Sponsored by:

W6v2 Ported

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-12, 06:15 AM
Yuri101
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default W6v2 Ported

I got my w6v2 installed in a ported enclosure with a JL 500/1 amp. I do not think it sounds good at all. I think it even sounds worse than my old set up that i had in my last car of a type r with a bassworx ported box.

I have always read that the w6v2 is one of the best sounding subs and that its much better in sq compared to the type r. In my opinion it sounds like boomy and not really good.

I was wondering why it sounds this way.
Old 04-03-12, 02:57 PM
Shibumi1
Lexus Champion

Received 84 Likes on 60 Posts

need more info... gimme a full break down of all the products in your car..as well as yr mk an mdl car
Old 04-03-12, 10:55 PM
PK_Celsior
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Yuri101
I got my w6v2 installed in a ported enclosure with a JL 500/1 amp. I do not think it sounds good at all. I think it even sounds worse than my old set up that i had in my last car of a type r with a bassworx ported box.

I have always read that the w6v2 is one of the best sounding subs and that its much better in sq compared to the type r. In my opinion it sounds like boomy and not really good.

I was wondering why it sounds this way.
what kind of box was it? is it a prefab box or a custom one you built? did you install the system yourself? did you get the system properly tuned? are you using a line input converter?
there is a lot of question that do need to be answer. I had a single w6v2 and moved up to two w6v2 and they where loud and clean.
Old 04-04-12, 07:27 AM
Yuri101
Driver

Current setup. Bass ****, w6v2 with 500/1, loc used in setup. Box was made apparently at stereoshop to its specs. Install was done at stereoshop . They were all used and are about 5 years old. I think they tuned it and all that since I payed stereoshop to install

Old setup used type r with mrp850 ( or something like that) in a bass worx box. U can find them at best buy. Had aftermarket deck and was installed myself.

Current setup is in 09 Lexus is250
Old setup was in 98 mitubishi mirage

Still if anyone has any ideas or thoughts they would be appreciated..

Last edited by Yuri101; 04-04-12 at 02:41 PM.
Old 04-05-12, 12:20 AM
PK_Celsior
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Yuri101
Current setup. Bass ****, w6v2 with 500/1, loc used in setup. Box was made apparently at stereoshop to its specs. Install was done at stereoshop . They were all used and are about 5 years old. I think they tuned it and all that since I payed stereoshop to install

Old setup used type r with mrp850 ( or something like that) in a bass worx box. U can find them at best buy. Had aftermarket deck and was installed myself.

Current setup is in 09 Lexus is250
Old setup was in 98 mitubishi mirage

Still if anyone has any ideas or thoughts they would be appreciated..

hmmm that is really odd!!! i wonder how they have the loc installed into your car!!! do you have a picture of the amp with settings that have been adjusted in already?
Old 04-05-12, 06:33 AM
Yuri101
Driver

Here are some of the pictures.
Attached Thumbnails W6v2 Ported-0405120924.jpg   W6v2 Ported-0405120924a.jpg   W6v2 Ported-0405120925.jpg   W6v2 Ported-0405120925a.jpg  
Old 04-05-12, 11:19 AM
93SC300.
Lead Lap

First things first, your Mirage and IS are 2 totally different cars. Lexus takes extra steps to make sure the cab of your vehicle is virtually free from road and outside noise. A cheaper vehicle like a mirage is exactly that. Its build much cheaper than an IS and things will sound much different in it.

A couple things you should take into consideration about building boxes and istalling systems in Lexus vehicles. Iam not expert audio tech by any means but ive had my share of issues with having a system installed in my lexus vehicles.

I have a SC300 with 1 13" W7 with a box built to specs and it pounds harder than most systems in most cars ive been in. My box is ported straight up through the 8" opening where my stock subwoofer was. Before deciding on a system, i had 2 10" RE's placed in my trunk with the lid closed and it sounded horrible. The sound just moved around inside the trunk. The port needs to be ported into your vehicle due to the fact that lexus likes to seal their trunks completely. Im not sure how your trunk is sealed but mine has a gas tank and a metal wall in front of it so the sound didnt go anywhere but through lil openings it could find. The cab didnt recieve any sound or bass. The roof of my vehicle vibrated like crazy cause the sound was traveling everywhere else.

Now im having a system installed in my LS430 that consists of 2 13" W7's. The box is built to specs with the rear deck removed and being replaced with a custom made deck to support 2 openings, one for each of the boxes to be ported up through it. This will ensure the sound is traveling into the cab and not into my trunk. I made this decision before anything due to the fact of it being done in my SC300.

The conclusion is, you might have to pay a lil more for the sound but you get what you pay for. Ive done this 2 times and it hasnt failed either time. I dont know how your IS is setup whether the trunk is sealed or not. I would suggest you have your box ported up, remove your stock sub and go from there. Im about 99 percent sure you will get the sound you desire. Ive been running a W7 in my sc for 2.5 years and im impressed with the sound everyday. Dont lose hope in JL... they produce quality products. take my advice and im positive you will be happy. Good luck
Old 04-05-12, 01:17 PM
swtjlsy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 93SC300.
First things first, your Mirage and IS are 2 totally different cars. Lexus takes extra steps to make sure the cab of your vehicle is virtually free from road and outside noise. A cheaper vehicle like a mirage is exactly that. Its build much cheaper than an IS and things will sound much different in it.

