Sponsored by:

Best Budget Component Speakers + Amplifier

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-12, 07:17 PM
singleton
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Budget Component Speakers + Amplifier

I own a '98 ES300 and I was wanting to upgrade the sound system. I do not listen to hip-hop, mainly rock - I am mostly interested in a nice clean sound.

I have a tight budget of $300-$400 - I know that is not much but just looking to get the best I can for that budget and I figured upgrading the component speakers and adding an amplifier would be the best money spent - no need for a subwoofer really.

Any suggestions?

How about this: Polk Audio db6501

Not sure about the amp though maybe this: Kenwood KAC-7205 + Amplifier Kit

Please forgive me - I am a newbie when it comes to car audio.

Thanks
Old 03-31-12, 07:40 AM
AudioBob
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would suggest the Polk MM6501 over the DB series. It is an excellent set and can be had for around $200. The Kenwood amp would be decent enough to power either set of Polks
Old 03-31-12, 10:54 AM
singleton
Driver School Candidate

So why not the db series? Would be nice to save the money.

Also do you think I will be alright not replacing the subwoofer given my needs? If I did replace it would only be to replace in the exact location of the factory - no desire to build a box and place in the trunk.
Old 03-31-12, 11:26 AM
AudioBob
Driver

I have heard them both and th MM series is a large step up in every way. I had the MM series in my GS 350 and they were real nice. I upgraded to a set of Focal's which are just slightly better in all aspects than the MM's. Is the sub in the ES an 8"???
Old 03-31-12, 05:35 PM
singleton
Driver School Candidate

Yes the subwoofer is an 8" - do you think I really need to replace the factory one?

I have a small budget ($300-$400 or less) and I figured that installing a component set in the front and an amp to power them would be the best way to spend the money. I don't believe that I need to replace the subwoofer - for my needs (listed below) but if I did I would want to replace in original factory location (rear window 8") if I had to. What are your thoughts?

I am contemplating the Boston Acoustic SE60 due to the price ($90) and referrals on other threads - I understand the BA SC60 might be a little better but they are about double in costs.

Component Speakers: Any other suggestions better than this? I know the Polk MM6501 have got many suggestions on other threads but they are also maxing out my budget at $220! I understand that the Polk db6501 are cheaper but are also the entry level and I have not heard good things in regards to that.

The other two that I have been contemplating are: Massive Audio CK 6 and Cadence ZRS6K

Amplifier: I do not have a clue on this one - maybe Boston Acoustics GT-2125 (at $130 - a massive steal on this amp at this price!)

Would it be better to get a 4-channel (not a lot of 3-channels out there) amp that can be bridged in-case I do add a small subwoofer in the future?

I've tried to do some research reading threads, but please forgive me I am a newbie.

Thanks

Last edited by singleton; 03-31-12 at 05:40 PM.
Old 03-31-12, 07:14 PM
singleton
Driver School Candidate

I received some advice on caraudio.com and ....

I think that I am going to go with:

Component Speakers: Massive Audio CK6V ($170)

Amplifier: Boston Acoustics GT-2125 ($130)

Wiring Kit: Kolossus Fleks 4 Gauge Amplifier Installation Kit ($74 w/ S/H)

Install Kit Tools: Scosche TK12 ($15)

Grand Total of roughly $400

Money well spent given my budget? Any input is much appreciated - will not be ordering until next week.
Old 04-01-12, 09:25 AM
Banikid
Lead Lap

The Massive Audio RK 6 are more powerful. Those are the ones im planning on getting for my SC.
http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAu...ice_Comparison
Old 04-01-12, 01:24 PM
singleton
Driver School Candidate

I agree about them being more powerful but it looks as if their frequency range (65Hz-20kHz) is not as wide as the Massive CK6V (20Hz-22kHz) - not sure if that is of much important - I am still learning.
Old 04-01-12, 05:30 PM
AudioBob
Driver

I can't comment on the sound of the Massive's as I have never heard them. A few comments that I have heard concerning some of he Massive sets is that the tweeter is harsh and overly bright. However, i have heard many say that the mids are very beefy on most of the sets by Massive. I would not worry about the stated response of either set as a 6.5" woofer doesn't have much usable output in the very low octaves any way when you throw a decent amount of power at them. Mine are crossed over at 70 hz with 200 watts rms on them and they are at their max.

For now I am running my stock 10" sub in the rear deck off of 300 watts rms from an amp and it adds a decent amount of punch over the stock set up. You might be able to give the stock 8" a little more power and maybe you will be happy with it. I have a 13" Focal sub that I am getting ready to build an enclosure for and ditch the factory sub.
Old 04-01-12, 05:45 PM
singleton
Driver School Candidate

So you are saying that either of the Massive Audio component sets that I noted would be fine (comparison wise)?

Do you think that I need to go ahead and replace the factory subwoofer or can I just wait?

I was looking at the Boston Acoustics GT-2125 (GT Series 2-Channel Reference Amplifier • 125W x 2 Chan. @ 4 Ohms • 200W x 2 Chan. @ 2 Ohms) for $130

I would hate to have to purchase an additional amp to power an 8" subwoofer - or should I go ahead and get a 4-channel and bridge on set to use on an 8" subwoofer?
Old 04-01-12, 07:05 PM
Banikid
Lead Lap

Same here Im new to the audio world. Just been reading and getting confused. I just thought stronger speakers meant they are better but now Im learning that they are not.
Old 04-01-12, 07:09 PM
AudioBob
Driver

I like the 4 channel for the flexibility. You can either run it bridged to the components or run 2 to comps and the other two to your sub. Do you know the nominal impedance of your factory sub. I would get the nicer Massive set with the beefier mid. The Boston amps are nice and you can find them cheap now as Boston is getting out of car audio and their stuff is being closed out.
Old 04-01-12, 07:54 PM
singleton
Driver School Candidate

When you say massive do you mean the RK6 due to the added power?

What about the Massive Audio NX4 (1600W 4-Channel Nano Block Series Full Range A/B Car Audio Amplifier - for $170) paired with the Boston Acoustics G108-44 (8" G1 Series Dual 4 ohm Subwoofer @ RMS: 200 watts - for $76)

Brings my budget up to about $500 though - not sure what exact sub is the factory, but do you think that it essential to power the subwoofer and if not now but at least later upgrade and power a subwoofer in addition to the front component speakers?
Old 04-02-12, 04:07 AM
AudioBob
Driver

The massive CK6V seems to get better reviews and there are also many people very happy with their amps as well. You need to find out if the Boston sub is suited for IB mountings since you are planning to drop it in your rear deck. Not all subs can be ran IB as their construction and parameters need to be suited for it.
Old 04-02-12, 06:14 PM
Shibumi1
Lexus Champion

Received 84 Likes on 60 Posts

massive audio is awesome.. they are a lil on the bright side but i believe the crossover has 3db down switch

Quick Reply: Best Budget Component Speakers + Amplifier