Racer

Received 56 Likes on 40 Posts
Default LuxLink Remote Start ILLEGAL in state of Maryland

Remote Start Illegal in Maryland
Old 03-23-12, 09:05 PM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hopefully bill 990 is passed so it doesn't affect remote starters. If it did an entire industry in Maryland would crumble!!! Remote starts are the backbone of revenue in every electronics/car audio shop!
Old 03-23-12, 11:01 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

As is the case in many laws today, they were written before some of our conveniences were even invented. I would imagine this is similar, and designed to prevent theft of vehicles from people who were "just running inside for a minute" and decided to leave the car running, whether at home, the convenience store, or the pizza place down the road.

Since it's passed the hurdle of the environmental committee per the article, I don't think it will have any trouble amending the law, but I agree with korsu - remote starts are a large market, especially where it gets cold. Used to do a lot of them at the shop, and the $$ are always good since there are no costs that the consumer can avoid (IE - if the car needs a module, you sell them a module, not just throw it in).

Big Mack
Old 03-24-12, 07:04 AM
02Legend
Intermediate

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

It depends on the special police officer. I had one walk up on my car, try to open all four doors to see if it was unlocked. Mind you, I could see the car (running) the whole time I was in Wawa. He then went back to his unmarked Crown Vic and got his ticket book. I walked out and approached him about what he was doing. He was not in a good mood at all. Stated it was illegal for the car to be running and "unattended", I then asked him why do a lot of domestic vehicles now have it and they're sold throughout MD. He did not like that at all. I then told him there was no key in the car and it can't be stolen. So I opened the door and pressed the brake pedal and the car shut off like it should. He didn't write me a ticket, but reiterated that remote start was illegal in MD and walked away.