A couple things you should take into consideration about building boxes and istalling systems in Lexus vehicles. Iam not expert audio tech by any means but ive had my share of issues with having a system installed in my lexus vehicles.

I have a SC300 with 1 13" W7 with a box built to specs and it pounds harder than most systems in most cars ive been in. My box is ported straight up through the 8" opening where my stock subwoofer was. Before deciding on a system, i had 2 10" RE's placed in my trunk with the lid closed and it sounded horrible. The sound just moved around inside the trunk. The port needs to be ported into your vehicle due to the fact that lexus likes to seal their trunks completely. Im not sure how your trunk is sealed but mine has a gas tank and a metal wall in front of it so the sound didnt go anywhere but through lil openings it could find. The cab didnt recieve any sound or bass. The roof of my vehicle vibrated like crazy cause the sound was traveling everywhere else.

Now im having a system installed in my LS430 that consists of 2 13" W7's. The box is built to specs with the rear deck removed and being replaced with a custom made deck to support 2 openings, one for each of the boxes to be ported up through it. This will ensure the sound is traveling into the cab and not into my trunk. I made this decision before anything due to the fact of it being done in my SC300.

The conclusion is, you might have to pay a lil more for the sound but you get what you pay for. Ive done this 2 times and it hasnt failed either time. I dont know how your IS is setup whether the trunk is sealed or not. I would suggest you have your box ported up, remove your stock sub and go from there. Im about 99 percent sure you will get the sound you desire. Ive been running a W7 in my sc for 2.5 years and im impressed with the sound everyday. Dont lose hope in JL... they produce quality products. take my advice and im positive you will be happy. Good luck
this man is exactly right in his post. Lexus does seal off the trunk so the car must be ported into the cab for the sound to come in. the shop should have know this before doing the install.
Old 04-05-12, 01:34 PM
Yuri101
Driver

You solution just makes it sound like a fix to making it louder but not clearer
Old 04-05-12, 02:28 PM
PK_Celsior
Lexus Test Driver

i was looking at the pictures and i can see a clear visual of the **** but some advice i can give you is look at the Amp LP Filter and see what it is set at. That particular setting shouldnt be more than 80hz or you will be collecting mid-bass. Thats not what you want you want the subwoofer to take in lower frequencies. Do you know what the tuning on the box was done?? for the center frequency you want to set that to what the box is tuned at. So the bass doesnt hit lower than what it can't do. can i ask was your high/low input converter adjustable or not? i'm pretty much tryign to determine if you are clipping or not!!!
Old 04-05-12, 04:25 PM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm going to take a step back to help clarify.

You stated that you have a W6v2 installed. What size? Second, You said it was in a ported box. Then you stated that you were looking for SQ results.

Ported enclosures will give you loud, boomy bass. If you are looking for tight, accurate bass than a sealed enclosure might be what you are looking for.

Let us know what your expected results are. What size the sub is. And the dimensions and specs of the enclosure you have.

That info will help us greatly in helping you better your results.
Old 04-05-12, 07:37 PM
Shibumi1
Lexus Champion

Received 84 Likes on 60 Posts

make sure the loc is tied to a full range signal (not the subwoofer) that will cause uneven signal to the amp.. because the sub level lowers as the total volume increases.. so try hooking the loc to the front 2 channels.. it'll make a big difference.. most shops tie to the sub because its easier to access..

2nd i didnt see the setting for the infrasonic filter it should be (ON... from it i can make out its turned off) set higher than the 3db down point of the port tuning frequency.. if u dont know the tuning freq.. the try between 30 & 45hz.. the woofer will break up under the tuning freq of the port.. the infrasonic filter is a low end crossover stopping the woofer from playing notes too low to handle safely....

Last edited by Shibumi1; 04-05-12 at 07:47 PM.
Old 04-05-12, 08:44 PM
Yuri101
Driver

No idea what box specs are. I have tried a sealed box and still didn't sound right. As for wiring it to the front channels can I get some more people to back that up. And I'll try messing with the amp settings tommorow and tell u how that goes. And idk what a high to low converter is .

It is a 12 inch
I did this post off an iPod so it's not organized
Old 04-06-12, 01:01 AM
aznKewlguy
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

ditch the bass **** and ditch the ported box!!

Bass ***** only increase a certain frequency, IIRC it is 45hz. Not the deep "clean" bass that you are looking for.

And yes as someone stated, if your looking for SQ. Ported is not the way to go. Infinite baffle would probably be the best bet.....
Old 04-06-12, 04:53 AM
Yuri101
Driver

Removing bass **** while sealed was already tried barely a difference. btw when i did try sealed it did sound better, but not much better.

Settings in Detail:

Output - Ampfilter
12/24db - near 22
Filter mode - LP
Bass eq- on
"Q" - 0.5
Center - 20
Boost - near 0
Amp LP filter - slope, and underneath that says 24 db
Input voltate- low
filter frequency - 70
signal sensing - off

Infrasonic switch from off to on made it a bit better. Adjusted the setting to around 35 also

___
I'm going to keep messing with this until im satisfied lol

Last edited by Yuri101; 04-06-12 at 07:21 AM.

Quick Reply: W6v2 Ported