them that i have it dynomatted and i supply the dynomat?

I'm not sure, i just mainly concerned about the stock system rattling and about how if you have a stock system, the dealer is responsible... but when iget my aftermarket system installled, its all up to me...
Old 11-05-02, 11:00 PM
bx167

Hey spin, pm me what time you are going. Can u also double check if it's under warranty?

Thanks man...
Old 11-06-02, 02:54 AM
salimshah

Received 994 Likes on 898 Posts

spintwees:

As a customer, I would ask for a problem to be fixed and not propose a solution. If your proposed solution does not bring satisfaction, you have very little recourse.

Another convoluted option might be to let ASP provide you with an after market system and rattle free sound. If it rattles after that, you would go to ASP directly.

Salim

Quick Reply: Raammat, Dynamat, sound/vibration damping, etc.