Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

tone & probe vs multimeter

Old 04-16-12, 02:28 PM
CCJ22
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default tone & probe vs multimeter

I've never used a tone and probe. But I wonder if it's better then using a multimeter?

For example, if I am attempting to locate which wire is my turnsignal wire and I don't want to poke holes in a bunch of wires till I find the right one wouldn't a tone and probe be better?

Can a tone and probe be used the same way a multimeter is used?

I guess I am not sure of the difference between them other then I know multimeter doesn't send tone.
Old 04-20-12, 10:18 PM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can you explain what a "tone and probe" is?

But aside from that there is no better tool for testing leads than a multimeter. The extremely high resistance in a MM helps prevent very expense computers from going boom when probing wires!
Old 04-21-12, 12:42 PM
CCJ22
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mkorsu
Can you explain what a "tone and probe" is?

But aside from that there is no better tool for testing leads than a multimeter. The extremely high resistance in a MM helps prevent very expense computers from going boom when probing wires!
Sure. Essentially with a tone and probe you can (for example) turn on your left blinker, touch the probe to the wire you think is the blinker wire and it will detect the tone being sent from within the wire. Instead of literally poking holes in all your wires with a multimeter you can just "listen" to each wire until you find the right one for the blinker
Old 04-21-12, 12:43 PM
CCJ22
Lexus Champion

I think I ended up finding my answer after alot of google searching/reading.
Old 04-21-12, 04:51 PM
Nova
Lexus Test Driver

never used a tone and probe but i swear by fluke multimeter, loads of information. also i just picked up the Power Probe 3 it allows for testing of power and ground circuits as well as tell you voltage at point of testing, and you can supply power and ground to test motors and things of that nature. i havent used it yet but have been thinking about getting it for a while. i also work in a dealership setting so i could justify spending $160 on the power probe

also in the industry it is frowned upon to poke holes in wires to test for power. back probing connectors is also iffy on who you talk to u. it is best to keep the circuit in tact and operating condition
Old 04-21-12, 09:45 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by Nova
also in the industry it is frowned upon to poke holes in wires to test for power. back probing connectors is also iffy on who you talk to u. it is best to keep the circuit in tact and operating condition
Yes, bad form to poke holes, but not sure who you have been talking to about back probing. If you're pinning out a harness, that's pretty much the only way to work "live" on it. The other alternative, albeit a little time consuming, is to use a meter to test both ends for continuity. This requires you to unplug the harness, the bulb (in OP's case), use long leads, and probe the front of the receptacle of each. If you do a lot of work on the same vehicles day after day (such as a tech at a dealer), this investment in your time is worthwhile, and is how many techs learn what wires are what.

Big Mack
Old 04-22-12, 07:00 AM
Nova
Lexus Test Driver

i was taught that in my automotive school, but yes sometimes it is inevetable, they were also showing weather-pak connectors where destroying the insulation can cause condensation to get in and corrode the connector. but in the dealer setting i have been shown and taught to backprobe. like i said depends on who you talk to
Old 04-22-12, 08:01 AM
CCJ22
Lexus Champion

Good info, thanks all